Have the clear No.1 and No.2 guys in the division ever refused to fight?

StormGymLuton

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Like how Cain won't fight Cormier, GSP and Rory etc. None of these have become number 2 ranked yet but both seem very possible. I can understand why they wouldn't. If you have ever trained in a gym, it's easy to see how you wouldn't fight a fellow partner who you have been with for possibly many years. Gyms can feel a lot like family.

Having said that, it will clearly cause problems if this does start to happen. The UFC is designed to know who is the best fighter in the world. It's a shame that we may never know this if the same gyms start to produce 2 or more top contenders.

Has this already happened at any point? It hasn't as far as I am aware but it will most certainly happen in the future, and possibly on many occasions...

I believe Shogun and Wandy were there at one point.

As you said Cormier and Rory are not "clear" #2 fighters. I can't think of this ever happening. One possible instance is Machida fighting at LHW because Silva was fighting MW and they refused to fight.

Like how Cain won't fight Cormier, GSP and Rory etc. None of these have become number 2 ranked yet but both seem very possible. I can understand why they wouldn't. If you have ever trained in a gym, it's easy to see how you wouldn't fight a fellow partner who you have been with for possibly many years. Gyms can feel a lot like family.

Having said that, it will clearly cause problems if this does start to happen. The UFC is designed to know who is the best fighter in the world. It's a shame that we may never know this if the same gyms start to produce 2 or more top contenders.

Has this already happened at any point? It hasn't as far as I am aware but it will most certainly happen in the future, and possibly on many occasions...

No it isnt. You dont cut top 10 guys if you are trying to find the best fighters in the world. They Ufc is about having the most famous people fight and make as much short term money as possible. Nothing to do with providing a legitimate sports product.

Who do you think would of taking it when both in their prime then? :D

"Pure Pride Rules"?

gotta go with Wanderlai.

I cant see shogun using headbutts naturally,

much less open the wound with their fingers, like say....

a brilliant fighter like Mar Kerr.

No it isnt. You dont cut top 10 guys if you are trying to find the best fighters in the world. They Ufc is about having the most famous people fight and make as much short term money as possible. Nothing to do with providing a legitimate sports product.

Someone who will be #4-#5 for the rest of their career doesn't help determine who the #1 guy is. Sorry.

Someone who will be #4-#5 for the rest of their career doesn't help determine who the #1 guy is. Sorry.

Wrong. When you cut #3-#10 guys so the "contenders" can fight crappier guys that are more marketable and willing to "stand and bang" but not as good fighters, it makes it much harder to get a clear picture on who actually is the best fighter in the world...

Fedor+Emelianenko+Tito+Ortiz+Ring+NASDAQ+Opening+465ZCnLvo3fl.jpg

It is a little bit of both. They want the best fighters and most famous. If the UFC really wanted to just cash in, they would be having the Rampage/Tito fight.

Yeh Tito just flat out ducked Chuck for like two years.

Chuck never refused to fight Tito and Shogun and Wand were never the 1 and 2 at the same time.

Wasn't Wand still the champ the year Shogun won the Middle weight Grand Prix? Not sure if winning the Grand Prix made Shogun the clear #2 guy in the Pride Middle Weight ranks.

Wasn't Wand still the champ the year Shogun won the Middle weight Grand Prix? Not sure if winning the Grand Prix made Shogun the clear #2 guy in the Pride Middle Weight ranks.

He was "still the champ" because he only defended the belt 2 times in his entire career lol. The belt was basically meaningless. The year Shogun went on his run is the year
Wandy went 1-1 with Arona and beat up a couple undersized japanese blokes.

Meanwhile, Chuck was absolutely beasting guys in the UFC smashing Randy twice.

Back