Hayabusa Tokushu

The HoneyBadger**

Green Belt
Reaction score
Are these worth buying at around 80 bucks? I've been using my ASU gloves faithfully (18 months) for awhile but I was wondering if this would be a good buy. I've never used them but ive seen some favorable reviews wondering about peoples personal preference.

images

DSC_4894.jpg

Last edited:
Are you looking to get these for like boxing, muay thai, etc? There was a kid at the MMA gym I used to train at that had those and he ended up selling em on craigslist to buy a pair of Fairtex (which I personally don't like honestly) but for the price of the Hayabusa I'd just spend a little more and order from Juan (if you don't desperately need them) or a pair of Reyes is aso around that price range.

Are you looking to get these for like boxing, muay thai, etc? There was a kid at the MMA gym I used to train at that had those and he ended up selling em on craigslist to buy a pair of Fairtex (which I personally don't like honestly) but for the price of the Hayabusa I'd just spend a little more and order from Juan (if you don't desperately need them) or a pair of Reyes is aso around that price range.

I'm looking to start training even more seriously now. I do it all. I train MMA (now) and have had several Amateur Muay Thai fights and grappling tournaments. I'm looking to start fighting professionally or at the very least more frequently as an amateur.

I don't really need new gloves I just figured it would be better to have two separate pairs of gloves now one for bag work (My ASU's) and a high end very protective glove so I stop knocking down my partners (I really don't mean to hit them hard). The ASU's are really hard and haven't broken down in hardness at all since i bought them.

I'm looking to start training even more seriously now. I do it all. I train MMA (now) and have had several Amateur Muay Thai fights and grappling tournaments. I'm looking to start fighting professionally or at the very least more frequently as an amateur.

I don't really need new gloves I just figured it would be better to have two separate pairs of gloves now one for bag work (My ASU's) and a high end very protective glove so I stop knocking down my partners (I really don't mean to hit them hard). The ASU's are really hard and haven't broken down in hardness at all since i bought them.

I have the same ASU's and have for about a year, I use them occasionally. After hitting the bag with them for awhile they softened up pretty well, they remind me of Grant's in ways, I don't mind em but I have Boxeo and Winning gloves for sparring so they aren't used often by myself. If I was going to recommend a pair for bag gloves, I freaking LOVE my 12oz Twins that I've been using for going on my 3rd year in July but I also really like my Reyes gloves for bag/mitts. I personally feel like Hayabusa is overpriced stuff that is only lower/mid teir gear but I've never personally used it, only known people who did that ended up replacing it after only 8 months- a year or so.
Now if you're going for sparring gloves if you have the dough, get Winning man.. they are awesome gloves for sure! But if you don't want to drop the money on Winning I'd recommend Mimi Foam gloves from Ring to Cage (I don't deal with Ringside anymore) I also love my Boxeo I got from Juan and I also liked my 16oz Twins before I gave them to a friend who was using his bag gloves for sparring too lol.

I have the same ASU's and have for about a year, I use them occasionally. After hitting the bag with them for awhile they softened up pretty well, they remind me of Grant's in ways, I don't mind em but I have Boxeo and Winning gloves for sparring so they aren't used often by myself. If I was going to recommend a pair for bag gloves, I freaking LOVE my 12oz Twins that I've been using for going on my 3rd year in July but I also really like my Reyes gloves for bag/mitts. I personally feel like Hayabusa is overpriced stuff that is only lower/mid teir gear but I've never personally used it, only known people who did that ended up replacing it after only 8 months- a year or so.
Now if you're going for sparring gloves if you have the dough, get Winning man.. they are awesome gloves for sure! But if you don't want to drop the money on Winning I'd recommend Mimi Foam gloves from Ring to Cage (I don't deal with Ringside anymore) I also love my Boxeo I got from Juan and I also liked my 16oz Twins before I gave them to a friend who was using his bag gloves for sparring too lol.

I don't even know where to buy Winnings and aren't they more for boxing? Or am I just way off base? ( I can't really afford them anyway)

I used them in Muay Thai for awhile but usually just used my Casanova or Shevlin gloves because it was easier to clinch (detached thumbs) If the price range you're staying around is the same as the Hayabusa I'd recommend Reyes, R2C or Twins. I know Clamp really likes Ring to Cage gloves and he does Muay Thai. I also forgot about Golden Gear, they make pretty good gear for the price and are Thai styled gloves I believe

Do not buy Tokushu.I'm serious.These are the most uncomfortable gloves that I've ever used.And also they're really overpriced.Buy Winning,Reyes etc., but not Hayabusa.You'll regret.

sorry to butt in the thread but where can you buy reyes for $100? :O

Pretty sure one of the cheapest around is Lockwoods and they are $130 for 12oz, $135-$140 for 14-18oz. I'm not 100% sure they are the cheapest around but most people I know order their Reyes from there and are extremely happy with the gloves.

I actually emailed them about a month ago asking if they were getting Green, Orange or Brown Reyes back in and they told me they are getting Green in again sometime soon and if I wanted they could hold a pair for me.

Cant speak for that specific model but getting hit with hayabusas is like getting hit with a brick, i really dislike the glove for sparring. If you're on a budget I'd recommend twins for sparring. Padding is softer and more forgiving on your partners

Tokushu padding is completely different to the regular 16oz Hayabusas. Theyre nothing alike. The Tokushu padding is fine for sparring.

The gloves aren't exactly "pretty" but they're very protective, for your knuckles and for your wrist, much more so than Fairtex or Twins or some of the other brands mentioned. I have a review of them where I said pretty much the same

I disagree with the above statement very strongly.

Can you tell us why? I am not calling you out- I'm just curious to know more about the gloves themselves :icon_chee

Well, Ive been hit with pretty much every glove mentioned on this thread and that is how I learned that I dont like Hayabusas, I dont find them to be good sparring gloves. In the ones I have played with, I felt that the quality was lacking and the wrist protection was not as good as other brands.

To me, Hayabusa just seems like a wast of $$$ when you can get something from Twins for much less and is a proven glove that is well regarded.

IMO, If you are doing Muay Thai, get a glove from a reputable MT company, If you want to go to an MMA gym and dress the part, get hayabusa and stuff like that. The pair of Hayabusas that I owned didnt last very long at all, maybe 6 months of being rotated 2 times a week at most. The velcro tore off and they got packed out pretty quickly.

I know people want to buy flashy gear but the solid Muay Thai gear companies have served me much better than other gear. All of my Fairtex, Windy, Twins, top King stuff has been great, never an issue. Every time Ive bought MMA/ufc oriented gloves, Ive been dissapointed.

disagree with the above. The tokushu padding is absolutely fine for sparring and bag work. By the way, and I mean this not as an insult, if you've been hit with every glove in this thread I highly recommend learning to slip punches, or at least maintain a stiff jab with lateral footwork, or maybe sparring partners maybe more your ability. What bothered me initially about the tokushu is that is was synthetic leather for 129.99 new. But when I found out my friend's Winning headgear that he's had for 3 years and looks absolutely brand new was also synthetic, it eased my anxieties a bit. I still preferred to buy the kanpeki 2.0 (couldn't be happier by the way) because the tokushu is WAY too flashy for me, but from what I've seen the tokushu is a durable reliable, good all around glove. I personally hate that palm padding bullshit and would rather have just leather over my palm to play catchers mitt. The wrist support is fantastic, easy on and off, not much else to say. If you can swallow the synthetic leather deal that I couldn't get over then I think you will like them.

Absolutely agreed with Mino. Btw your Tokushu review is awesome mate!

Tokushu are very protective, excellent for any kind of training. Unlike the previous Hayabusa model.

Also I have tried Tokushu plus size (new model), like them a lot better. They are more roomy, feel better and the thumb is much more comfortable.
Also it seems (maybe I just got a better pair) the new batch of Tokushu is a bit more precisely crafted.

The price is a bit steep, but I would definitely pick up them over IMF.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said shihtzu, and MEGAhorse, too

Well, Ive been hit with pretty much every glove mentioned on this thread and that is how I learned that I dont like Hayabusas, I dont find them to be good sparring gloves. In the ones I have played with, I felt that the quality was lacking and the wrist protection was not as good as other brands.

To me, Hayabusa just seems like a wast of $$$ when you can get something from Twins for much less and is a proven glove that is well regarded.

IMO, If you are doing Muay Thai, get a glove from a reputable MT company, If you want to go to an MMA gym and dress the part, get hayabusa and stuff like that. The pair of Hayabusas that I owned didnt last very long at all, maybe 6 months of being rotated 2 times a week at most. The velcro tore off and they got packed out pretty quickly.

I know people want to buy flashy gear but the solid Muay Thai gear companies have served me much better than other gear. All of my Fairtex, Windy, Twins, top King stuff has been great, never an issue. Every time Ive bought MMA/ufc oriented gloves, Ive been dissapointed.
So youve never owned the glove in question?

Not sure how you can even hold a strong opinion on the subject one way or the other

I do agree though, that the first gloves hayabusa made, both the pro 16 oz and the kanpeki 1.0 16 oz were flawed. Since they were advertised as sparring gloves and only available in 16 oz, that made the decision harder for the athlete to cough up that amount of money. In fact it was even joked at my gym who would have to face the kanpeki's. It's probably what earned them this reputation.

But this is a whole different glove. Also what I don't understand is why the ikusa is getting so much praise, yet the tokushu and kanpeki 2.0 are getting derided. If you're concerned with hand health you're okay, because the padding seems to be the same. If you're talking wrist health, that's a totally different game. The tokushu and kanpeki 2.0 have an interesting feature right above the wrist, which consists of hardened padding and stitching to form what I think is hands down the best wrist support from a hook and loop glove (laces are still the best imo). It actually prevents the wrist from moving both up and down, making them really good for bag and pad work. It also doesn't interfere with defensive maneuvers like playing catcher's mitt and parrying with your lead hand. Also, if you have $99, there's a good chance you can cough up the extra 29.99 for what is clearly the better glove. Also hayabusa's tend to take the users shape quickly, I think that is something to consider when ever trying someone else's gloves on in general. This is all my opinion, though I was skeptical of hayabusa at first, they seem to be trying to do the right thing and getting there at least.

It's absolutely a great idea to have more than just one pair of gloves. It promotes longevity in your gloves, keeps them in better shape, and most importantly... keeps them from smelling like so many gloves do! If you're a "heavy" puncher, pick up the Hayabusa Tokushu Plus, if not the standard 16 oz. Tokushu gloves are great. ( I have 2 pairs and love them. Going on 2 years now.) If the Tokushu doesn't suit you, the Fairtex gloves are also GREAT. Both gloves are very well constructed and are high quality, I'd say top 2 on the market. I also saw these on sale at ocfightsupply.com check it out.

Back