HBO series Vinyl

I'm surprised I didn't catch that post about Quiet Riot's Cum on Feel the Noize since that one was actually a remake of Slade's 1973 song

Oh, and True Detective s1 might have been the single greatest season of television in history.

It was really, really good, but the absolute best? I think it's good enough to be in the mix but I doubt I'd give it the nod.

It was almost certainly the most stylish.

Oh, and True Detective s1 might have been the single greatest season of television in history.
What made it so special? I watched every episode. It was good but not special at all. Nothing new, nothing groundbreaking. Wow, McConaughey didn't suck as much he usually does, lets give him an award.

Actually I thought Fargo season 1 was much better than TD S1. I mean TD S1 did kind of drop the ball at the last 2 episodes

Maybe you should start reading books if you dislike tits so much.

#shitoldpeoplesay
Think GoT would still be a bad choice.

I kinda get where @Seano is coming from though. While I think True Detective is a bad example, HBO has definitely played the gratuitous nudity card before in shows like True Blood and even GoT.

T

I kinda get where @Seano is coming from though. While I think True Detective is a bad example, HBO has definitely played the gratuitous nudity card before in shows like True Blood and even GoT.

Rome takes it all in terms of gratuitous nudity

Think GoT would still be a bad choice.

How was the D'addario scene with Harrelson not gratuitous? They put that scene in there so early in the season for a reason.

How was the D'addario scene with Harrelson not gratuitous? They put that scene in there so early in the season for a reason.

Maybe it is. To play the devils advocate though, maybe it was used as an illustration of why a decent family guy who seemed to have a supportive and attractive wife would sink to cheating. If I recall the scene right, doesnt he just show kinda show up late at night and BAM! He's got a drink in his hand and this smoking hot young girl is getting naked and throwing it on him? I could buy that explanation from a director.

Again. Maybe the D"addariboobs were "gratuitous". And they were damned certainly memorable. I just don't think the show overall was full of gratuitous and senseless nudity. I'm agreeing with you on HBO and even more so Starz using nudity to gain ratings. I just don't think TD was serious offender.

Also they used Quiet Riot's version of Cum On Feel the Noize which was released in 1983. The show itself is set in the mid to late 70's. I guess they forgot to make sure they are using songs from that era and earlier.,

Holy shit. I'm actually flabbergasted to read that. Scorsese is a freaking oracle of musical knowledge, and I recall an interview where he excoriated young filmmakers for being "lazy" with their soundtrack choices rather than choosing songs that were from the right period. He even talked about how he considered whether or not a character would have been more likely to listen to a song due to where he lives, where he frequents, or other details related to the character's socioeconomic status.

Scorsese didn't just create the series. He directed the pilot episode. Damn. That really is pretty huge, IMO. That just blindsided me.

I'm surprised I didn't catch that post about Quiet Riot's Cum on Feel the Noize since that one was actually a remake of Slade's 1973 song

I'm with ookii here I knew it was a Slade song I was just watching it and I heard this

What made it so special? I watched every episode. It was good but not special at all. Nothing new, nothing groundbreaking. Wow, McConaughey didn't suck as much he usually does, lets give him an award.
Is this the part where you demand a brilliant work of criticism to validate the show's brilliance, then because somebody doesn't feel like writing 15 pages just because you say 'jump' to convince you of something you would reject in spite of an Oscar Wilde essay retort, "Haha! See! Nothing special about it!"

If you want to string together more than two curmudgeonly sentences that amount to nothing more than a massive minority opinion, then I'll counter it with a critical work at least three times as long expounding on the show's greatness, since I can't find the longest essay I remember writing on the Dog about the show- about the S1 finale, and specifically how the show resolved the distance between its two main characters on the issue of faith and God. Because you don't seem to understand that the onus is on you. The show's greatness is accepted, acknowledged, canonized, and there is a world of writing out there, I'm sure, going into to great depth for why. You're not interesting in looking for it.

If you wish to meaningfully challenge this status quo the burden is on you. Give me something more than the emotional vomit of a butthurt Christian who has been accustomed his whole life to seeing TV shows validate the narrative that atheists are stupid, craven, and spiritually stunted. Because you and I both know that's what this is really about: your thin skin, and your inability to accept that our culture has moved past that.

Start a thread. This one is about Vinyl.

Last edited:
Saw the first episode. The line about the Germans knowing more about hate than anyone else had me in stitches.

I've watched the first two episodes. For the life of me, I just CANNOT understand all the criticism for episode one. I loved it. I thought it was fucking great.

Just more of Scorsese being awesome.

Is this the part where you demand a brilliant work of criticism to validate the show's brilliance, then because somebody doesn't feel like writing 15 pages just because you say 'jump' to convince you of something you would reject in spite of an Oscar Wilde essay retort, "Haha! See! Nothing special about it!"

If you want to string together more than two curmudgeonly sentences that amount to nothing more than a massive minority opinion, then I'll counter it with a critical work at least three times as long expounding on the show's greatness, since I can't find the longest essay I remember writing on the Dog about the show- about the S1 finale, and specifically how the show resolved the distance between its two main characters on the issue of faith and God. Because you don't seem to understand that the onus is on you. The show's greatness is accepted, acknowledged, canonized, and there is a world of writing out there, I'm sure, going into to great depth for why. You're not interesting in looking for it.

If you wish to meaningfully challenge this status quo the burden is on you. Give me something more than the emotional vomit of a butthurt Christian who has been accustomed his whole life to seeing TV shows validate the narrative that atheists are stupid, craven, and spiritually stunted. Because you and I both know that's what this is really about: your thin skin, and your inability to accept that our culture has moved past that.

Start a thread. This one is about Vinyl.

Interesting post. I definitely agree with the first two paragraphs.

But the third is interesting considering the finale of TD ended up, at least on some level, validating religious (or at least spiritual) belief.

everytime Richie does a line of coke its like hes having an orgasm, its hilarious. O and Hannibal riding his girl was epic.

Epic episode with an amazing ending.

Did anyone realize he was in psychosis before the ending?

Everyone finds nudity distracting. That's why HBO depends so much on it. Game of thrones is a great example of that. That's why all people ever remember of True Detective is Alexandra D'addario's tits.

Nah, I remember that entire season. I thought it was phenomenal. Her tits were the icing on that cake, though.

Also, any good nudity in Vinyl? lol

Olivia Wilde showed all tonight

I would HBO Go it, but I've got the internet, lol.

Is the show worth watching in your opinion? Keep in mind, I am the only person I know who likes Silicon Valley.

Back