Have you ever predicted an upset in MMA?

I sure as hell didn't predict MM-Cejudo 2. Holm-Rousey was an interesting match-up stylistically but Holm had been a little underwhelming up to that point so I would've still gone with Ronda. Very glad to have been wrong.

I'd argue Cejudo vs Johnson was up there
I wouldn't. Johnson smashed him the first time in what like 3 minutes or something. DJ was the favorite going into it and arguably did enough to retain the title. If he was more popular people would be up in arms about that decision but because it's DJ no one gives a fuck lol.

Cody/Cruz
Joanna/Rose 1 & 2
Conor/Diaz 2 (OK, McGregor was technically the favorite but he wasn't much of one, and it sure seemed like most people thought he'd lose the rematch to Nate)
Woodley/Till
Gaethje/Vick

Don't remember any others where the I picked the underdog to win (mostly 'cause I don't recall the betting odds of most fights I've ever predicted.)

giphy.gif

I have once.

Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz in 2007.

I don’t know how many of you people were on this forum from 2005-2007, but about 90% of the people here kissed Pride’s ass.

Most people here were like “OMG, Pride Rules!! UFC sucks!!!” And a lot of people were predicting Gomi over Diaz.

I had seen Nick compete against Sean Sherk in 2006, and Nick held his own. The fight was pretty much a draw. Diaz stuffed a lot of Sherk’s takedowns.

Sean Sherk then went on to annihilate Kenny Florian in October 2006 to win the UFC LW championship.

I had also seen Diaz eat bombs from Robbie Lawler and Joe Riggs, and not get wobbled and keep going. So I thought since he took shots from those two, hung with Sherk, he’d do jussst fine against Gomi. Hell, I picked Diaz over Gomi on MMAplayground.com

Wasn’t surprised the day after the fight when I saw on Sherdog that Diaz gogoplata’d Gomi.

Well, that’s the biggest upset I’ve predicted. How about you?

I've picked a few others in leagues but the below are the ones I put $ on:

Picked Nate by submission in the first fight vs Conor, I bet $ on submission only and then separately submission in 3rd or 4th round, I didn't put second unfortunately.
I'm a Cruz fan but picked Garbrandt over him (only for win)
Daniel Kelly over Rashad
Had Mayweather in Round 8 vs Conor (unfortunately got the round wrong)
Woodley by Sub in 3rd Round unfortunately against Till
Ortega over Edgar
Rose over JJ in first fight (though I put a $ on a submission in round 2)
Cormier over Stipe
Cejudo over DJ

Have obviously lost money on a few fights too :)

Last edited:
Picked Shogun to beat Machida both times, fucking Cecil Peoples fucked up the first fight.
Also had Weidman over Silva both times, though I have to admit neither fight ended anything like the way I expected.

Lots of times.
bisping vs silva
werdum vs fedor
and jones vs Rua all come to mind right away

But there have been just as many I have been wrong about like
Ronda vs holly and chuck vs rashad and so on as well

Its a pick em sport and a lot of times you end up looking like a genius or a fool depending on where the chips fall

Most recently Cormier over Stipe and I made a handsome payday off of it.

Every fight Ronda had in the ufc and I still ended up making money after being wrong so much

Can't think of many. I did pick TWood to beat Lawler, but don't remember if he was an underdog or anything. I did root for Holm against Rousey, but I don't remember if I actually predicted her to win or just hoped that she would. On the other hand, I was rooting for Cain against Werdum, but I was pretty sure that he would lose.

Yup.

I predicted if Wandrade KTFO Karolina her fans will be very upset. And now I'm predicting if either Khabib or Conor gets destroyed, their fans will be very upset and I'll be there to rub it in their faces.
Let's not shitpost honorable account granted OG

I predicted Frankie Edgar over BJ Penn. and the fight happened and I wasn’t sure Frankie deserved it, but I felt cool since I posted all over the forum that Frankie was going to win

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back