Have any fighters discussed heart palpitations/arrhythmias during weight cuts?

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Thoughts?

I'm not a fighter myself and dont voluntarily dehydrate myself, but when I am dehydrated and my electrolyte levels are off, I get bad heart palps and skipped beats, but have a healthy heart and mostly just worry me.

I'm also able to fix them by hydrating and taking magnesium/potassium, but what would fighters do when they cant hydrate?

Do they take magnesium/potassium or electrolyte formulas, or do they simply have to tough it out until weigh ins

Also, I wouldn't want to have heart beat issues/palpitations knowing the next day I have to perform an intense athletic competition where my heart would be under stress.

Thoughts?

I think most people who drop dead from heart issues have some underyling undiscovered issue that no one would have even thought to look for until they die or nearly die.

Just one of those rare, super tragic things.

Havent you seen John Q, mayn?

As far as I know there hasn't been a ton of scientific study on this. Ethics make it hard to study and active fighters are going to be persuaded not to participate because it could cancel their chances of fighting. I think common sense tells us it probably happens, but goes unreported.

Kevin Lee did

DMXdjYRUEAAx5Zq.jpg

Thoughts?

I'm not a fighter myself and dont voluntarily dehydrate myself, but when I am dehydrated and my electrolyte levels are off, I get bad heart palps and skipped beats, but have a healthy heart and mostly just worry me.

I'm also able to fix them by hydrating and taking magnesium/potassium, but what would fighters do when they cant hydrate?

Do they take magnesium/potassium or electrolyte formulas, or do they simply have to tough it out until weigh ins

Also, I wouldn't want to have heart beat issues/palpitations knowing the next day I have to perform an intense athletic competition where my heart would be under stress.

Thoughts?

Uriah Hall claimed to suffer "mini heart attack" during weigh ins...fight was cancelled

I've had atrial fibrillation when cutting and exercising excessively for a bjj tournament but I'm predisposed to it. There will be a few who've had it I'm sure. It's not an uncommon condition among otherwise healthy people

Uriah Hall claimed to suffer "mini heart attack" during weigh ins...fight was cancelled
Uriah Hall lied. He would NEVER be allowed to step foot in the Octagon as a fighter again if it was proven that he truly suffered a heart attack no matter how mild. Dr. Hall can claim mini heart attack all he likes. Medical doctors did NOT diagnose him like that!

Good question, TS. I think that outside of Hardy’s Wolff-Parkinson-White diagnosis, there haven’t been too many well-known arrhythmia stories in MMA. I guess Struve’s and Leben’s cardiomyopathies are kind of in the ballpark.

Uriah Hall lied. He would NEVER be allowed to step foot in the Octagon as a fighter again if it was proven that he truly suffered a heart attack no matter how mild. Dr. Hall can claim mini heart attack all he likes. Medical doctors did NOT diagnose him like that!

Well at least he did not die two times like Dada 100500

All i know is without potassium your heart fail... So i would wage that there is a lot of heart repercussions.

Till went blind mid-cut. That can't be healthy.

Back