have you ever

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
Have you ever rolled against someone who has an unpassible guard? You cant pass my instructures guard for anything. He has no nerves in his thighs, no one at my club can pass his guard. He's real good at pulling you off balance with his legs. Im not saying hes unstopible but man hes close.

I have rolled with several blackbelts who's guard I could not pass. usually they excelent open guard/hip movement and know how to defend passes..

Heck there are some white belts that have the closed guard of death ..almost impossible to even open.

I suck at guard passing so almost everyone's guard seems unpassable to me.

it happened to me this year at the mundials :icon_cry2:icon_twis

I'm still in that early stage where closed guard is impossible to deal with. I try to stand up, I either get pulled back down or swept. I try elbows on thighs, I get pulled forward. I try to spread my base, get swept. I guess it'll get easier as I practice :)

Elbows in the thighs is NOT a valid way to open the legs. If that's a common technique for you, I'm not surprised that you can't pass guard. I mean, I'm 5'4" with short legs and a long torso and I can't remember the last time somebody successfully opened my closed guard with the ol' grinding technique.

use accordingly: achillies hook (my fav), toe hold, ankle lock

My instructor seriously tools me each time we roll. Even when Im in the process of passing his guard he chokes me out before I can complete the pass,

Nerves in his legs have nothing to do with whether or not you can pass his guard. As Masada said, if you're trying to open his guard through pain, you're doing it wrong.

I'd much rather try to pass an open guard than a freakishly strong closed guard

Nerves in his legs have nothing to do with whether or not you can pass his guard. As Masada said, if you're trying to open his guard through pain, you're doing it wrong.

True... Mind over matter.

I'm no wiz on the floor, but I never give into that stuff. I can take the pain.

why should nerves in his legs matter in the first place?

There are many guys that have guards that are incredibly difficult to pass, particularly if you are at a low belt level and he's at a high level.

I have rolled with several blackbelts who's guard I could not pass. usually they excelent open guard/hip movement and know how to defend passes..

Heck there are some white belts that have the closed guard of death ..almost impossible to even open.

heh, I'm one of those guys, kinda. If they're small enough, I'm lanky enough to lock in a body triangle from guard. Of course, I can only really use it for stalling.. I'm not bragging though, because my open guard is pretty pathetic.

I can never pass anyone's guard if they have trained significantly longer than me. thats why I usually pull guard and go from my back, even against new guys. I have a much better bottom game than top game by far.

I can never pass anyone's guard if they have trained significantly longer than me. thats why I usually pull guard and go from my back, even against new guys. I have a much better bottom game than top game by far.

You should be working on your weak areas against the new guys, after all it is practice.

Back