1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Have a question for the pro and am fighters that post here

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by korn_995, Jul 18, 2010.

1. korn_995

korn_995 White Belt

I have just been informed by my trainer that the last piece of the puzzle before I can make my amature mma debut is my S&p and conditioning, I went to a guy he recomended in may and the workouts broke my body down bad, he was a crossfit style guy. I have lost 100 lbs in the last 15-16 months. I've been trying to figure a system out on my own but constantly keep burning out. In the spring I lifted with my uni's powerlifting team, which consitently ranks top 15 in the country. Again it was hard to maintain a good balance. I am here looking for advise from people who have struck the balance before and some pointers, not a system because everyone is different and there is never a cookie cutter answer.

Stats: Age: 27, WT:265ish bf% 16-17

I do attend college full time and my skill work at night lasts 2:30-3:30 each night 5-6x and i am going to be sparring 2x a week at 1030 am as required.

the lines i am running along with thinking is
    5/3/1 modifed for 1 upper and 1 lower 2 days a week with 1 assistance exercise per lift most likely bw
    2 days energy system training, sprints, strongman (tire flips keg exercises ect) complexs (barbell, and kettle bell), and if i can buld one sled work

Just need advise on scheduling and calorie intake as my goal is to pull off 50 more pounds without dying

2. korn_995

korn_995 White Belt

sorry forgot to add, i don't do well on carbs as i took some meds that messed up my insulin sensitivity, yes this was verified by a dr., that is why i put on the weight before the meds i was a 240 lbs rugby player for, and a 200 lbs football player I was able to take the weight off using Dr. John bernardi's precision nutrition and doing my best to follow his 7 effective habits. Eventhough i ate out a lot

3. plugchop

plugchop Blue Belt

Lulz at this fat fuck being 365 lbs a year and a half ago.

4. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

^ lol thats raw

and how tall are you?

5. MatterOverMind

MatterOverMind Pulling for you

As a professional fighter, I agree 100% with TS.

6. korn_995

korn_995 White Belt

I'm just a hair over 6ft.

7. Gary Peters

Gary Peters Purple Belt Professional Fighter

2 day split in FAQ or 2 days of Starting Strength - rest of training cardio/skill work.

8. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

I'm assuming this is serious, although at 27, it's hard to tell (lots of late starters in the world though).

If you can eat a lot and sleep a lot, you'll be ok with 2-3 times a week heavy lifting, no more then 60-90 minutes in the gym per session (I can't get done what I need to get done in 45 minutes or under which is the suggested amount). Build up slowly.

I used the 5*5 method when at uni and it did work for me well, however I was sleeping and eating a lot (ie no social life) and was a zombie pretty much because of the strain (I was doing a technie degree).

I wouldn't train energy systems seperately. If you're doing the amount you are saying you do, maybe throw in 1 LSD session a week to help with recovery. Everything that is non MMA training should be heavy lifting or recovery.