Have we reached Peak MMA?

When was peak MMA?

• Total voters

johnmangala

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In terms of technique, athletes, or media. Some argue peak MMA was in the past (2005) with Fedor, Cro Cop, and Big Nog. Others argue MMA hit it’s peak now with Conor, and Ronda in terms of money. Or it is the future with the arrival of more A level athletes?

Gotta hope it's in the future.

Because if it's now in the WWE era that's just sad.

Future, as training methods, video, techniques, tactics, coaching and all accumulated knowledge continues to evolve.

Basically all sports evolve and continue to get better over time as athletes, technique, and training methods continue to improve. Any answer other than "future" to this question is ignorant to how the world works.

Sadly, I think we're slowly passing peak right now.

Past in terms of being able to juice tf out but in terms of technique it's still improving

Someone post that picture of Prime cain, Jones, prime andy, GSP, Frankie, Aldo, and cruz. I'd pick every single one of those guys over current champs with the exception of frankie.

Edit: Gonna try this from my phone. Not sure it worked.

Attachments

• champs.jpg
    champs.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 6
Someone post that picture of Prime cain, Jones, prime andy, GSP, Frankie, Aldo, and cruz. I'd pick every single one of those guys over current champs with the exception of frankie.
Anderson & GSP probably, very much doubt the rest.

In terms of technique? Not even close. Fighters continue to learn from each other and incorporate new techniques in their arsenal.

Maybe not in terms of technique, but we've definitely passed the point of stacked cards and champs fighting more than once or twice a year.

All those guys you described have crappy compared to the top fighters today.It is evolving..

What can I say, I’m an optimist

you fool!

MMA hasn't even begun to peak!

When MMA peaks, trust me, you'll feel it.

Basically all sports evolve and continue to get better over time as athletes, technique, and training methods continue to improve. Any answer other than "future" to this question is ignorant to how the world works.

I wouldn't say that, look at Muay Thai, I give the top 10 fighters of the Golden era better odds at smashing the current top 10 at their weight class.........

Past or future. The current amount of amateur level names on roster is killing the average

I’m surprised there’s not even a single vote for present as of yet. The Conor/Ronda era got MMA mainstream.. for sure I would think some people consider MMA to peak in terms of profit with Conor/Ronda.

So are boxers better today than they were in the 80s? are kickboxers better than they were in the 90s and 00s?

MMA is akin to Jon Jones as its forever pulsing
<JonesLaugh>

Skills and trainers are lost with time no amount of YouTube will save that. I would say it will continue to have its ups and downs, just like most sports

So are boxers better today than they were in the 80s? are kickboxers better than they were in the 90s and 00s?
On average, most likely. But you can give it more time that that. The boxers in 2080 will assuredly be much stronger, faster, and better than boxers in 1980, just like how the boxers in 1920 can't even compare to the boxers today (most HW's were under 200 pounds back then).

Particularly with a sport as young as MMA, the improvements will be even more fast and noticeable.

Back