Have to switch to a 10th planet school, why is it advised against?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by babygetoboy, Jun 6, 2014.

1. babygetoboy

babygetoboy Yellow Belt

So I am moving and the only school close to me and that I can afford is a 10th planet school run by an Eddie Bravo brown belt. I've trained in the Gi for a couple years at a traditional bjj school. I was just wondering why is it so advised against, and if it was your only option to train bjj would you still train there? I searched the forums but didn't really find any answers.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am years sober and am reading 10th planet is only for stoners and everyone gets high, is that true?

2. JustTheTip

JustTheTip Green Belt

Visit all of the schools in your area and decide which you like best.

/thread

3. jiujitsujoe

jiujitsujoe White Belt

I train traditional Gi BJJ and i train at a 10th Planet school too. I have meet really cool training partners at 10th Planet and the system is very organized and innovative. The group is very open minded and accepting whether you are straight-edge or a cannibas connoisseur.

4. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

If my only BJJ option was 10th Planet I'd be looking for Judo and Sambo clubs.

5. Baianada

Baianada Brown Belt

If you were a sprinter and you could choose the Jamaican sprinting team training method or the weird tricky training method of the swedish sprinting team that all sprinting coaches hate, which one would you chose?

6. FlexLuthor

FlexLuthor Blue Belt

Go check out the gym.

10th P has an organized curriculum that has produced high level grapplers just like every other gym.

No one is going to force you to join the after class smoke break.

7. xfire

xfire Orange Belt

go check it out, see if you like it, if not then look elsewhere

8. Rittsy

Rittsy Red Belt

As long as you're cool with no-Gi BJJ, then there's no reason to reject it. You learn 'traditional' BJJ alongside the 10th Planet system.

9. pesadissimo

pesadissimo Blue Belt

If it's your only option, I don't really see what the problem is. Yeah, some guys don't like the system or Eddie Bravo, but I think it's Ari Bolden that really turned a lot of people off to 10th Planet. While I think training only no gi (or only go for that matter) is lacking, and some of the more complicated positions and moves are rushed into by beginners in lieu of fundamentals, there's nothing inherently wrong with the system provided you're coming into it with solid fundamentals. You say you've got a couple of years in... give it a try.

10. Qtip inspector

Qtip inspector Blue Belt

10 p SF has many blues/ purples that came from gi schools( Rey Diego , Camarillo , Renzo etc)
    Don't be scared homie

11. Qtip inspector

Qtip inspector Blue Belt

Btw who is the brown belt?

12. tap21

tap21 Green Belt

10th Planet has produced a lot of good competition grapplers. I understand there are 10th Planet instructors who don't smoke weed at all.

So, the weed thing and the competition results are not reasons to avoid 10th Planet.

What's left?

13. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

Wait, if 10th Planet is all no-gi... what's with the belts? Do they wear them with rashguards and board shorts???

14. Was Exiled

Was Exiled Brown Belt

Yup, rashguards. I read that if you are a blue or purple belt in BJJ then you are automatically a blue or purple in 10th planet (the same can't be said for brown and black).

15. tap21

tap21 Green Belt

Just to clarify, they do not wear the belts with rashguards. The belts are just symbols of the achievement...like a trophy you keep on the shelf.

16. String Bean

String Bean Yellow Belt

gotta check it out and take it on a case by case basis.

maybe there are gonna be lots of stoners, maybe not. in the end, eddie bravo probably knows more about bjj than you and so do his brown belts.

17. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

whats so bad about 10th planet? I'd personally prefer a more traditional approach to bjj, but I think it'd be really valuable to see the game from a point of a view as drastically different as 10th planets.

I think for the TS, training at the 10th planet gym for a month will do nothing but good. After that, see if you like it there or not and either re-up your contract or not.

18. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

Ive grown to like more and more the 10thp system, from what Ive seen, they have the same basic curriculum as most TBJJ schools, but add some twists to the game that eddie has introduced, and cleary some of those techniques work really good...

19. Os3y3ris

Os3y3ris Green Belt

10th planet is fine. Check them out and have fun.

20. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

10th planet may have it's faults, but it can't be that much worse than that worm guard/50/50/berimbolo shit going on everywhere else.