Having trouble determining what gloves I should start with

Is there a specific model you prefer ?

I've had the RS2V and RS11V. They were both great. When you're just starting out get something with Velcro. Both gloves offer great wrist support, have good padding and are durable.

If you're buying headgear I'd recommend Rival as well. Everything else I've used has sucked compared to rival's head gear.

Hey Virtually Identical, what did you end up going with? You must have picked something out by now, but for what it's worth, I second the 16oz RS11V. Made for sparring but feels good on the bag. Great wrist support and protection, and not astronomical prices.

Hey Virtually Identical, what did you end up going with? You must have picked something out by now, but for what it's worth, I second the 16oz RS11V. Made for sparring but feels good on the bag. Great wrist support and protection, and not astronomical prices.
I know a few people that use this glove for all round use

I vote tooboxer alien too!!!!!
Small and snug, they hug you hand and have decent thick padding at 16oz. The cuff could be a little longer for better wrist support but it's still good.

I got the stock aliens so the customs would be a dream I'm sure.

I don't even care if this is a super old thread :rolleyes:

I'm a beginner looking to buy gloves I'm 5'11 with small hands is the 16oz a good size for hitting the bag and sparring?

Last edited:
has anyone printed a custom design before on the gloves?

i have some yokkao gloves and the design on them are good, not sure if they're heat transfer vinyl or screenprinted heat transfer though.

qe838mkdsnn61.png

I vote tooboxer alien too!!!!!
Small and snug, they hug you hand and have decent thick padding at 16oz. The cuff could be a little longer for better wrist support but it's still good.

I got the stock aliens so the customs would be a dream I'm sure.

I don't even care if this is a super old thread :rolleyes:

I may be looking to get some of these Top Boxer soon. Looking forward to try this brand out. Have heard nothing but good reviews of these.

Not much in the way of complaints for my topboxers except that they're big and pillowey, which is not my favourite. (Comparison with Winning is not correct, as those are compact and pillowey.) But good price, very solid build, came quick, good wrist support.

Not much in the way of complaints for my topboxers except that they're big and pillowey, which is not my favourite. (Comparison with Winning is not correct, as those are compact and pillowey.) But good price, very solid build, came quick, good wrist support.
I am an older former amateur fighter (57) and have 44 years of experience in punching things. Bags, mitts, tires, rolled mattresses, water bags and lots and lots of people. Topboxer gloves are outstanding. Great value and exceptional quality. I am unconcerned with heavier gloves for training. I use 20oz and occasionally 18oz for very good reasons to me personally. I am unconcerned with my punches being parried. I have sparred and fought all over the US and Mexico. I have seen posts here where the the author is bemoaning heavier gloves because his shots are parried and he gets tired. First, it’s sparring, not the Olympic box-offs. Second and most importantly, I spend a lot of time engaging in training activity for the sole purpose of getting tired so I can BEGIN my boxing training. That’s when real training is just getting started. Anyone can train or spar when fresh. How about getting asked to spar after your finished training for 2-3 hours and are leaving the gym? What separates a great fighter from those like me who are at the periphery of boxing (most who train boxing and MMA) is a real pro is not afraid to get tired...very tired. Well, there are other considerations that kept me an amateur all those years, but it wasn’t a fear of fatigue. 20oz gloves are big by the very nature of their weight. I love the sensation of training my shoulders, arms and chest that comes from training with heavier gloves. I weigh 183lbs/83 kilos and bigger fighters need bigger gloves. My son, who is about 184 currently (cutting from 199 and big gym muscles) and needs to get down to 165, likes using lighter gloves on the mitts and double end. He says it improved his accuracy and made him sharper. I would agree based upon my observations of him at our boxing gym. I have 2 pairs of TopBoxer’s custom gloves in 20oz for sparring.
8786DB21-8160-4A89-A1FC-8211147DECC4.jpeg This pair is a custom Win1 in 20oz.
1DF662C3-B8D2-4E47-945D-4D941E84FD35.jpeg This is a pair of custom Aliens in 20oz.
4C9CEA7F-BB64-4B2F-8D61-C0318239F8D4.jpeg This is a pair of Everlast MX in 20oz.

I spar at least once a week now that the gyms are reopened and often twice a week. I think all 20oz gloves would be considered big and pillowy if you’re accustomed to using lighter gloves. But my TopBoxer’s are no bigger or more pillowy than my Everlast gloves. Now I’m not saying that lighter gloves are for pussies. I own more lighter gloves (16-14oz) than heavier gloves (18-20oz). Like I said my son uses a pair of Reyes 10oz for the mitts. But I’m slower, lost some of my pop and the punches hurt more. I gotta get my training in however I can. I’m not one of those old dudes who trying to defy age. I don’t want to live forever. But while I’m here I want to be fit and agile and training is the selfish highlight of my day.

I am an older former amateur fighter (57) and have 44 years of experience in punching things. Bags, mitts, tires, rolled mattresses, water bags and lots and lots of people. Topboxer gloves are outstanding. Great value and exceptional quality. I am unconcerned with heavier gloves for training. I use 20oz and occasionally 18oz for very good reasons to me personally. I am unconcerned with my punches being parried. I have sparred and fought all over the US and Mexico. I have seen posts here where the the author is bemoaning heavier gloves because his shots are parried and he gets tired. First, it’s sparring, not the Olympic box-offs. Second and most importantly, I spend a lot of time engaging in training activity for the sole purpose of getting tired so I can BEGIN my boxing training. That’s when real training is just getting started. Anyone can train or spar when fresh. How about getting asked to spar after your finished training for 2-3 hours and are leaving the gym? What separates a great fighter from those like me who are at the periphery of boxing (most who train boxing and MMA) is a real pro is not afraid to get tired...very tired. Well, there are other considerations that kept me an amateur all those years, but it wasn’t a fear of fatigue. 20oz gloves are big by the very nature of their weight. I love the sensation of training my shoulders, arms and chest that comes from training with heavier gloves. I weigh 183lbs/83 kilos and bigger fighters need bigger gloves. My son, who is about 184 currently (cutting from 199 and big gym muscles) and needs to get down to 165, likes using lighter gloves on the mitts and double end. He says it improved his accuracy and made him sharper. I would agree based upon my observations of him at our boxing gym. I have 2 pairs of TopBoxer’s custom gloves in 20oz for sparring.
View attachment 843401 This pair is a custom Win1 in 20oz.
View attachment 843402 This is a pair of custom Aliens in 20oz.
View attachment 843404 This is a pair of Everlast MX in 20oz.

I spar at least once a week now that the gyms are reopened and often twice a week. I think all 20oz gloves would be considered big and pillowy if you’re accustomed to using lighter gloves. But my TopBoxer’s are no bigger or more pillowy than my Everlast gloves. Now I’m not saying that lighter gloves are for pussies. I own more lighter gloves (16-14oz) than heavier gloves (18-20oz). Like I said my son uses a pair of Reyes 10oz for the mitts. But I’m slower, lost some of my pop and the punches hurt more. I gotta get my training in however I can. I’m not one of those old dudes who trying to defy age. I don’t want to live forever. But while I’m here I want to be fit and agile and training is the selfish highlight of my day.

Good point conditioning the shoudlers with the 20's. I've never really gone beyond 16s, though admittedly should be at 18 or 20. I did post some pics of the Top Boxer 16oz vs some other 16oz and they are objectively on the bulkier side of things. Not my preference personally but agree with everything you say.

Back