Have you ever gotten stuck with "that" guy?

Ballzilla

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been training BJJ for about 2 weeks now which makes me a seasoned veteran in the eyes of the folks that started last night apparently.:rolleyes: I started on the same night as 6 other people. 2 of us are left. The other of us is a very nice guy who seems to have latched onto me. I don't mind. I just need an able body to be able to drill what I'm being taught. The problem is he's not an able body. I don't think he's ever played a sport or done anything remotely athletic in his life. After 2 weeks, he still doesn't understand the mechanics of shrimping. My problem is that he taps the moment he is in ANY type of discomfort which hinders me from completing my drills and focusing on my mechanics. My instructor has said something about it to him. Nothing mean or offensive just "That's BJJ, buddy. It's a fighting style. It's not supposed to be comfortable all of the time." The guy nods and goes about his merry way. Any way last night we were working on 3 dfferent subs from bottom half guard. He tapped and said "OK STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!" all......fucking........night. The kicker? I never even got to the submission. I finally asked him what his deal was and he simply told me that his skin kept getting pinched. My instructor rolled his eyes. Tonight I am actually going to refuse to drill with him as last nights training session was completely wasted because I got stuck with him. Is this a dick move on my part? Any one ever get stuck with "that" guy?

I don't think you need to make an issue out of it... just grab a different partner to drill with. He's either going to figure it out or he's going to quit. I'd say that someone should sit him down and tell him that he needs to prepare for the fact that he's going to be sore constantly and that tapping before the submission is locked in is robbing his training partners of a good training experience but if you've only been there for two weeks, you might not be the right guy to have that conversation with him.

Either way, don't worry too much. You're going to have a lot of frustrations like this throughout your training, try not to let it bother you too much. Good luck and welcome to the club, man.. Hope you stick with it.

Sound advice. Thank you, sir. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The only reason I have continued drilling with him is because when we're told to pair up, he's on me like stink on shit.

I know for a fact that some people from my club try to pair up with certain guys, because they are good training partners. When you really think about it - why wouldn't you want to work with somebody who's good? On the other hand, it's unfair to simply ignore the ones who are not so good, but I think somebody should let them know about their shortcomings one way or another. And it's better to let them know sooner rather than later.

Sound advice. Thank you, sir. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The only reason I have continued drilling with him is because when we're told to pair up, he's on me like stink on shit.

Before class starts ask someone else if they'd mind pairing up with you. Then when drilling starts if the other dude approaches you just say "Oh, I already told so and so I'd work with him, sorry."

Or, just tell him you want to work with a different partner to get a different feel for what you're doing.

I think it's the instructor's job to have the class switch partners and such so you don't get stuck with the same person constantly. Of course you're always going to have guys that want to work together because they have a similar work ethic or are friends or something like that. A good instructor, imo, will mix things up a lot so you don't have the same "groups" working together all the time.

As a purple belt, it is my role to pair up with the new guys.

We do not pair new guys together.
It is always a blue or purple with a new guys.

We try to avoid getting two white betls together.

well at least stripeless white belts together.

Hey guys, I've been doing BJJ for about two weeks now and here's my problem....I have very sensitive skin. The guy I met at the gym who is like my BFF now really puts the submissions on tight! It really hurts to the point I have to yell "OK STOP STOP STOP".

So, how do I tell him that he shouldn't train so rough? I mean, I think this dude is really cool and don't want to lose him as a friend? Suggestions?

Sorry......couldn't resist!

we don't pair new guys together...... 2 people teaching eachother poor techinque isn't the way to do it. But I think you should simply pair up with somebody before class so when it comes time to pair up you already have a partner and an excuse. Just don't be a dick, your new also.

QFT. New guys drilling and rolling together is a step towards crappling, even in a legit gym.

that sucks to hear.

there are a couple of those people over where i'm at, too, but just not as extreme. i prefer not to drill or roll with them whenever possible because they're busier complaining about discomfort than drilling which makes both of you lose mat time.

Yes, during a free BJJ seminar to grab new people for our gym. I was paired up with this 8th grader (i'm 16) and every so often he'd start whining about how I was roughing him up too much, like for an example when I'd have to get out of a front headlock by grinding my wrists in his neck and pulling backwards, he'd start complaining that I was doing it to hard..

Then during down time he'd keep trying to do the rear naked choke on me, and after like the 4-5th attempt, I let him sink the first arm in, then I just hip tossed him to arm-triangle, my instructor got a kick out of that.

honestly i hate pussies in training

when I pay money for membership at a BJJ club I want to roll with the best, strongest, most jacked guys there. I don't pay money to play pattycake with someone I could break in half

Rarely will we have two new guys drilling together unless the instructor splits the class.

I agree, that this is the best way. I feel that the new guys learn so much more.

Hey guys, I've been doing BJJ for about two weeks now and here's my problem....I have very sensitive skin. The guy I met at the gym who is like my BFF now really puts the submissions on tight! It really hurts to the point I have to yell "OK STOP STOP STOP".

So, how do I tell him that he shouldn't train so rough? I mean, I think this dude is really cool and don't want to lose him as a friend? Suggestions?
:D

ot:

Both similarly annoying, guys that tap from crossfaces and tap before you can even properly start a submission. And guys that spazz out all the time.

I've been training BJJ for about 2 weeks now which makes me a seasoned veteran in the eyes of the folks that started last night apparently.:rolleyes: I started on the same night as 6 other people. 2 of us are left. The other of us is a very nice guy who seems to have latched onto me. I don't mind. I just need an able body to be able to drill what I'm being taught. The problem is he's not an able body. I don't think he's ever played a sport or done anything remotely athletic in his life. After 2 weeks, he still doesn't understand the mechanics of shrimping. My problem is that he taps the moment he is in ANY type of discomfort which hinders me from completing my drills and focusing on my mechanics. My instructor has said something about it to him. Nothing mean or offensive just "That's BJJ, buddy. It's a fighting style. It's not supposed to be comfortable all of the time." The guy nods and goes about his merry way. Any way last night we were working on 3 dfferent subs from bottom half guard. He tapped and said "OK STOP STOP STOP STOP!!!" all......fucking........night. The kicker? I never even got to the submission. I finally asked him what his deal was and he simply told me that his skin kept getting pinched. My instructor rolled his eyes. Tonight I am actually going to refuse to drill with him as last nights training session was completely wasted because I got stuck with him. Is this a dick move on my part? Any one ever get stuck with "that" guy?

Happens. Recommend that he get a tight-fitting rashguard. Problem solved. If he continues to be a problem, talk to him about it, in a friendly way.

Yeah, I don't think I've ever encountered this type of person before. Sorry to hear about your troubles. I would just talk to him...ask him to ask himself if this sport is right for him and so on. He's not always going to have training partners as 'nice' as you are...you might be doing him a favor by being brutally honest.

Sorry......couldn't resist!
Well played.

Avoid the sensitive skin guy like the plague!!! You are spending your time and hard earned money to train. Neither should be wasted drilling or rolling with that guy. Do you know the saying, "You're only as good as the people you surround yourself with"? The same is true in any sport, you only have the potential to get as good as the people you train with and under. Dump the wimp, and drill and roll with someone else. The only down side, if he has sensitive skin I'm sure he has sensitive feelings too. Oh well, the truth hurts sometimes.

You should be partnered up with someone more advanced who has been there for at least 6 months.
Ask your instructor about this and tell him you'd like a different partner to drill with.
For the record though, there are worse guys out there than that guy.
There's the scratch and claw guy, who will scratch you all over. After drilling or sparring with him you'll be full of scratches and have to ask your instructor to tell him to clip his nails and stop scratching like crazy.
Then there's the spaz, who completely spazzes out during a drill.
then there's the bag of hammers who leaves you feeling like you were sparring against a bag of hammers then there are many wo aree even worse, either way you get the picture right...:rolleyes:

Back