Have we reached Peak MMA?

When was peak MMA?

• Total voters
I wouldn't say that, look at Muay Thai, I give the top 10 fighters of the Golden era better odds at smashing the current top 10 at their weight class.........
Got to go with the future. All that knowledge of past greats is passed down and with coaching methods/nutrition always improving I think the odds would be in favour of the current fighters regardless of discipline.

I mean, there'll always be improvements as long as things continue, as minor as they might be.

I really think MMA has lots of areas where it can imrpove and i'm certain it will in the future.

Some years from now, there will be very few fighters with glaring weaknesses in the fundamentals, if at all. I'm also pretty confident we'll see a tremendous evolution in terms of footwork - we'll see switch stance fighters way more often.

@Sansnom @FrontNakedChoke @Zebra Cheeks @Ares Black @Frank McEdgar what do you guys think? where will we see the biggest improvements in terms of technique and tactics?

The athletes aren't even close to "peak", half the women fighters are mediocre to terrible athletes. We have top 5 women like Roxy and Raquelle Pennington, we have Kaiytlyn Choookgian fighting for a title this weekend. That's women's. For men's we have slobs at HW and I'm not talking visually.

Tyson Fury might appear to be a slob but has cardio to go 12-15-20 rounds in boxing. In the UFC we got straight up SLOBS at HW. There's a lot of mediocre ish athletes in other divisions too, like Iaquinta for example, like a Ryan Hall, half the LHW division or more, etc.

Technique will improve. Athletes can improve dramatically. There's factors at play like having the mental toughness and heart to train this hard and get punched in the head, hurt all the time in training, etc, but obviously the talent pool for MMA <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Football, Basketball, Boxing generally, etc.

I mean, there'll always be improvements as long as things continue, as minor as they might be.

I really think MMA has lots of areas where it can imrpove and i'm certain it will in the future.

Some years from now, there will be very few fighters with glaring weaknesses in the fundamentals, if at all. I'm also pretty confident we'll see a tremendous evolution in terms of footwork - we'll see switch stance fighters way more often.

@Sansnom @FrontNakedChoke @Zebra Cheeks @Ares Black @Frank McEdgar what do you guys think? where will we see the biggest improvements in terms of technique and tactics?
I think MMA is still evolving and that the best is yet to come. Nostalgia is tempting, but the reality is that the level of competition is better than ever and will continue to improve.

We are oversaturated with events, which both dilutes the average quality of cards, and reduces some fans appreciation of how good the fights actually are.

I try my best to maintain perspective.

Skillwise I think it’s about peaked (boxing has been around for whatever hundred years, if mma punching isn’t clean technique now it’s not going to suddenly clean up, the danger of the 5 ounce gloves doesn’t force nor require fighters to clean up technique if a wild haymaker can oat dividends over a lifetime of great boxing development).

mans as a parent and longtime mma fan, I don’t see kids in the future dreaming of mma. Or at least no where near enough kids to cause overall growth, it will still be an occasional mma prodigy and a lot of former wrestlers, grapplers, maybe some B level boxers who rather do mma. Garbrandt and Pico were prodigies of sort and, back to 5 ounce gloves, they have been suffering losses to typical mma dudes

It's weird because you have Conor who is probably the biggest MMA star ever, but that's it.

Where there used to be proper rivalries and sub text that would draw viewers in to big fights, now there is none.
Hell, Jones is fighting this weekend and outside of the typical MMA sites, it may as well not even exist there is so little promotion surrounding it.

You can say MMA is still trending upwards, but given the highs it WAS at (Tito, Chuck, Randy, GSP, BJ, Anderson, Forrest and Stephan Bonner etc...) i cannot see it. If anything it's contracting.

Technique wise? The best is yet to come. Go watch some of the kids MMA fights on YouTube. While none of them are the most tactical affairs, imagine how fucking good those kids are going to be in 10 years.

It's just going to continue to get better with more well rounded, life long trained competitors.

That Pride time is lauded because of quality of cards and a lot of now-legends hit their prime. Stacked cards with peaking fighters and to date the most exciting rules.

That aside, athletes get better through generations. A lot of short people in the 50's. Track & field world records tend to be beat. Vertical records get beat...you get the point.

MMA is still a very young sport. The amount of new techniques has increased in the last 10 years, and tech overall will be more polished.

I very much hope HW will one day have a long list of legit fighters. Now there are some guys swinging like bums and huffing & puffing after 3 minutes.

The media wants MMA to evolve. But technique doesn't evolve as fast as they promote.

The PPV buys will tell you, it seems like those days are in the past.

I think it's still growing, it will eventually surpass boxing to be the biggest combat sport. Boxing been going on for a 100 years or longer. MMA is just it's infancy still. Wait and see how it grows 10, 20, 30 years from now. It will be the elite combat sport in the world. It's only a matter of time.

the next evolution in my point of view is going to be more unorthodox strikes. Backhands and different types of martial counters like forearm strikes and standing hammerfists etc.

I am not saying that you are going to have full on wing chun but that just as we have oblique kicks and spinning kicks now, we are going to see more of these types of attacks.

In terms of athletesicsm we have past it, since PEDs are mostly forbidden, except for some fighters. In terms of technique it has peaked already even tho some new techniques pop up here and there, but dont expect any gamechangers from this point onwards.

The peak was BAWK, we're on the other side of it brother.

We are now in the afterlife stage of MMA stuck in a weird kind of purgatory

Future, as training methods, video, techniques, tactics, coaching and all accumulated knowledge continues to evolve.

Fighters have gotten worse since the 2000s. The floor is a lot higher but the ceiling has also fallen through. Nobody is going to come to MMA with its pay scale lmao

Future ...people are only going to get better and better and MMA keeps expanding globally which will produce more fighters/talent pool and will increase its fanbase overall.

MMA is here to stay.

I think we can compare past to present.
Let "future" only for the nerds and their physics.

PPVs: There was a time, not long ago, when several fighters reach 500k/1m range. Right now is only one.

CHAMPIONS: Already mentioned, taking Khabib out of the equation, champions on pic above mentioned beat currents champs.

POPULARITY: All the orgs had less tickets sold. Several orgs closed during the last 5/10 years. Just take a look at first orgs at UFC Fight pass.

Back