Have you ever gotten stuck with "that" guy?

I was the same way when I started... for a single night. I tapped all night to nothing, then someone KOB'd me, I tapped, he got off and said "Look, you are going to be uncomfortable in some positions, that's why you have to learn to escape them. Just deal with the discomfort and try and find a way out."

Just sit him down and make him realize that either he needs to deal with it or quit.

Its been 2 weeks. A drop in the ocean of BJJ training. Just start working with some other guys. You can't always train wit the same person.

Don't worry about it. It sounds like either he will quit or be kicked out.

In he mean time, jus fnd a diffrent training partner.

As a "that guy" myself, I often end up with the new "that guys" for drilling or rolling. I try my best to be patient and helpful, like the others have been patient with me when I just started.

Damn dude, I've never met "that" guy. Thank God. That would suck being stuck with a dude like that, especially since you probably feel weird about making any kind of ripples in the gym as a new guy. I think the forum has good suggestions thus far, bro.

Good luck!

Slightly off-topic, but TS: where do you train?

On-topic, we have a "that guy" at our gym. God bless him because I know he's actually mentally challenged (which makes being paired with him FUN) but he just can't grasp concepts easily. One major concept he is missing is the tapping point though. We were drilling the 3-step armbar from guard and he refused to tap during the final rep (we drill for the tap on the last rep only) despite the armbar being on and tight.

It's just frustrating to train with people who just don't get ideas as easily or as quickly as you, but it's a fact of life. Just find someone else or talk to him about it.

Also, don't forget: 2 weeks? You're such an infant in the world of BJJ that your head is just crowning.

this thread is just plain weird to me . . . i've never met anyone in gym that has those types of issues. i think everyone basically knows what they're getting themselves into.

I used to be paired up wth "that guy" all the time.

I told him to quit because he kept on fucking up and everyone was laughing at him behind his back. I also used to punch him in the armpit real hard when rolling.

he did = problem solved.

Do it - you will only feel bad for about 2 or 3 minutes.

Luckily I'm 'stuck' with guys better than me in my kickboxing training and grappling training which means that I get the best out of my training and the great thing is even when they aren't there(which is rare) I formed bonds with nice guys who turn up later than most so I always have a second choice.

some new people find they are uncomfortable with the "smothering" and pressure that makes even slight things like pinched skin send them into a panic it can almost be like claustrophobia. Some get over it and some don't, I normally see it with women which makes sense.

Why you are paired up with Mr. 2 weeks like yourself is the perplexing thing like others have said. It also seems like you are paired up with this guy quite often during your two week training. Both things are strange for an instructor to allow to happen.

Branch out, both of you should be training with more experienced people. If you are paired with a person like this and can't do anything about it, make the most of it. We had a girl in our school that when she started would freak out if someone got mount on her. The couple times I trained with her I just avoided going to mount or any dominant position I just worked defense and escapes. take the lemons and make lemonade my friend.

Grab a new partner. You are new, so start (or continue) making friends in your class. Let some of the higher belts know what is going on with this guy and ask them if you can drill with them next class.

Most guys take a lot of pride when someone asks them for help.

Next time you drill with the other new guy tell him what you think. If he's being a baby tell him he's being a baby and if he doesn't let you drill techniques you don't want to partner up with him anymore.

Before going to the instructor about it I would approach some of the higher belts and see what they think of the guy.

Sound advice. Thank you, sir. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The only reason I have continued drilling with him is because when we're told to pair up, he's on me like stink on shit.
When you really think about it - why wouldn't you want to work with somebody who's good? On the other hand, it's unfair to simply ignore the ones who are not so good,

I make a point when I run classes (not BJJ, mind you) to get people to switch partners for exactly this reason. That, and it's important to get the feel/energy of different types of people.

Back