Have you ever given someone nutrition advice and they reject it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Give unsolicited advice only very sparingly, in the most urgent circumstances. Generally speaking, people who have not asked for advice hate being advised.
2. Apply rule #1 even more rigidly to nutrition, because everyone thinks they already know everything about nutrition to begin with, and take advice contrary to their "knowledge" as a personal attack.

This about sums it up and should probably be in the FAQ under the question "Should I give my friends/family nutrition advice?" or something similar.

Had a fat female frenchie at work telling me to not eat cheese on my chikun breasts because cheese is bad for you as it's really fattening. I ignored her, but mentioned it to a mate (who I have helped train, who does listen to me, who is getting bigger, pow!) and he sed just say.. lol...; look, you're fat, I'm not, why would i listen to you..

food for thought.

Just becuase you did "X" doesn't make you an expert or an authority on subject "X."

I am aware...

but it's widely accepted that active people needs lots of calories otherwise their metabolism slows down and it starts storing most food consumed as fat.

The best way to lose fat (not weight, necessarily) is to build muscle. More muscle means your metabolism works better to supply energy to the muscles. You cant build muscle unless you are eating properly.

I had a friend who was going to go on a "Raw Food" diet, which basically was the most retarded vegetarian diet any person could come up with, he was basically going to eat ONLY walnuts as a protein source and the rest in certain fruits and vegetables. I told him that he needed more than just walnuts to have a complete protein source and he just looked at me like I was stupid and said he knew what he was doing, he didnt keep it up for more than 4 days

I actually never had people reject my nutrition advice anytime in the last years. I know that 99% of the time it won't be followed, and every now and then I get the "I don't think I have the discipline for it". But I don't think I ever get anyone disagreeing with me.

That being said, I only offer my advice to people who ask for it or to very close friends.

I had a friend who was going to go on a "Raw Food" diet, which basically was the most retarded vegetarian diet any person could come up with, he was basically going to eat ONLY walnuts as a protein source and the rest in certain fruits and vegetables. I told him that he needed more than just walnuts to have a complete protein source and he just looked at me like I was stupid and said he knew what he was doing, he didnt keep it up for more than 4 days

Not trying to start an argument but as a raw vegan myself let me say that I get all my protein from plants and I do just fine. Been eating this way off and on for years. (I have lapses sometimes).

I eat no dairy, no seafood, no meat, no eggs, no refined sugar, and almost no cooked foods at all. Nothing processed or packaged either.....except beer.

Not trying to start an argument but as a raw vegan myself let me say that I get all my protein from plants and I do just fine. Been eating this way off and on for years. (I have lapses sometimes).

I eat no dairy, no seafood, no meat, no eggs, no refined sugar, and almost no cooked foods at all. Nothing processed or packaged either.....except beer.

Why do you avoid all this food though?

Curious..

Why do you avoid all this food though?

Curious..

I think that's a good question. For one thing I don't like the toxins that result from the processing and packaging in many of the foods we eat. Meat doesn't do anything for me. I mean I can't figure out what its nutritional value is for me.

Also, I'm lactose intolerant and dairy just gives me a bunch of mucus.

The better question I might ask though is why WOULD I eat all of those foods above when I get all the nutrition I need from whole raw foods that are non-processed and non manufactured?

Am I buff? No, but I'm 5'11" 170 pounds, all muscle and I'm in my 30's. People think I'm 24-25. I have no health problems, never get sick, clear skin, sharp memory, full head of thick hair.

It just works for me. I'm not judging anybody else because people do what works for them though.

But for somebody to ridicule raw vegan diets, which for some people work great, I had to step in because that might discourage somebody from trying a diet that might change their life for the better as it did mine.

Fuck it, who cares, look out for numero uno and call it a day.

after trying for years to let my friends/family know what they're doing wrong this is the attitude i've adopted. they don't wanna listen? fuck em, let em be envious of your "genetics/fast metabolism".

I didnt mean it was retarded itself, just the diet he proposed himself was retarded because he would mainly just eat bananas and walnuts

after trying for years to let my friends/family know what they're doing wrong this is the attitude i've adopted. they don't wanna listen? fuck em, let em be envious of your "genetics/fast metabolism".

Hahaha, I had someone tell me about how they're starting P90x all the while they're eating a cheeseburger and fries, and I got the "you have a fast metabolism/genetics" thing.

Guess the fact I was a 255pd fat slob most of my adolescent/early adult life and can gain weight by simply looking at junk food is now synonymous with having good genetics.

I exited that conversation very quickly there after.

Hahaha, I had someone tell me about how they're starting P90x all the while they're eating a cheeseburger and fries, and I got the "you have a fast metabolism/genetics" thing.

Guess the fact I was a 255pd fat slob most of my adolescent/early adult life and can gain weight by simply looking at junk food is now synonymous with having good genetics.

I exited that conversation very quickly there after.

Ha well to be fair, I can get away with eating cheeseburgers and fries SOMETIMES.

For the most part though, desserts and overly greasy food just turns me off

I've never given nutritional advice and had it respected.

I have however mostly ended up in those conversations with "I can't gain weight" people, and they tend to be working with some serious denial issues...

They won't accept that they might actually not know what it means to eat a lot and that milk with 0.1% fat doesn't really count for shit.

definately

i also know people who always complain of feeling like shit, yet when I point out how theyre running on shit food/refined carbs they ignore it.

I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and really watch what I eat (I'm Vegan), however, people come up to me and ask me what is the secret and all I say is nutrition. It is as simple as that.

I'm not bangin on about Veganism, do whatever, but there has to be a balance.

You can train all you like in the gym and hit the mat/ring whatever, but for the rest of the time it is what you put in your pie hole. That is what seperates the pack.

I work with a guy who is over 400 pounds. He goes to the gym to walk? and drinks water to "be healthy" and then destroys a pile of fried chicken with pizza and fries when no one is looking and then talks about healthy living.

You can indeed lead a horse to water but can't make it drink

Last edited:
hey Workers United can you tell me what you eat in a typical day? Do you take any supplements?

and do you sit down and eat a meal of like... just a plate of raw broccoli for dinner? thanks

hey Workers United can you tell me what you eat in a typical day? Do you take any supplements?

and do you sit down and eat a meal of like... just a plate of raw broccoli for dinner? thanks

I usually eat three of the following, though I switch up the order.

A) Fruit smoothie (lots of variations which I can elaborate on if you wish)

B) 32oz Green Juice from my personal juicer.

C) Huge Green Salad with squeezed citrus as dressing

D) Whole Fruit serving: A whole Cantaloupe or a half watermelon, Bananas, Apples, etc. Berries galore.

E) Almond/Seed/Nut medley with sea salt, herbs, olive oil*

F) Guacamole (sometimes I will cheat and eat organic tortilla chips with this)

I only use 1 supplement and it's a whole organic green superfood supplement.

*not technically raw

I also sometimes eat dried fruit which is technically not raw though it is a whole food.

At times I will eat a raw dessert as a treat, but once a week at most.

Also, rarely will I eat both a fruit serving and a fruit smoothie in a day. If I have a fruit smoothie I'll at most have whole fruit just as a snack. I also tend to eat fruit servings or fruit smoothie in the morning. I sometimes eat a whole lot of one single fruit for breakfast. Like 4 oranges or 3 apples, for instance.

I know some might be skeptical of this diet and believe me I was a big hater of all types of vegetarian/vegan diets before so I understand. All I can tell you is that it works for me and I'm as healthy as I've ever been in my life. The biggest downfall of this diet for me actually is that the only other people who have my diet are a bunch of hippies, new agers, stoners, hipsters, and yuppies. Not my crowd at all.

I sometimes eat a whole lot of one single fruit for breakfast. Like 4 oranges or 3 apples, for instance.
If I had that much fruit for breakfast, I would fall back asleep!

I actually do have the oft referred to 'fast metabolism', or whatever else it can be described as. My family is fairly lean, though I am certainly in the best shape of all of them, and I can get away with eating food I certainly shouldn't.

My girlfriend is the opposite, though, and easily puts on weight. A year before we started dating, she asked for some simple dieting advice, and lost about 20lbs, and then afterwards, while we were dating, because of my being there to make her food and train her, got into the best shape of her life.

Now, I have always been willing to help other friends get into shape, but it really does seem that if I am not there with them DAILY that it is a lost cause.

Additionally, I have noticed that, despite obvious examples and my educational background, anyone more than 5-10 years older than myself completely ignores any advice or offers of help, or, more often, just keeps doing their own thing, and constantly tells me about how good their new mail-away product/diet is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back