having trouble getting the last 6 to 8lbs off

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I recently lost about 25lbs. It took about 4.5 months of a lot of bjj and maintaining a good diet. Due to sanity purposes, I'm not extremely strict on my diet. A typical day looks like this:

Morning - Wheat Bagel, cream cheese (light), sliced tomatoes and a coffee

Lunch - Filet of Salmon and veggies or Chicken and Veggies (sometimes some rice - usually brown, sometimes a little white)

Dinner - turkey burger with wheat pita (no cheese) or a few pieces of sushi (salmon or tuna) and a miso soup, sometimes a six inch subway sandwich (chicken breast and veggies only, no cheese or mayo)

Out of 21 meals in the week, I usually take 3 to 4 and eat whatever I want.

I've had some good success losing weight but feel like I might be plateauing. This week I started doing windsprints and a few bodyweight exercises two mornings a week and started lifting weights two nights a week - this is in addition to 4-5 x 2 hour sessions of bjj a week.

Any advice on getting this last 6 to 8 pounds of fat off would be greatly appreciated!

Also, any estimates of how long it should take to get the rest of this weight off would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks Guys!

i would think that the last few pounds is always hardest for a reason, as in your body wants to be carrying 15% bodyfat and not 13% or whatever. supposedly it takes a long time to actually decrease your number of fat cells if at all, so either expect a very slow process or look at it like if you're looking to get shredded, you're going to have to have reasonable expectations as in you're going to have to periodize in a way that puts you in full catabolic mode.

if you look at the way athletes and bodybuilders prepare for events where they to peak and carrying extra fat is disadvantageous, it's not like they just cut water. they bulk and then cut hard to some point where it would be prolly impossible for them to maintain.

then if you look at people like football, tennis players, and the like where they have to maintain an even fitness level, often how ripped up they look is largely determined by genetics.

It seems strange to me that you're "trying lose the last 6 to 8lbs," yet you also say you're not strict with your diet. By definition, "the last 6 to 8lbs" will require a strict diet.

Some problems, at first glance:
-You're still eating dense and/or processed carbs.
-You're hardly eating any fat.
-You're cheating on your diet. 1 meal every other day of "whatever you want" will kill most people's attempts to lose weight once they have plateaued.
-You haven't read the FAQs.

It seems strange to me that you're "trying lose the last 6 to 8lbs," yet you also say you're not strict with your diet. By definition, "the last 6 to 8lbs" will require a strict diet.

Some problems, at first glance:
-You're still eating dense and/or processed carbs.
-You're hardly eating any fat.
-You're cheating on your diet. 1 meal every other day of "whatever you want" will kill most people's attempts to lose weight once they have plateaued.
-You haven't read the FAQs.

Agreed, I understand that the cheating might set me back a bit. I cheat for a couple of reasons
1) I don't think I'd be able to maintain a good diet without cheating a little - I'd simply burn out.
2) I do this to get my fats and to make sure my body is used to processing saturated fats
3) Sometimes you're in situations where you just can't eat healthy (bbqs etc)
4) I feel that taking 3 meals out of 21 or 1 day out of 7 to eat crave foods is not really that bad.

In regards to the dense or processed carbs, can you give me examples of what those are and maybe some suggestions on what I can replace them with? Thanks in advance!

PS You're right I haven't read the FAQs but I will... Busted lol. Thanks for your help though.

"Cheating" (such a vague, loaded word, but that's another discussion) is fine in regular, healthy diet, but not when you're struggling to lose those last few pounds.

You need to eat your fat every day, and you definitely need to stop associating "fat" with "cheat."

Processed/Dense Carbs in your diet: Bread, rice, bagel, pita, etc.

If I cut the "cheater" meals out and lay off the dense carbs, can I go back to a healthy yet semi normal diet when I hit the results I want? If so, I think I can get a little stricter for the next few months.

Do you have any recommendations on foods I can eat to make my diet a bit better? Would guacamole and hummus be good fats to add to my diet - Also, what are good examples of better carbs to eat?

Also, what are good examples of better carbs to eat?

Veggies. Lots of them. Like a serving of veggies with every meal. Especially leafy greens like spinach, broccoli, kale, etc.

Back