Have you ever, or would you ever, call someone you've never met...

Given that people have varying degrees of understanding when it comes to expectation vs entitlement, I would say the best we can drill down to is a relationship principle rather than a specific hallmark of internet fantasy.

When we think about what we expect out of relationships (time/attention) vs what we actually get, we can just as easily delude ourselves with an actual relationship just as easily as a fakey online one. We never know if our girlfriends are lying to our faces and that they've been carrying on a secret life, just not on the internet.

I think people operate under the assumption they are entitled to certain things when entering a social contract, whereas other people are willing to move their goalposts when it comes to what they want. They may call it the same thing but their concessions change the landscape drastically. Attention is attention and time is time. There is no denying the more you spend with someone, real or fake, all those experiences will comprise this thing we call life. Inescapable.

it kind of reminds me of back when i was in middle school and i had a "gf" a couple of times. it didn't really consist of anything other than seeing them at school or talking to them on the phone occasionally. i went over to one of the girl's houses a few times, but all in all it lasted about 1 month. :redface:

I got Catfished by a girl I talked to online for a few years. Actually just found it out a month or so ago. Never called her my girlfriend but I actually had feelings for her. She sent me pictures of a girl that was a 6/10 so I didn't really question it because I figured she'd send pictures of an 8+ girl if she was going to lie. Ended up doing some detective work and finally finding a picture of her that her work posted. Lets just say she was not a 6/10.

i've heard of that happening before. it's so strange. i can't remember who told me about it. definitely someone i knew in high school if i'm remembering correctly. it's so weird that people do that. let me guess...she was extremely overweight?

No.

But I would say I was a victim of a hoax when people caught me in a massive lie.

how do you think it's going to affect your draft stock?

Meeting your girlfriend in person is gay and is responsible for at least 75% of unwanted pregnancies.

No way, this whole thing just absolutely blows my mind. It's one thing to meet someone online and communicate but to get so wrapped up in it like Te'o supposedly did is just beyond bizarre and is fucking creepy. He's either the dumbest or must gullible person on the planet, either way this is a no win scenario for him.

Your girlfriend?

I'm not here to judge. This is more of an exploration of what the internet has meant to relationships, and a possible generational gap between those of us that were doing the girlfriend thing before the internet and those that are doing it now.

i would not but my friend did and he ended up having the chick move out to his state and marrying him and they have been together for 3 years now and are expecting
so i guess it works for some poeple
also dude was not a forever alone who relied on the internet to hook up

Back