Having THE TALK with your instructor

I was thinking the SAME thing, the old "It's not you speech.."

I always preferred the old "I think we should just be friends" speech.

TS, your reason is more than legit and not disrespectful at all. Don't hold out for a stripe, tell him immediately and move on.

Yeah, I just recently switched schools for similar reasons. I liked my old school, but I like my new school, also. Just explain it after class. Alternatively, you could just leave and not say anything.

I don't think you should get the stripe, before you leave. Even if it's a small accomplishment, I wouldn't accept it, knowing I'm leaving.

Just talk with your instructor respectfully about your decision and leave.

Travis will be ok with it and will totally understand the distance thing. He'll, he's had guys switch to other schools for way retarded reasons and he still doesn't dislike them. You have to do quite a bit wrong to make him mad at you and switching schools to be able to continue to train around family/work/school stuff is the last thing he'd get mad about. Good luck to you.

Yeah I know Trav is a way cool guy. I hate that I wont be under his teaching much longer, cause I really do owe any and everything I know about jiu jitsu to him. I had alot of good training partners, and hated seeing the old bunch that was there when I started slowly fade out

There's plenty of people who switch without having a talk with their Instructors. Your reason is legitimate and he should respect the fact that you respect him enough to talk to him about it. Everything should be fine.

If it's the same guy who congratulated me at Pro Star, you got nothin' to worry about. Coming to Gracie Barra!?:D

If you've got the purple from him, then this is sort of a big deal. If you're a blue or white then not that big. LOL @ a stripe, come on. I've found that it's very difficult for certain people to not take this personally. A lot of people saying it's not a big deal, but just wait and see if that holds true. I doubt it, but there are a few exceptions sometimes.

A lot of instructors, even if it's completely legit find it as, "this student isn't doing that well and blames me for not teaching well enough and instead should be blaming himself because he doesn't work/try hard enough. So he thinks the grass is greener over the next hill when it's his own fault. Couldn't possibly be my teaching. How could it be and how could Joe X know? He's a white or blue belt.)

I think it's just in people's nature to take offense to someone leaving and be defensive about it. This is much more true in bjj because we form a lot of tight bonds from working, sweating, and rolling together. I don't think that happens as much doing katas together. In BJJ, it's much worse so than in other martial arts IMO and experience. This is why a lot of people that just don't like where they are training at will come up with a couple bs legit reason (not that the TS'ers is, not saying that at all).

Just tell him your leaving and why and just be cordial after that. Life changes for all of us and it can either work out or not. Despite what anybody says, membership to a bjj club or academy becomes a lot more than just paying a membership fee after a year or two or three. Good luck and stick to your guns and no matter what, be cool and nice.

If it's the same guy who congratulated me at Pro Star, you got nothin' to worry about. Coming to Gracie Barra!?:D

Yeah if its the same person hes very cool and laid back. I'm actually thinking about switching to McCalls. At first hearing it was in Humble kinda made me not wanna try the drive, but my friend showed me a back route and its a hella lot closer than I thought )even w a little traffic). I woulda loved to try Dracs place but I think its just as far as my current academy!

In BJJ, it is like becoming an orphan or worst: creonte.

I never thought of it like an orphan - but I think that makes sense.

Somehow in my experience, guys who switch from other clubs don't last long. It might just be a fluke of the guys I've trained with - but if they come from somewhere else, it seems likely they'll move along again in a year or so.

is ts a purple belt? I have seen some purple belts stick around after switching gyms. Personally for me its hard to imagine switching. We are in a military town, so we see a ton of blue and whites come and go, and that's no big deal.

If you are a colored belt, rather than leaving my coach, I would find a place close to home to train, and still train with my coach when I had time. I have a friend that trains at a gym near his work for extra mat time, communication with both coaches keeps any toes from being stepped on.

I had a similare deal , my instructors had "a falling out " to put it nicely and for the sake of time . I had to decide what to do ! For me it was easy and me and my team mats left with Profecer 30 or so guys and a cool girl ! All of us are colored belts 2 guys are 4 stripe white rest are blue ,purple and some high level browns .

I was due for a stripe and from what's happing there I might of got a new belt , the old acamedy turned into a belt factory ! There was hardly a colored belt left !

All this being sed I had to tell the other Profecer I was not staying and I was going with my teamates . We all did have the Talk one on one ! He triped out a little but caught himself . Now we are a family of monster ninja rockstars ! All the new or not seroiouse guys stayed. Don't take the stripe be a man and tell him respect him and your self :)

think it's just in people's nature to take offense to someone leaving and be defensive about it. This is much more true in bjj because we form a lot of tight bonds from working, sweating, and rolling together. I don't think that happens as much doing katas together. In BJJ, it's much worse so than in other martial arts IMO and experience. This is why a lot of people that just don't like where they are training at will come up with a couple bs legit reason (not that the TS'ers is, not saying that at all).

They shouldn't, nobody is expecting them to be able to teach everyone, everything all time.

BJJ creates big bonding because instructors are usually young and the athletes start relatively old, and like judo, you can't really drill without a partner, everything has to be done in pairs so it creates friendships. Other MAs may have continuous sparring like TKD, but the technical aspect doesn't needs someone else.

This will change in the future as age rifts increase and BJJ becomes more professional. Happened in all MAs. There will be a point where you will probably train as a kid under a not very competitive BB who will teach you all the basics, then you may join a school team and will have to train with the school coach, then you move to college where there will be another coach, then you may want to go professional and train under a professional coach team where he has many instructors.

Later in life when retired you may want to travel the world and train in Brazil or another state under a respected teacher, in the end you will have had so many coaches and those coaches will be used for people coming and leaving that in the end they won't create such bondings and the pride will come from the ability to take a student to the next step.

In the end the coach that wants to develop a student from white to black and beyond will be like the dad who wants to live through his child who he trained in x sport and gets mad when the kid goes to train under a professional coach and camp after he reaches higher levels.

I might have this talk with my instructor this week. I just can`t stand training at that gym anymore. There is this karate instructor that have some of the mats the same time as we train, and he constantly insults me. But last week he really crossed the line, I defended a seoi nage by a Judo brownbelt (she was a girl, it might have something to do with his reaction) anyways she managed to pull me up on her back but then she tripped and made a faceplant. I asked if she was okay and in just a little while she was up and smiling. Then this instructor tries to bitchslap me, but I see it coming and avoid it. A while later he walks up to me and does a legkick on me...Oh yeah, while me and this brown belt was sparring he was saying stuff like "is your girlfriend okay with this" and shit like that.

Once when he was going to train with us he walked up to my brother (he was my drillingpartner at the time) and literally jerks him away saying "I will drill with kosen" and when my brother protest he starts to get mad and threaten him with a beating.

My BJJ-instructor haven`t done anything about it.

Sorry for the long post and the bad english, just had to get this of my chest.

Back