Have a question for the pro and am fighters that post here

korn_995

White Belt
Reaction score
I have just been informed by my trainer that the last piece of the puzzle before I can make my amature mma debut is my S&p and conditioning, I went to a guy he recomended in may and the workouts broke my body down bad, he was a crossfit style guy. I have lost 100 lbs in the last 15-16 months. I've been trying to figure a system out on my own but constantly keep burning out. In the spring I lifted with my uni's powerlifting team, which consitently ranks top 15 in the country. Again it was hard to maintain a good balance. I am here looking for advise from people who have struck the balance before and some pointers, not a system because everyone is different and there is never a cookie cutter answer.

Stats: Age: 27, WT:265ish bf% 16-17

I do attend college full time and my skill work at night lasts 2:30-3:30 each night 5-6x and i am going to be sparring 2x a week at 1030 am as required.

the lines i am running along with thinking is
5/3/1 modifed for 1 upper and 1 lower 2 days a week with 1 assistance exercise per lift most likely bw
2 days energy system training, sprints, strongman (tire flips keg exercises ect) complexs (barbell, and kettle bell), and if i can buld one sled work

Just need advise on scheduling and calorie intake as my goal is to pull off 50 more pounds without dying

sorry forgot to add, i don't do well on carbs as i took some meds that messed up my insulin sensitivity, yes this was verified by a dr., that is why i put on the weight before the meds i was a 240 lbs rugby player for, and a 200 lbs football player I was able to take the weight off using Dr. John bernardi's precision nutrition and doing my best to follow his 7 effective habits. Eventhough i ate out a lot

Lulz at this fat fuck being 365 lbs a year and a half ago.

2 day split in FAQ or 2 days of Starting Strength - rest of training cardio/skill work.

I'm assuming this is serious, although at 27, it's hard to tell (lots of late starters in the world though).

If you can eat a lot and sleep a lot, you'll be ok with 2-3 times a week heavy lifting, no more then 60-90 minutes in the gym per session (I can't get done what I need to get done in 45 minutes or under which is the suggested amount). Build up slowly.

I used the 5*5 method when at uni and it did work for me well, however I was sleeping and eating a lot (ie no social life) and was a zombie pretty much because of the strain (I was doing a technie degree).

I wouldn't train energy systems seperately. If you're doing the amount you are saying you do, maybe throw in 1 LSD session a week to help with recovery. Everything that is non MMA training should be heavy lifting or recovery.

Back