HBO Documentary Assault in the Ring

mikey0357

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Saw it this past weekend on HBO and all I can say is WOW! That was some a damn good movie. Had heard of Irish Billy Collins Jr and Luis Resto, but didn't remember much about it. Knew Panama Lewis from him training Aaron Pryor, and being in Mike Tyson's locker room back in the day and knew he was banned from the sport but never bothered to look up why.

Well, now I know, and this movie revealed ALOT more than just what was first thought at the time of the trial. We see the outcome of all lives affected by that fight and while some of this was already common knowledge, the movie does reveal alot of new info. Actually the film maker had to change direction with the movie once he found out the truth himself. Tragic story, definitely worth seeing.

Panama is a scumbag

He is and it kinda shocked me that he is still getting work training fighter. I guess his knowage is still there but I just didn't think people would want him to train them after everything he been though.

He is and it kinda shocked me that he is still getting work training fighter. I guess his knowage is still there but I just didn't think people would want him to train them after everything he been though.

What's sad is Panama is still doing well training fighters (albeit outside the ring) and Resto's life turned to shit after that fateful fight.

Anyone else who watched that notice that Panama says "understand?" after every other word?

It was a great movie.

I've seen this documentary. It's tragic, really.

BUT: The boxer who'd cheated is SO full of BS. He blatantly knew he was cheating, and he was in cahoots with his trainer, so all this "confrontation" stuff is a bunch of bull. Be a man, and fess up.

Remember the infamous "not that bottle, the one I mixed up special" controversy after Pryor-Arguillo? Kinda makes you wonder what was really going on there.

Remember the infamous "not that bottle, the one I mixed up special" controversy after Pryor-Arguillo? Kinda makes you wonder what was really going on there.

I was at a wrestling tournament and tried Perrier water, didn't do shit

on a serious note, Panama really is a fucking scumbag and its really easy to see Resto was lying about not knowing what was going on with the gloves

The scene where hes at Collins' grave was really too much.

Resto is just as bad as Panama. They both knew.

The answer to that is in the movie. Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, so go watch it.

The answer to that is in the movie. Don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, so go watch it.

Yeah, I posted that before watching all the clips. That documentary shows everything that is wrong with boxing, and why it's no longer considered a relevent sport. When the bad guys outnumber the good guys, you lose that 'root for the underdog' angle.

I'm torn on Resto. He obviously knew exactly what was going on, and admitted as much. But I also think he was weak mentally and completely controlled by Panama. Notice how many times Panama kept saying things like; When I get a good fighter and some money, I'll take care of you and your family.............

Translation: Keep your mouth shut and I'll take care of you. I have no doubt Panama had no intention of taking care of Resto, but Resto is just too slow to figure it out. It's almost like a battered wife.

If ever a video was to show the negative side to boxing, it is this.

How could any self respecting boxer still hire this scum bag? Human life, not just boxing, would be better if this kind of 'man' would die. (Lewis I mean).

Back