Have you ever had a workout so strenuous that you wanted to throw up?

Now.... New question

Is it a bad thing to feel as if you are going to throw up during or post workout?
Is it something to be avoided? I know no one wants to throw up, but getting to that point means you are pushing your limits tremendously. And to progress you have to push your limits.

agains, sounds dumb but I needed to ask.

pukie.jpg

Sometimes when I crossfit.

I like it.

Here's a tough one, called "The Manbreaker":
10xdeadlift, 10 manmakers, 50 pull-ups, 50 knees-to-elbows, 10 OH lunges +
10xdeadlift, 10 manmakers, 30 pull-ups, 30 knees-to-elbows, 10 OH lunges +
10xdeadlift, 10 manmakers, 10 pull-ups, 10 knees-to-elbows, 10 OH lunges,
for time.

It happened while doing hill runs when I used to play basketball. There have also been a couple of close calls after doing a mile run. But lifting? Not even close...

I puked after my first ever Boxing class at Undisputed! and after crossfit workouts oh and lets not forget The Pit Workout on dvd that also made me puke..but then again i usually over do it and go WAY past my limits which is why i end up with my face in the toilet!lol...hey if you feel like puking put your head under a faucet running with cool water it works great for me!!!

never

watch it happen to me when i do my press work tomorrow

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GVyfrmEJeAo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GVyfrmEJeAo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Hahaha!

It's great to see their expressions go from smiles, to pale and worried, to dry heaving.

Now.... New question

Is it a bad thing to feel as if you are going to throw up during or post workout?
Is it something to be avoided? I know no one wants to throw up, but getting to that point means you are pushing your limits tremendously. And to progress you have to push your limits.

agains, sounds dumb but I needed to ask.

A couple of things. First off, as pussy-ish as it might sound, if after every single workout you are throwing up, you are pushing yourself too hard to make long term progress because you are going to burn out very quick. That, or you are severely deconditioned or doing something very bad in terms of peri-workout nutrition.

Every once in awhile you have to challenge yourself though, and push through the pain and take yourself past what limits you thought you had and puking might be the outcome. How often you do that is decided by your current goals and where you are in a training cycle.

When I'm unfit my body gives out before I can get to feeling sick

When I am in condition when I push myself hard I end up with dry heaving.

Last time I did a long hard group in a group, about 20 min after I finished I vomited for about 10 minutes on and off. I hadn't had breakfast so it was all coffee.
It felt soo good coming up though

I guess my body just doesn't react this way. I've never thrown up because of a work-out. Passed out, sure, but never thrown up. Of course, I've also never thrown up from drinking.

I don't think it's because I'm not working hard enough. My athletic experience includes football two-a-days during the Texas summer under one of the meanest head coaches in the state. I've also done 5 mile runs for time with the temperature over 105.

The funny thing is my son pukes at the drop of a hat. I think he's thrown up more in his first nine years than I have in my almost-30.

When I used to run cross country and track I frequently ended up dry heaving when I was pushing hard towards the end of the race, many workouts where I felt like I was going to puke.

Funny, I asked this question in the Monthly challenge thread the day before this this thread showed up.

I nearly heaved bad in the gym doing the magic 60.

i had little throwups (just burp and taste it) when working out semi frequently. but nothing as bad as Saturday between rounds 5 and 6

Hell yeah, I've worke out until I've puked everywhere. I was supersetting leg press with dumbbell curls doing 10 sets of 20 reps on both exercises. Then I followed it up with burn out sets doing smith machine rows.

Man, I was feeling the burn

I've been close a few times but thankfully I never blown chunks.

never experienced it during lifting, but i have during cardio work or training for a martial arts match

I puked after my first ever Boxing class at Undisputed! and after crossfit workouts oh and lets not forget The Pit Workout on dvd that also made me puke..but then again i usually over do it and go WAY past my limits which is why i end up with my face in the toilet!lol...hey if you feel like puking put your head under a faucet running with cool water it works great for me!!!

Must've been a crazy class. The boxing at Undisputed! never looked overly strenuous to me.

I have a habit of puking after serious cardio work, but more from Aerobic exercise than anything else.

For example, if I push myself in a mile run I will end up puking.

If I push myself in a 4-6 minute session of Tabata's I am exhausted but never puke

I usually get close to puking when i start lifting again after an injury or illness...

Other than that... no, not really. I often lay on the ground after squats and deadlifts though.

Back