Having issues with the berserker style.

gauzyhanz

White Belt
Reaction score
In Muay Thai sparring (Boxing as well) I am having issues with those guys who just like to run at you and throw punches from beginning to end. With these same types I often get the better of when they are trying to pick their shots. But, when they decide to do what they do best and swing for the fences like an unskilled mainiac they end up gettin the better of me or I then have to start punching wildly.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

Last edited:
In Muay Thai sparring (Boxing as well) I am having issues with those guys who just like to run at you and throw punches from beginning to end. With these same types I often get the better of when they are trying to pick their shots. But, when they decide to do what they do best and swing for the fences like an unskilled mainiac they end up gettin the better of me or I then have to start punching wildly.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

For guys that usually come straight forward in berserk mode, I like to sidestep quite far to my right and hit them with as powerful a left kick to the midsection as I can when they step in. This forces their hands down to protect themselves and they can't flail as wildly or windmill. I also like to take a small step back, then out to the right, then come back in with a straight right down the middle to the face if they are throwing wide punches. I use these techniques ad nauseum and it makes them look stupid and amateurish to the judges. They either have to stop berserking in and start looking like they know what they are doing, or face looking like they can't even stop the same two obvious and simple moves.

Sometimes when they piss me off, I throw a knee straight down the middle as they walk forward, and it if it goes low, it goes low. Their fault.:D

Learn how to fight backwards, I was a victim to this too until I started boxing backwards

with your body weight 60/40 on back foot, pivot/push off it and pivot on your lead foot. with some practice you can also counter with a left hook as he comes in. You also can take a small step/slide to your left to help avoid overhand/hook.

Teeps, straight punches, footwork, clinch & knees are all your friends!

Had the same problem back in the day. Shooting a strike straight down the pipe as they come in works just about always. Pivoting is also great for this (I use the lead check hook with much success here). The main problem that newbies have with brawlers is having to think on the fly and be quick on their feet, because the berserker/brawler is always swinging at them and coming forward. Once you get adjusted to fighting at a faster pace, you'll be able to see all of the blatant opening that come with that style.

Wow, you guys in this thread really are quick to respond. I appreciate it and sense your the passion for the sport.

All of the advice I feel is sound.

(Note: I do not know how to quote multiple comments so I won't use quotes this time although I want to.)

Thanks Buddy Revell for the video. A couple of feeler jabs with a check hook, sounds good. I'm gonna have to practice getting power in my lead check hook as I can't generate sufficient power with it yet. A few of you guys mention the check hook I guess it's a great move.

I think I'm goin to drill fighting backwards as well, great advice.

And, as far as the straight right counter. That is my counter all day in boxing. It's propably the first counter I learned and I love it. Sometimes I wait too long for my opponent to throw his right cross so I can counter with my own. But, I am at the point in Muay Thai that I am evolving out of strictly punching and I am kicking with athority while sparring. For me being in a stance that is good for kicking makes it harder for me to do the right cross counter. In boxing I am more leaned foward and it is easier to execute the counter.

Fighting at a faster pace is something I need to practice as well.

What I'm gonna practice:
  • Check hook
  • Fighting backwards
  • Fighting faster

Dont worry about power on the check hook, its just a tool to get you out of there and distract ur opponent

Not to thread jack, but I was going to create a similar thread this morning since I had my first sparring session yesterday and was overwhelmed by a similar style. I've been doing kickboxing for about 2 months now, and recently got some headgear to do some light sparring (mostly with my coach). I was sparring with someone last night and felt that when we were out of range, and picking our punches, I was able to defend and adapt to his movement. As soon as he started throwing combinations at me, I stopped circling/side-stepping and started moving back in a straight line. I was simply overwhelmed by the combinations as I was barely able to see what he was throwing and how to react, let alone try to counter.

Any tips for someone who is just starting to do some light sparring? Should I just focus on defense and footwork, and forget about countering and my own offense for a while? Are there any drills you can recommend to improve footwork and defensive kickboxing/boxing?

Thanks

Back