HBO series Vinyl

boardwalk empire was the best show ever made imo. was hoping this would top it or be just as good. doesnt sound promising tho
Board walk lost me on the last season, before it was my 2nd favourite series behind the Sopranos

Anyone watching?

Pretty mediocre so far but they say "fuck" in literally every sentence so I know I'm watching an adult program.
It's the same in the show Billions. They cuss all the time despite that it's totally out of place.

just watched the premiere. started off slow but i ended up loving it.

It's the same in the show Billions. They cuss all the time despite that it's totally out of place.

David Costabile sounds ridiculous when he cusses, it's so damned forced.

David Costabile sounds ridiculous when he cusses, it's so damned forced.
Yeah, it's obnoxious. Last episode was like the meme "Murica f*ck yeah* when Axelrod held his motivational speech.

It's got a 78% on rotten tomatoes an 8.3 on Imdb. It's a good show by almost any standard but @Seano is scared of nudity
I'm not scared of nudity, I just think HBO relies too much on it to distract from mediocre writing.

Personally, I didn't think it was a good show but to be fair I only watched episode one. Its a show about the 70's that feels like it was written by someone born in the 90s.

I'm not scared of nudity, I just think HBO relies too much on it to distract from mediocre writing.

Personally, I didn't think it was a good show but to be fair I only watched episode one. Its a show about the 70's that feels like it was written by someone born in the 90s.

Sorry that you find nudity to be distracting.

Sorry that you find nudity to be distracting.
Everyone finds nudity distracting. That's why HBO depends so much on it. Game of thrones is a great example of that. That's why all people ever remember of True Detective is Alexandra D'addario's tits.

I wonder which year we would end up with when it gets to the series finale. So far its set in 1973 and they have already had appearances from New York Doll, Led Zeppelin and Velvet Underground.

Everyone finds nudity distracting. That's why HBO depends so much on it. Game of thrones is a great example of that. That's why all people ever remember of True Detective is Alexandra D'addario's tits.

GTO has a 95% with critics and 95% with audience, True Detective is at 85% and 97%.

Also Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey were both nominated for a Best Actor Emmy.

Here are the award nominations and wins for GOT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Game_of_Thrones

So it would seem that the consensus is that they are great shows but you can't appreciate them because you're distracted by the nudity.

GTO has a 95% with critics and 95% with audience, True Detective is at 85% and 97%.

Also Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey were both nominated for a Best Actor Emmy.

Here are the award nominations and wins for GOT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Game_of_Thrones

So it would seem that the consensus is that they are great shows but you can't appreciate them because you're distracted by the nudity.
Stop trying so hard. Are you implying I'm gay because I didn't think True Detective was the best thing ever? That's third grade level stuff.

Watching McConaughey and Harrelson make mean faces at each other for a whole season didn't do much for me and then in the last 2 episodes, it turned into a stupid buddy cop show.

Also, McConaugheys performance in that show is so overrated that it borders on absurd. All the guy did was make a stupid confused/angry face for the entire season while Harrelson gave him angry sideways glances.

matthew-mcconaughey-woody-harrelson-true-detective-1526430-616x380.jpg

Stop trying so hard. Are you implying I'm gay because I didn't think True Detective was the best thing ever? That's third grade level stuff.

Watching McConaughey and Harrelson make mean faces at each other for a whole season didn't do much for me and then in the last 2 episodes, it turned into a stupid buddy cop show.

Also, McConaugheys performance in that show is so overrated that it borders on absurd. All the guy did was make a stupid confused/angry face for the entire season while Harrelson gave him angry sideways glances.

You said that the nudity was distracting and that is why people only talked about D'addario.

I pointed out that Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey both received critical praise. I was also in the True Detective thread here which was 95% talking about how amazing McConaughey along with theories about who the killer was and how big the conspiracy was.

Despite those facts you can't seem to get over the nudity which leads me to believe that you have a problem with nudity in cinema (not sure why nor do I care why).

You have every right to not like True Detective but to claim that it's success was the result of nude scenes is laughable.

You said that the nudity was distracting and that is why people only talked about D'addario.

I pointed out that Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey both received critical praise. I was also in the True Detective thread here which was 95% talking about how amazing McConaughey along with theories about who the killer was and how big the conspiracy was.

Despite those facts you can't seem to get over the nudity which leads me to believe that you have a problem with nudity in cinema (not sure why nor do I care why).

You have every right to not like True Detective but to claim that it's success was the result of nude scenes is laughable.
People like crime dramas. But I think every mention I've heard of the show since it ended was about D'addario. Don't play dumb. You know lots of people watched that show for her.

I just didn't see the groundbreaking TV everyone else did. It was a mediocre murder mystery that morphed into a big pile of clichés. Buddy cops, the rich killing the poor etc.

With McConaughey, all I can really assume is that he set the bar so low through out his career that people thought it was amazing when he put in a performance that wasn't complete garbage. What was so special about him in the show?

I actually did enjoy the first half of the season, but still didn't think it was groundbreaking TV like so many seemed to think.

People like crime dramas. But I think every mention I've heard of the show since it ended was about D'addario. Don't play dumb. You know lots of people watched that show for her.

I just didn't see the groundbreaking TV everyone else did. It was a mediocre murder mystery that morphed into a big pile of clichés. Buddy cops, the rich killing the poor etc.

With McConaughey, all I can really assume is that he set the bar so low through out his career that people thought it was amazing when he put in a performance that wasn't complete garbage. What was so special about him in the show?

I actually did enjoy the first half of the season, but still didn't think it was groundbreaking TV like so many seemed to think.

Here is a list of the award and nominations for True Detective. You will notice that D'addario's tits did not get a nomination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_True_Detective

It won the Emmy for best directing, both main characters were nominated for acting. Now this might shock you but McConaughey also won an Oscar in the same year so It's pretty baseless to claim
all I can really assume is that he set the bar so low through out his career that people thought it was amazing when he put in a performance that wasn't complete garbage

That season was also nominated for best Drama and best writing.

It won for best casting and best Cinematography.

Again you don't have to like the show but to claim it was only popular because of nudity is a baseless claim and speaks more to your perception of nudity than the rest of the world.

Here is one of the threads.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/hbo-true-detective-v5-carcosa.2686007/page-51

Also they used Quiet Riot's version of Cum On Feel the Noize which was released in 1983. The show itself is set in the mid to late 70's. I guess they forgot to make sure they are using songs from that era and earlier.,
Holy shit. I'm actually flabbergasted to read that. Scorsese is a freaking oracle of musical knowledge, and I recall an interview where he excoriated young filmmakers for being "lazy" with their soundtrack choices rather than choosing songs that were from the right period. He even talked about how he considered whether or not a character would have been more likely to listen to a song due to where he lives, where he frequents, or other details related to the character's socioeconomic status.

Scorsese didn't just create the series. He directed the pilot episode. Damn. That really is pretty huge, IMO. That just blindsided me.

Oh, and True Detective s1 might have been the single greatest season of television in history.

Maybe you should start reading books if you dislike tits so much.

#shitoldpeoplesay

Back