Having a hard time getting my Blue belt

Uncompaghre

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I dont know what to say or if any of you guys will beleive me but I should already have a blue belt,I have been training BJJ for 4 years and have not been able to afford to stay at a BJJ school for a long length of time.I live in rural colorado and the nearest BJJ school is an hour away,the amount of snow here makes it dangerous to travel.

Anyway all the nearest schools charge out the ass like over 100 bucks a month and 75 a month for a 2 year contract.I was hoping to get my blue at the last place I was at but they didint seem to like the fact that I didint like to compete in tournaments,anyway I was tapping out a bunch of their blues and holding my own with their purples for like 3 months.

It was real funny when I tapped out their blues,they got all pissed and aggresive.This is really getting silly,I'm like a BJJ gypsy

You could always do the combatives program and get one via the internet -- but I wouldn't recommend that. Don't worry about the color of your belt -- it means nothing. Just train!

Wow, they even have BJJ in rural Colorado now? It's amazing how fast the art is spreading.

Just buy one on the internet. They're real easy to find.

Well I dont know what to say or if any of you guys will beleive me but I should already have a blue belt,I have been training BJJ for 4 years and have not been able to afford to stay at a BJJ school for a long length of time.I live in rural colorado and the nearest BJJ school is an hour away,the amount of snow here makes it dangerous to travel.

Anyway all the nearest schools charge out the ass like over 100 bucks a month and 75 a month for a 2 year contract.I was hoping to get my blue at the last place I was at but they didint seem to like the fact that I didint like to compete in tournaments,anyway I was tapping out a bunch of their blues and holding my own with their purples for like 3 months.

It was real funny when I tapped out their blues,they got all pissed and aggresive.This is really getting silly,I'm like a BJJ gypsy

You're in the wrong sub forum, you need to post this in the Heavyweights. You will get the best responses and advice there. People hardly come into the Grappling subforum, so really no point for you to keep posting in here. Heavyweights is where the real experts are.

Belts only matter if you want to open your own school one day or you are a competitor.

If you do not fit in the above, just train and enjoy yourself.

Hell yes, a white belt that is tapping blue belt and hanging with purples belts.

that must be awesome.

Is all this Royce Gracie flack because of that one thread in here about the stripe given? Or is Royce notorious for promoting people?

Is all this Royce Gracie flack because of that one thread in here about the stripe given? Or is Royce notorious for promoting people?

Both, he has a reputation for giving out promotions to people who are not his own students at seminars, and that recent thread is an example of it.

what a bunch of douche bags on here tonight....

the six months i've been following f12 i've come under the assumption that white belts should:
-accept the fact no one will bother to learn their name until they are promoted to blue
-shouldn't critique a higher belt, they should stfu and watch or get on the mat and roll themselves
-should never call out a higher belt to grapple
-have no clue wtf they are talking about

but then you read on here from some of the same people he should stop crying and just accept the fact he will probably never get what he has coming to him. i can't believe some of you, instead of offering some constructive advice, tell him to just go out and buy his own and walk into a new gym wearing one.... man i flash back to the four stripe gate keeper thread...

TS i can't think of a better feeling in BJJ than standing on the podium accepting a reward for all your blood sweat and tears shed in training or having your instructor who you've come to respect and marvel acknowledge your skill and show enough faith in your game to promote you to the next level.

but honestly i believe unless your willing to compete and get your name out there (i'm sure if you place enough instructors in your area will start recognizing you) or just suck up the cost and become a regular you're never going to get promoted. i don't blame an instructor for holding back.... after all i actually like the fact most belts aren't just handed out.

i also sympathize with you.. i have previous grappling experience and even though my instructor recognizes the fact i'm good for my level he is still making me put in my time with the gi just like everyone else. i wouldn't have it any other way really. i want my instructor to give me my blue because HE thinks i deserve it not because I THINK i deserve it. hell i think because i'm 28 and wasn't offered the opportunity to start BJJ at a younger age i deserve at least a purple if not brown.... I guess the next gym i go to since i think i deserve it i should go online and order a nice new purple belt and stroll into a new gym wearing it..

@dazed863

chill, we r just talkin about a blue belt, all it means is advanced BEGINNER.

Though i do agree there are douchebags here on f12, i wont name any names, oh and also...

HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT TEAM GARCIA IN THAT TONE!!

i can't believe some of you, instead of offering some constructive advice, tell him to just go out and buy his own and walk into a new gym wearing one.... man i flash back to the four stripe gate keeper thread...

That part was obviously a joke.

The OP lives in rural Colorado. I think he should consider himself lucky he has a place where he can do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at all. It's only been a few years that BJJ has even existed outside of like, California, NYC, Atlanta and Miami.

The only possible serious advice to give this dude is to stop changing gyms so often and if economically possible, move to a place where he can train under a black belt who can promote him. But he didn't even ask a question, he just came here to complain and brag about how he taps out blue belts.

@dazed863

chill, we r just talkin about a blue belt, all it means is advanced BEGINNER.

Though i do agree there are douchebags here on f12, i wont name any names, oh and also...

HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT TEAM GARCIA IN THAT TONE!!

haha sorry i'm not knocking team garcia... just how passionate people got about some of the things he was saying.

but yeah man i agree blue is an advanced beginner and not that big of a deal.....

but if instructors in his area won't give him a blue he might as well just accept the fact he will never ever see purple.

you can also say rank doesn't matter but hell one guy on here wore his purple belt to his wedding.... tell that he shouldn't be proud.

or the brown or black belt that breaks down in tears.... tell him your belt only covers two inches of his ass.

@dazed

Perhaps this is why the TS is getting sarcastic responses. This is what I read:

I'm awesome at bjj and tap out tons of dudes. But I won't train with an instructor very much, and when I do they don't respect that I'm better than their students. I don't want to pay the completely reasonable prices they charge, and I won't compete. Why won't somebody that I have no interest in, nor do they have any reason to have an interest in me, give me rank that says I represent them?

Does he really need other people to answer?

Back