Have you ever fallen in love with a sub?

Collar choke. Collarchokecollarchokecollarchoke.

"You're not wearing a gi anymore, idiot. Try someth--"

"Collarchoke! *grabs at clavicle uselessly* Colla--arrrrrgh!

This is an accurate depiction of my no-gi game.

Definitely, for me, an arm triangle. I have long arms and I'm pretty explosive, so if you hang your arm anywhere I can push it up next to your head, expect an arm triangle.

And from Subway, a love a good ole' Italian BMT on Italian herb and cheese bread. Mmmmm...

Can't say I've ever fallen in love with a sub like that. I definitely have subs that I'm better at, and that I hit more often. I hit a lot of armbars and collar chokes (gi) and non-triangle chokes like guillotines and RNC's (no gi). But if I get a couple of those each day, I get a few other subs as well. I consider myself to have a versatile arsenal of subs, with a few that suit me best and that I hit with more frequency.

Lately I've been pretty fond of the bow and arrow choke. I think it's partly because I get to cradle a dude in my lap. Sometimes, after the tap I'll stroke his hair ever so gently. I put a guy to sleep the other night. It wasn't because of the choke, either, he was just really comfortable lying there.

Good lulz here.

Back in the late 90's, I fell in love with Ankle locks. Very few people knew them that well and I hit them all the time. I actually stopped passing guard for almost a year. Everytime some one got guard, I would drop back for an ankle lock. It actually hurt my game a lot.

Ha, except for the time period, this reads exactly like the year+ after my first 6 months of training. Didn't want to work to pass the guard? Too tired to pass? Too lazy? Bam, straight ankle lock...I hit them all the time too, then one day a training partner commented on it, which caused some introspection on my part. Even though I still love leg/feet/ankle subs, I hit them with infinitely less regularity.

leglock of any sort, I just can't help but go for the leg as soon as an opportunity is there, I am highly predictable because of this x)

I had a long relationship with my overhook from guard series. It was so reliable; always there when I needed it. We were engaged. I planned on spending the rest of my life with my overhook game.

Then one day, the overhook hurt me. An intercostal tear (rib cage) made me rethink our union. My heart started to wander to other submissions. I knew it wasn't the overhook's fault. We just grew apart. It happens in the best of relationships.

We are still good friends. We still hang out on occasion. Submission bachelorhood is lonely sometimes, but some people are just not meant to be in a committed relationship.

Triangles. But it's platonic. It's like being in love with someone who will never love me back, but gives me hope without meaning it just by smiling to me in the cold mornings of my life.

I've been really digging Ezekiel chokes from both half-guard and full mount lately.

Also been doing alot of juji-gatames from kesa gatame, I suck at doing "normal" juji gatames, but I have a pretty high sucess rate when I use my legs.

I have been training without the gi for about 2 months now and have grown to have a fondness of getting the brabo choke from my opponents half guard. I can't explain why, it's just currently my favorite submission. Any of you ever have a brief love affair with a particular submission, counter, sweep etc.?

I think this particular submission is much easier without the gi so I guess that explains my current enjoyment.

Imo, developing a mini obsession with certain techniques is a great way to progress and improve ones understanding of that technique. I'm pretty sure that's how all the best guys really develop certain aspects of their game to a high level (like Marcelo Garcia and his amazing guillotine, etc...)

My instructor is pretty big on focusing on one thing and hyper developing it for a month (or however long you feel like doing it) and then moving on to something else.

Triangles. But it's platonic. It's like being in love with someone who will never love me back, but gives me hope without meaning it just by smiling to me in the cold mornings of my life.

I was like that with the Triangle before. I learned to just grab it by the scruff of the neck so I could adapt myself well enough to make sweet love.

:icon_conf

These days it's the North-South choke, arm in or arm out. In addition to triangles and back chokes.

Used to love the brabo, but it doesn't play very well into my positional game anymore.

Back