Have you ever came across someone who you think just cant get it?

Kevza

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Random thread guys, but just when i read about BJJ tips for newbies etc, and its 1 i always tell new guys myself. To keep showing up and youll get better .

Have any of you ever trained in a gym and some guy/girl is always showing up to class, but you just cant ever see them improving ? The old 'white belt forever' thing lol

What would you say to someone then?

If they're enjoying themselves and getting the health benefits, then no reason to say anything other than more encouragement.

True story:

5-6 Years ago a guy came in a little older than me. He was 21-22. I was 18. He had a TMA background since he was 5.
His first few months of BJJ were hard to watch.
In drills he would lay completely flat and not use his hips at all. Just all strength.
In sparring i would sub him with everything known to man and it felt like he'd never learn.

Currently he's 3-0 pro and signed to RFA,
http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ricky-Steele-84460

Some people will just get it after awhile. Like something will click and it starts getting easy.

I have nothing but respect for the guys who keep showing up and get their assets kicked day in and day out.

Random thread guys, but just when i read about BJJ tips for newbies etc, and its 1 i always tell new guys myself. To keep showing up and youll get better .

Have any of you ever trained in a gym and some guy/girl is always showing up to class, but you just cant ever see them improving ? The old 'white belt forever' thing lol

What would you say to someone then?

I was this guy. It took me 4 years to earn my blue belt. Most students at my school who train consistently got promoted at 1.5-2 years of training. Not counting individuals who have a disability or health issues...I was absolutely the worst guy among my peers who trained at the same time as me and even the worst still among the newer groups of guys/girls who started to train after me.

I had three negatives going against me which I didn't realize at the time: 1) I was chubby(still am) 2) my cardio sucks and 3) my strength level is weak. I was below average in terms of general sport or martial art physical readiness or preparedness. Guys with great cardio would just submit me by out wrestling me and gassing me out and guys who were strong just needed to out muscle me. After a couple of rolls I was drained and exhausted. And it stayed liked this for four years until I started working out and I finally understood the strategy aspect of Jiu Jitsu. And then I improved and got better.

If the person genuinely wants keep learning BJJ tell them to keep training because they will get better. Just tell them to become the best version of themselves. I had one upper belt(purple) who indirectly mentored me by saying keep coming to class so you can get that blue belt. My advice to myself in the beginning had I possessed that knowledge and experience is to simply workout outside of class and consistently come to class.

I know this Paul Harris guy who "just can't get" that taps mean to let go.

My old instructor used to say, it ain't how you start, it's how you finish. Much respect to anyone who puts in their dues.

Just encourage them to keep going. I used to be so bewildered and ineffectual during Judo Newaza that I could only describe it as "playing 3d chess while drowning." Completely useless. Then, one day, something clicked I just started performing better on the ground. No new tricks, no change in how I trained; just seemed like my body started doing all the important stuff I could never remember.

If a guy is willing to keep showing up and getting his ass kicked in pursuit of grappling competence, you don't lose anything by encouraging him and keeping him around. He'll get it eventually.

I was about to say yes but I think it was due to their lack of attendance.

I am that guy. I have a straight losing record in competition; lost every match I've competed in. Consistently and constantly messing up the most basic concepts. I'm a pesadissimo so I beat guys rolling in the gym mainly due to weight and pressure. People who started over a year after I did are overtaking and surpassing me, and have way better competition records than my 100% losing record.

My woman has asked me multiple times why I keep going, and honestly I don't know. I just feel like I'm not myself unless I'm on the mats. Despite all evidence to the contrary, and knowing inside of myself that I will likely never progress skill-wise beyond white belt level cos that's just my lot, I still feel somehow I am meant to be there.

I know one guy... every time I see the dude he asks me to show him the same ankle lock...it's been something like 20 times now. And it's not a fancy rocket science flipping berimbolo ankle lock, it's thr standard top side ankle lock with leg control. Somehow the dude confuses top with bottom and left with right...so he'll do it, but it's a bottom side 5050 ankle lock or some other weird nonsense.

I'd chalk it up to my bad teaching, but I've taught many people the same ankle lock and even gave this dude Reilly's Sambo Leglocks for Nogi DVD to review. He's the same guy who tries to armbar the wrong arm from guard too..so safe to say, he's just not getting it after a few years in the game.

But every time I see him...i know that I'll be teaching an ankle lock that day. At its consistent.

I am that guy. I have a straight losing record in competition; lost every match I've competed in. Consistently and constantly messing up the most basic concepts.

I am that guy too. Went 0 and 12 the first competitions, and I was a whitebelt for three years with regular training, three or four times a week. Every training, I'd get my ass kicked by everyone, noobs or higher belts. One of my instructors still rants about how bad I was when he gets a little bit to drink.

But the reason he talks about it to me is because I'm better now. Much better. "You used to suck sooooo badly" is a weird form of praise, but in this case, it's a form of praise that I appreciate.

Show up regularly. Make an effort. Concentrate when the instructor teaches. Concentrate when you drill. Concentrate when you spar. Maybe you'll still see people pass you all the time, but you'll kick the ass of old you pretty fast. Just like future you is going to kick yours.

I am that guy too. Went 0 and 12 the first competitions, and I was a whitebelt for three years with regular training, three or four times a week. Every training, I'd get my ass kicked by everyone, noobs or higher belts. One of my instructors still rants about how bad I was when he gets a little bit to drink.

But the reason he talks about it to me is because I'm better now. Much better. "You used to suck sooooo badly" is a weird form of praise, but in this case, it's a form of praise that I appreciate.

Show up regularly. Make an effort. Concentrate when the instructor teaches. Concentrate when you drill. Concentrate when you spar. Maybe you'll still see people pass you all the time, but you'll kick the ass of old you pretty fast. Just like future you is going to kick yours.

Thank you, I appreciate the encouragement. I have begun to realise that the only person I need to be better than is the man I was yesterday, which fits in perfectly with your anecdote.

Oss.

One guy, yes. Drove me crazy teaching him. He was consistent, worked hard, got in shape, became very fluid in his movements, but when it came time to grapple he could never complete a technique and did a lot of nonsensical things no matter how many times you told him not to. Every time I showed him a new technique that I had shown a million times before (something basic), he would act like it was this revelatory technique that he had never seen before. He was still a white belt when he left us (moved across the country). He came back for a visit as a blue belt from his new place, but it was the same deal.

I haven't trained in a gi in a long time (since beginning of year), but have been doing judo/sambo with kurta/jacket but only takedowns with little grappling, I am expected to be "that guy" and get subbed like 5 times in 2 minutes haha.

For my first 6 months iv'e been the smallest/weakest guy at my gym, I would always get smashed by bigger guys and subbed. Took me a while to realize my improvement, even though these guys can still beat me I see myself getting small victories one at a time...a sweep here, an escape there, getting subbed less and rolling longer.

Once a couple guys less experienced and closer to my size showed up to train I could easily see how far iv'e come. "Getting it" isn't always as obvious as winning, to me the only way you wont progress if you train regularly is if you are simply an idiot and cannot retain information.

I am that guy. I have a straight losing record in competition; lost every match I've competed in. Consistently and constantly messing up the most basic concepts. I'm a pesadissimo so I beat guys rolling in the gym mainly due to weight and pressure. People who started over a year after I did are overtaking and surpassing me, and have way better competition records than my 100% losing record.

My woman has asked me multiple times why I keep going, and honestly I don't know. I just feel like I'm not myself unless I'm on the mats. Despite all evidence to the contrary, and knowing inside of myself that I will likely never progress skill-wise beyond white belt level cos that's just my lot, I still feel somehow I am meant to be there.

How long have you trained, man?

I REALLY think people that struggle like this need some other movement based activity. Remember, what is going on is more neurological. It is in your brain more than your body. Just like some kids have a harder time learning to read or write. They get passed up, no one works with them, and poof, they're in the dust.

So some supplementary activity that gets you used to your body in other ways: yoga, dance, gymnastics, swimming, I think would be best. Then other martial arts, karate, kickboxing, boxing.

Good luck, you can catch up, but if you take an approach, you will accelerate your progress exponentially.

How long have you trained, man?

I REALLY think people that struggle like this need some other movement based activity. Remember, what is going on is more neurological. It is in your brain more than your body. Just like some kids have a harder time learning to read or write. They get passed up, no one works with them, and poof, they're in the dust.

So some supplementary activity that gets you used to your body in other ways: yoga, dance, gymnastics, swimming, I think would be best. Then other martial arts, karate, kickboxing, boxing.

Good luck, you can catch up, but if you take an approach, you will accelerate your progress exponentially.

Thanks. Been training like 2 and a half years or so, so it's still early days really. I used to do other martial arts over the years, always intended to go back to Muay Thai but it's a difficult schedule.

I don't think I'll ever end up dancing or doing gymnastics, I have reasons for not participating in yoga, and I can't swim. Bugger. But that's good advice so I will look into finding something supplemental to help with that. Thanks.

Thanks. Been training like 2 and a half years or so, so it's still early days really. I used to do other martial arts over the years, always intended to go back to Muay Thai but it's a difficult schedule.

I don't think I'll ever end up dancing or doing gymnastics, I have reasons for not participating in yoga, and I can't swim. Bugger. But that's good advice so I will look into finding something supplemental to help with that. Thanks.

Interesting you never learned to swim. I'm finishing my master's degree in speech pathology, and my older child had all sorts of physical difficulties (coordination) growing up, so I've done a lot of reading about the neuroscience behind it all. Rogan just had a good podcast with Nick Curson (back in May) who is a fantastic trainer. We can do a lot to change our bodies and performance.

A book that a friend that a neurosurgeon recommended to me is The Brain that Changes Itself. Really easy to find a free PDF. Fascinating stuff. I think people that feel stuck doon't know how much they can actually do.

Definitely-- learn to swim. Start by learning to float, feel your body, it is mostly water, and does not really want to sink or to swim, but just kind of chill and move with the current. Then, you just move yourself around! Good luck, man.

Back