Hayabusa Tokushu 16 oz Plus Review - REPEAT! -

Gonzaginator

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
First off I'd like to thank shihtzu for introducing me to these gloves with his great review. :cool:
I just got back from the gym, I'll add some pictures later on hopefully but again shihtzu has some pretty nice pictures if you're wondering what these gloves look like. The lighting here is pretty bad right now and I don't want to put up some crappy pictures so maybe tomorrow I'll add some. Meanwhile here's a quick one I just did, they're next to some black Hayabusa 16 oz Pro MMA Sparring gloves:

untitled17p51ucobav.jpg

I didn't plan on making another review on these gloves because I felt like shihtzu basically covered everything but I guess doing another review of the same product definitely doesn't hurt especially when somebody is on the fence and trying to figure out if he should buy these gloves or not. In that case more reviews are a big help. Anyway, enough with this crap, let's get going. :icon_lol:

Haya..what? Some info on the glove by Hayabusa:

Only the tokushu

Last edited:
Overall Rating: ~8.7 / 10
So here's my final rating for these gloves. Again, I'm just one training session in, about 30-45 minutes on the bag. This is way premature to rate these gloves. But so far I'm very impressed with the gloves. I love the padding, love the protection these gloves offer to your hands and wrists. In fact I like them so much I might get another pair, but the regular Tokushu's that I will be using on the bag only. I think they're a lot smaller and they'll be lighter as well. But I'll keep these and use them for workouts on the bag and especially for sparring sessions as they are pretty big and have soft padding. If you have big forearms I'd definitely recommend these gloves. If you don't have big forearms you might wanna go with the regular Tokushu's. I was offered a good deal on these gloves so I had to get them, and they definitely look awesome and very bright. That's really all I can say for now. Love everything about the glove except for the wide wrist area and maybe part of the craftsmanship (loose threads). Hayabusa's quality control needs to step up here and fix this issue. This isn't acceptable to ship out gloves that have loose threads hanging off the glove. It's not a problem for me to cut or burn them off but really if you produce something you want to make sure the equipment looks clean and people from your company went over the glove and gave their ok. But when you have loose threads hanging around you don't feel like that's what they did. Anyway, these gloves are awesome. They're my new primary bag and sparring gloves. They'll give me a good workout. If I'm looking to work on my technique I'll use some smaller/lighter gloves or like I said get another pair of Tokushu's in 12-14 oz maybe.

Great review. Just wondering, but how do you like the older 16oz pro boxing gloves?

Actually I really like them, the only thing I don't like is the cheap / stiff / dense padding. Hitting the bags with these (especially hard bags) gives me a lot of knuckle pain after a couple minutes so I always have to look for a softer and lighter bag and that's when I enjoy having these. They are extremely compact for 16 oz gloves, they almost feel like Pro fight gloves in XL version. The leather is very thick and durable, the closure system and the lining inside is similar to what they used with the Tokushu gloves. If they were as compact and narrow as the black Hayabusas they'd be my favorite gloves ever. :icon_lol:

Agreed on all points. That glove is by far the most durable glove I've ever had. I've had them almost 3 years and they still look new. That really goes for all my hayabusa stuff, most of it is 2-3 yrs old and hasn't degraded at all.

Yeah they are extremely durable, the leather is high quality. I actually had another pair of these in white but sold them a while back when I sold most my gear. Then I got them in black again. :D
Great gloves, just wish the padding offered more knuckle protection.

Good review gonz I'm surprised though that you don't think the knuckle protection is all the way there. Not arguing just surprised.

I was talking about the MMA Pro Sparring glove. :D
Or did I miss something?

Gotcha sorry I musta got all jumbled up!

Prob best review I've seen I also have these gloves! I have in black and grey there def good gloves

Prob best review I've seen I also have these gloves! I have in black and grey there def good gloves
Thanks man appreciate it. I thought I was a little rusty. :D

How are the gray ones you have? I'm thinking about getting them because the plus size version is a little too big for my hands. Hoping the regular Tokushu's are more compact and narrow.

Thanks man appreciate it. I thought I was a little rusty. :D

How are the gray ones you have? I'm thinking about getting them because the plus size version is a little too big for my hands. Hoping the regular Tokushu's are more compact and narrow.

Grey are fine, so are Kanpeki 2.0 or GSP. They all are much narrower and VERY compact. However all of them have a significantly worse thumb (awkward), not an issue if you cut the attachment like I did with my Kanpeki (and Tokushu previously) - thumb stays where it used to be (won't injure it) but is no longer awkward.

Amazing review!

Also thank you very much for the credit, I didn't deserve it :)

Huh. I guess Hayabusa tries very hard to put out gloves that are excellent...EXCEPT for that ONE big flaw. :icon_lol:
Just so they can come up with a new glove later to fix that issue. And then add a different one. :p

Huh. I guess Hayabusa tries very hard to put out gloves that are excellent...EXCEPT for that ONE big flaw. :icon_lol:
Just so they can come up with a new glove later to fix that issue. And then add a different one. :p

They seem to be very self-confident I am afraid. Despite several things are obviously silly: thumb position, mesh with Kanpeki :rolleyes: and a couple of others, they believe the gear is perfect as it is :)

OMG what dumb puts mesh in drum dyed leather gloves?!

Last edited:
Just pulled the trigger on another pair of Tokushus. This time I went with the 14 oz version because I need some compact gloves mainly for the bag. Also sold my Rival RS2V in the process. :wink:

Nice Gonz, let us know what the difference is once you get gloves in/on hand.

Will do. I'm mostly interested in how they compare in terms of their size, otherwise they are pretty much the same I guess.

yeah, but Fit can change EVERYTHING in a glove despite them being identical.

Definitely. It would be an entirely different glove if they are a bit smaller and more compact. Hopefully that's the case.

Back