HBO Pres tired of the "split" fights

Tony Manifold

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Ross Greenburg, HBO looking forward to second part of '10 - ESPN

Looks like the President of HBO Sports is getting tired of boxers arguing about purse splits as well.

The promoters and managers are bickering over splits and I'm getting tired of this split war every time a fight is to be made. I wish there was an objective voice in the background to tell them to stop the grandstanding. I think promoters, managers and fighters have to take a step back and analyze the situation a little more effectively. We need to make these fights. Boxing needs big fights, not just HBO. The sport needs big fights. Other than Pacquiao, Mayweather and maybe Mosley, none of these fighters we're talking about have attained superstar status. You need them to fight each other to create superstars. We're here with a big check and we're here to market all of these fighters when they want to fight each other."

He has a lot of power in the fight game. Maybe he can get the promoters and the managers to smarten up and get some fights made.

And people wonder why the UFC refuses to play that game, and plays it's salary cards tight to it's chest...

And people wonder why the UFC refuses to play that game, and plays it's salary cards tight to it's chest...

And people wonder why the UFC rapes it fighters

Fights are being made, this is only HBO trying to pay less and create shit matchups. The matchups they want to create are retarded sometimes.

Fights are being made, this is only HBO trying to pay less and create shit matchups. The matchups they want to create are retarded sometimes.
This.

Na instead the UFC gives us fights labelled as the biggest HW fight in MMA history only to have one guy barely able to stand up at the start of round 2 because of exhaustion.

I rather have fighters haggle over purse splits and take their time in making a fight than paying 50$ to see that dog shit. The only saving grace of the card was the Kurt vs Sotiropoulos fight.

Agreed. However I wish there was a happy medium between the fighters getting paid what they deserve, and the fights everyone wants to see being made.

Well.. you do have a point about the UFC, but this is not an attempt to pay fighters less..

the money that is on the table for the fight is the money that is on the table for the fight.. in the UFC, Dana takes the biggest chunk of that money.. this is different.. this is simply saying that the fighters need to stop letting the "split" of the money that is on the table, stop the progress of potential match ups.

The promoters and managers are bickering over splits and I'm getting tired of this split war every time a fight is to be made. I wish there was an objective voice in the background to tell them to stop the grandstanding. I think promoters, managers and fighters have to take a step back and analyze the situation a little more effectively. We need to make these fights. Boxing needs big fights, not just HBO. The sport needs big fights. Other than Pacquiao, Mayweather and maybe Mosley, none of these fighters we're talking about have attained superstar status. You need them to fight each other to create superstars. We're here with a big check and we're here to market all of these fighters when they want to fight each other."

crybaby.png

Oh, Wow; a trolling opp.

Marketing economics 101: “You get what you pay for”.

You can slap his face on an ugly T-shirt and sell dolls in his likeness till the cows come home, but Shane Carwin is, when you boil away all the hype, just a big strong dude with a 12 and 1 lifetime fight record, who comes from a wrestling background but doesn’t bother much with that because he knows how the crow flies in a real fight, and as such, being a principal of “the greatest fight in history” or not, he’s a guy who’s said to himself “I’m not good enough as a fighter to contend for the real money in boxing, even though my crappy boxing is what gets me into the top rung of the UFC”.

He’s a boxer with seldom used wrestling as his backup who’s set his career goals low based upon his limitations as a natural fighter, as is the case with them all, so he serves as a perfect, recent example of the old adage:

As investments relate to product, its garbage in; garbage out, and that goes for any fishing expedition relating to the procurement of talent or any other commodity.

Back