Hazing

I'm guessing the majority of people that come into this thread with a bad opinion of hazing have never been on many teams or in any tight-knit organizations. I've been hazed like you wouldn't believe on sports teams, in College, the Military and even in High School... And I had fun with all of it. Then I hazed the shit out of people when it was my turn to do so.

It's designed to weed out people with bad attitudes, people that don't want to be part of the organization, to build respect and to induct people into the group, whatever that may be. Most importantly, it's all in good fun. The instant it stops being in good fun, then it's something else entirely. And reasonable just people don't allow that to happen.

It's hard to imagine a situation where a group that someone would actually want to be a part of would cross any real lines, though I'm sure it does happen. But even if that's the case, it's the individuals responsibility to not let them cross that line.

This.

Of course you are going to get a contrary response on here because we are dealing with a bunch of social lepers.

It always seems so weird to me that on one hand society has traditionally held that sports was one of the pathways towards the masculine ideal, yet their is always that strange under current...

I honestly wonder if it's a twisted remnant of the old school greek mentor ship thing.

I don't know. When I was a senior on my teams, the thought of doing that to someone else never crossed my mind. It's pretty sick

It sounds like now you don't wish it had been less, is that right? That is what I should've asked, if you/they wish now it had been less then.

I don't wish it had been less now. I had a blast... The trick is to know it's a game, have as much fun with it as you can and make the most out of it.

We'd have to drink and do stupid shit all night then wake up and run through the Greek System in the early morning with the worst hangovers ever. So me and my buddy would get everyone together to go buy 'running outfits' for one day each week. We'd head down to the thrift shop and get 80's ski windbreaker outfits one day, jeans to cut into ridiculolous short shorts with boots another, etc. It made us laugh and earned the respect of the House. They could tell we wanted to be there and be a part of it...

Same goes with the public humiliation stuff. If you put aside being embarrassed and just have fun with it, you'll turn a lose situation into a win situation... and get respect for it. We'd have to sing embarrassing Karaoke songs at House Parties. I'd make sure I'd nail every single one and then walk away like a boss.

Last edited:
The lines will always get pushed and often crossed. Guys always get carried away. The leader's ego gets inflated and his subordinates will follow any order no matter how outrageous. There have been countless social psychology experiments conducted on this.

Exactly. It seems to me that hazing should therefore be discouraged, but perhaps the bonding effect outweighs the bad.

What's slightly amusing is that people from "tight-knit" groups that involved hazing tend to be more in favor of it. As surprising as the tendency that people that have been hit as kids are more likely to hit their kids.

i have heard some terrible stories of hockey hazings. glad i didn't play hockey.

In high school for football there were wedgies and other silly things like that, i flat out refused to have it done to me.... the guys respected that i got my back up over it. and i didn't take part when i was a senior. But i never tried to stop it happening to anyone else.

This.

Of course you are going to get a contrary response on here because we are dealing with a bunch of social lepers.

Haha.

Gotta love Sherdog, Buddy.

That's a very elaborate and disturbing guess.

It's the right guess.

The last one to "arrive" on the cracker has to eat it.

After it was explained to me, I simply said: "No." I got ragged on a bit but there was no overt coercion, people did it willingly. (Which in my mind is even worse.)

This.

Never been into hazing but it doesn't bother me that some people are. If a social leper is someone who has no friends, I'm not one.

Same goes with the public humiliation stuff. If you put aside being embarrassed and just have fun with it, you'll turn a lose situation into a win situation... and get respect for it. We'd have to sing embarrassing Karaoke songs at House Parties. I'd make sure I'd nail every single one and then walk away like a boss.

Lol @ karaoke being a punishment. Where can I sign up? I could sing bad music all day long. I would do it without any incentive.

Here's a question, should college fraternities be allowed to haze? Should there be any limits? I'm talking about stuff the hazee cooperates with/consents to.

It's the right guess.

The last one to "arrive" on the cracker has to eat it.

After it was explained to me, I simply said: "No." I got ragged on a bit but there was no overt coercion, people did it willingly. (Which in my mind is even worse.)

So he "arrived" on the cracker that he knew he had to eat? Then he has the nerve to get upset when you mention it, after he did that willingly? Time to cut that guy out of your life.

Here's a question, should college fraternities be allowed to haze? Should there be any limits? I'm talking about stuff the hazee cooperates with/consents to.

I don't know how you can stop it. Personally I'm against it. At least the stories I heard from guys going through it.

I don't know how you can stop it. Personally I'm against it. At least the stories I heard from guys going through it.

The military management stop the vast majority. They hand people their ass if they are found to be hazing.

Simply expel anyone found to be hazing pledges. That would stop it real fast.

The military management stop the vast majority. They hand people their ass if they are found to be hazing.

The people in charge of the military have decided that hazing is incompatible w/ their organization(I know, basic training arguably is hazing, but let's say "unofficial hazing").

If a fraternity says that it is compatible w/ their organization, there is a difference.

So he "arrived" on the cracker that he knew he had to eat? Then he has the nerve to get upset when you mention it, after he did that willingly? Time to cut that guy out of your life.

Naw, he's a good guy. Always was a good guy. We were kids trying to fit in. I'm teaching his daughter post moves

When he's breaking balls (during Madden) and I'm at lost for a wit or Im getting routed, I break that out as a last resort. He doesn't get mad, he just kinda shuts own and waits for me to shut up about it. We've all done things in are youth that are incomprehensible to us as adults.

These days I think hazing has its place as long as the coach, or guardian of the group is in on it, and can lay out the acceptable parameters.

It didn't sound like fun to me, so I didn't do it. But some people seemed to like it, so I was in favor of letting it go on.

You're right you may never stop it completely, but I think it has been reduced a lot due to administration pressure. Do you think the administration has the right to prevent it if students want to do it?

Naw, he's a good guy. Always was a good guy. We were kids trying to fit in.

We've all done things in are youth that are incomprehensible to us as adults.

I don't know how to answer. I think I will post myself singing karaoke whenever I come across an uncomfortable post which leaves me speechless. You're a good guy so...i'm just going to inch out of this discussion.

It didn't sound like fun to me, so I didn't do it. But some people seemed to like it, so I was in favor of letting it go on.

You're right you may never stop it completely, but I think it has been reduced a lot due to administration pressure. Do you think the administration has the right to prevent it if students want to do it?

Yes, particularly with minors. Actually anything associated with the school they have the right to set rules over

Last edited:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Back