Have you ever predicted an upset in MMA?

I think all of us have picked plenty of underdogs over the years.

Two underdogs that I was 100% confident in were Werdum over Cain and RDA over Pettis. I still can't explain why, but I thought both fights were foregone conclusions.

Before Holly Holm made her UFC debut I thought she would beat Ronda. I was also confident that Nate Diaz would beat McGregor the first time and lose the 2nd time. Biggest upset I predicted odds wise, is probably TJ vs Barao, even though it made no sense he was such an underdog, Barao already got exposed in his previous fight.

Oh and Luke Rockhold was a favorite against Vitor Belfort, in my “ignorance” I felt like Luke was to green at the time to beat Vitor

@DuncanFan819 yeah I felt the same way about RDA vs Pettis. RDA had become so well rounded and was ridiculously fast at the time and could set a high pace. Surely RDA wasn’t a big underdog?

Holly over Ronda
RDA over Pettis
Cody over Cruz
Woodley over Lawler
Diaz over McGregor
Ponzi over Gunnar
Stipe over Ngannou (changed my pick leading up to the fight)
Rose over JJ
Teymur over Vannata
Klose over Vannata
Roundtree over Saki
Cejudo over MM
Woodley over Till (since the lines shifted)

Last edited:
I thought Holly would beat Ronda. Never been so right and felt so good.
I couldn't agree more. Probably the most ecstatsy I've every experienced watchign someone get knocked out. I even told the Hooter's girl that Holly was going to win. I think she was impressed.

I was the first to post on Sherdog that Royce Gracie would win the Ultimate Fighting Championship. I predicted Holly head kicking Ronda for the finish. Also, not exactly a fight but MMA related, I predicted Jon Jones would run back for his weed and not check on the pregnant lady.

I picked Tyron and Jim Miller to win yesterday, they both closed as the underdog.

Or do you mean something like...
246931-8472560.png

I had a double on Diaz sub in Round 2 and Holly on points :(

I have once.

Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz in 2007.

I don’t know how many of you people were on this forum from 2005-2007, but about 90% of the people here kissed Pride’s ass.

Most people here were like “OMG, Pride Rules!! UFC sucks!!!” And a lot of people were predicting Gomi over Diaz.

I had seen Nick compete against Sean Sherk in 2006, and Nick held his own. The fight was pretty much a draw. Diaz stuffed a lot of Sherk’s takedowns.

Sean Sherk then went on to annihilate Kenny Florian in October 2006 to win the UFC LW championship.

I had also seen Diaz eat bombs from Robbie Lawler and Joe Riggs, and not get wobbled and keep going. So I thought since he took shots from those two, hung with Sherk, he’d do jussst fine against Gomi. Hell, I picked Diaz over Gomi on MMAplayground.com

Wasn’t surprised the day after the fight when I saw on Sherdog that Diaz gogoplata’d Gomi.

Well, that’s the biggest upset I’ve predicted. How about you?
I had jim Miller winning Alex white, Bryan barberina winning sage (not a upset in my opinion, but for others because no one knew Bryan was and sage had all these hype on him)

Zabit vs ???

Derrick Lewis Vs Francis Ngannou, Francis looked shook at the weigh in stare down.

On tapology(different username Phisei, also an old sherdog account) I have Hall KO Mousasi in the second round for the first fight. I honestly don’t even remember why I made that prediction

I have once.

Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz in 2007.

I don’t know how many of you people were on this forum from 2005-2007, but about 90% of the people here kissed Pride’s ass.

Most people here were like “OMG, Pride Rules!! UFC sucks!!!” And a lot of people were predicting Gomi over Diaz.

I had seen Nick compete against Sean Sherk in 2006, and Nick held his own. The fight was pretty much a draw. Diaz stuffed a lot of Sherk’s takedowns.

Sean Sherk then went on to annihilate Kenny Florian in October 2006 to win the UFC LW championship.

I had also seen Diaz eat bombs from Robbie Lawler and Joe Riggs, and not get wobbled and keep going. So I thought since he took shots from those two, hung with Sherk, he’d do jussst fine against Gomi. Hell, I picked Diaz over Gomi on MMAplayground.com

Wasn’t surprised the day after the fight when I saw on Sherdog that Diaz gogoplata’d Gomi.

Well, that’s the biggest upset I’ve predicted. How about you?

speaing of diaz vs rory was a no brianer pick for rory.

Threw money on Holly and Weidman, completely forgot about the Weidman bet until a year later which was a nice surprise.

prediciting upsets is very easy in mma, because you got 2 fighters, and everything can happen, when both fighters enter cage is 50/50

fedor vs werdum.

i hated myself for getting it right, but i did. i still remember how crappy that felt.

Back