Having to guess between a jab and a left hook

Freddy Fisticuffs

Pugilist
@Blue
Reaction score
So I've been sparring with this guy who has a much longer reach than me. One thing he does he whenever I move into his range somehow he can hit me with either his jab or his hook, forcing me to guess which one he will throw. Is there something I can do to beat both? Or is there a different way to deal with this?

Would it work to move forward with my right roundhouse to his body to keep his left hand occupied as I move closer?

Slip inside while throwing a cross/overhand right? If it's a jab then an overhand/corkscrew type punch would go over it and if it's a hook then I think it should reach before the hook.

I also like to throw a straight right into the body if they are moving forward with the jab/left hook.

Sometimes though they will anticipate that and then throw a right uppercut or kick down the middle but yeah idk it's worth a try to throw in sometimes. It's really annoying sparring with guys with a big reach advantage. I know, I know, use good footwork and feints to get in but shit man it's hard when the guy is good too lol.

Last edited:
So I've been sparring with this guy who has a much longer reach than me. One thing he does he whenever I move into his range somehow he can hit me with either his jab or his hook, forcing me to guess which one he will throw. Is there something I can do to beat both? Or is there a different way to deal with this?

Would it work to move forward with my right roundhouse to his body to keep his left hand occupied as I move closer?
If he's an orthodox fighter, when you see that arm twitch, disregard what he's throwing and slam your leg kick into his gut OR throw your right leg into his leg. Unless you're fighting Inspector Gadget, I imagine that your legs should be long enough. For good measure to shut down his punch, either put your glove on the side of his head to pull him INTO the body kick and then step through to the outside.

If he's Southpaw so the exact same thing but through your right leg into the body and left leg into his leg. Which stance you're in won't make a meaningful difference, once you're practised at it.

Because he's specifically a puncher you need to close the door, so bring yourself into the long guard after each combination you throw as coverage.

Here's an exercise to help you find a strong blocking position.

Put one hand on the side of your face, and cover half of it (like you're trying to be the phantom of the opera) slide your hand up until you can reach and pull the back of your head, you should feel that side of your head COMPLETELY guarded with the elbow pointing outwards. Now good luck to him, if he jabs, he'll jab your elbow, if he hooks, you'll block it.

When you feel the hook, loop your arm round and entangle his arm, and make sure that while you have his arm looped, the back of your fist is pressed against his chest. Get a strong lock with to the other hand round the back of his neck. You have now got either a tie up in boxing or kickboxing that the referee will have to break - or you have got into a clinch that you can fight from.

jorge_masvidal_vs_darren_till_full_ufc_fight-2.gif

Just one example, but Masvidal did great against Till's reach. In short, he slips and fires down the middle while stepping forward. With taller guys, offense is sort of defense. This is an over simplification of course, but the reality is that, as a shorter fighter, you need to be doing things to close the distance and taking/creating the opportunities to do so. worry less about how you're going to defend and return and more about how to use his offense as an opportunity for you to get into range.

If he's an orthodox fighter, when you see that arm twitch, disregard what he's throwing and slam your leg kick into his gut OR throw your right leg into his leg. Unless you're fighting Inspector Gadget, I imagine that your legs should be long enough. For good measure to shut down his punch, either put your glove on the side of his head to pull him INTO the body kick and then step through to the outside.

If he's Southpaw so the exact same thing but through your right leg into the body and left leg into his leg. Which stance you're in won't make a meaningful difference, once you're practised at it.

Because he's specifically a puncher you need to close the door, so bring yourself into the long guard after each combination you throw as coverage.

Put one hand on the side of your face, and cover half of it (like you're trying to be the phantom of the opera) slide your hand up until you can reach and pull the back of your head, you should feel that side of your head COMPLETELY guarded with the elbow pointing outwards. Now good luck to him, if he jabs, he'll jab your elbow, if he hooks, you'll block it.

When you feel the hook, loop your arm round and entangle his arm, and make sure that while you have his arm looped, the back of your fist is pressed against his chest. Get a strong lock with to the other hand round the back of his neck. You have now got either a tie up in boxing or kickboxing that the referee will have to break - or you have got into a clinch that you can fight from.
Good points.

Thanks for the advice guys! Im probably going to spar with him tomorrow, so i will try all this and get back with you guys.

Thanks MaBob! This all makes sense and i will try it tommorow.

jorge_masvidal_vs_darren_till_full_ufc_fight-2.gif

Just one example, but Masvidal did great against Till's reach. In short, he slips and fires down the middle while stepping forward. With taller guys, offense is sort of defense. This is an over simplification of course, but the reality is that, as a shorter fighter, you need to be doing things to close the distance and taking/creating the opportunities to do so. worry less about how you're going to defend and return and more about how to use his offense as an opportunity for you to get into range.

I really like that GIF, i will definitely try to use that!

Slip inside while throwing a cross/overhand right? If it's a jab then an overhand/corkscrew type punch would go over it and if it's a hook then I think it should reach before the hook.

I also like to throw a straight right into the body if they are moving forward with the jab/left hook.

Sometimes though they will anticipate that and then throw a right uppercut or kick down the middle but yeah idk it's worth a try to throw in sometimes. It's really annoying sparring with guys with a big reach advantage. I know, I know, use good footwork and feints to get in but shit man it's hard when the guy is good too lol.

I do love the overhand right! Ill try it

ok so, sparring went pretty well. The "phantom of the opera" block mabob mentioned worked pretty well. sadly, the over hand didn't really work as well as I wanted. The left hook came inside of it, so I got hit first. Using my right roundhouse to his legs and body worked really well. I also found that slipping to the outside while jabbing or throwing a left hook was a good way to get in. I wasn't able to pull off that move masvidal did, he just jabbed me when I slipped inside...

Still a lot of learning to do, I got punched a lot lol.

But, he drops his right hand a lot, so one time when he came in I hit him with a nice left head kick. Felt pretty cool.

ok so, sparring went pretty well. The "phantom of the opera" block mabob mentioned worked pretty well. sadly, the over hand didn't really work as well as I wanted. The left hook came inside of it, so I got hit first. Using my right roundhouse to his legs and body worked really well. I also found that slipping to the outside while jabbing or throwing a left hook was a good way to get in. I wasn't able to pull off that move masvidal did, he just jabbed me when I slipped inside...

Still a lot of learning to do, I got punched a lot lol.

But, he drops his right hand a lot, so one time when he came in I hit him with a nice left head kick. Felt pretty cool.
an important note about the Vidal clip is that he actually slips out with overhand right.

this is because at that moment the fight was till southpaw and Vidal orthodox. so by alipping to his lead hand sidw he was actually going out. he was helped till not having footwork skills on the back so he ended going syraight up and being chased down so a big left could get home.

you dont wanna slip inside against a lead hooker.. thats what they are looking for.

an important note about the Vidal clip is that he actually slips out with overhand right.

this is because at that moment the fight was till southpaw and Vidal orthodox. so by alipping to his lead hand sidw he was actually going out. he was helped till not having footwork skills on the back so he ended going syraight up and being chased down so a big left could get home.

you dont wanna slip inside against a lead hooker.. thats what they are looking for.

I didnt really pay attention to that until you pointed it out, and yeah your right slipping inside got me punched alot last time.

Common in boxing and real hard to deal with if they are good at it, especially if they have a strong jab.

You state he has a longer reach than you.
You also state when in his range is when you get caught.

That is your problem right there....being in his range.

You need to either stay out of his range...or crowd it, be inside of it.

I would suggest trying to get inside his punches and go to the body.

Guys that are bigger, taller, and longer reach, usually you can't just hit them in the face without going to the body first.

Watch some classic shorter fighters like zambidis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back