Hate to say it but Schuab has a damn good point

So, he was trying to win the fight like he is supposed to. He knew the fight was close, and he pushed harder than his opponent. Fight IQ. The judges saw it, and agreed with him.
He was 1 from 9 in the takedown department yet still insisted on resorting to that method in the 4th and 5th. Why do you think he would try something he wasn't doing well at? One simple explanation would be that he (and almost everyone else) knew he was losing what had so far been a stand up battle so he has to try something else.

Well it's MMA.... going for a shot up or down in a fight is part of the game lol. And I gave the fight to Reyes, but Holy shit what a stupid point

I suspect Jones knew favourable judging would give him any round he had a takedown in even if that takedown resulted in almost zero ground control.

Greg Jackson told Jones he needed a finish in the 5th round. I'm pretty sure I heard him say that.

So yeah going for the td would have been his best chance the way the fight was going.

Wrong. Jon Jones knew the fight was close, and because of his understanding of the importance of TD's in the judges' eyes, he went for the TD's to separate himself as the favorite in a very close fight.

Fight IQ.
Nope

Is that supposed to be a revelation? He went to his wrestling because Reyes was beating him standing.

Everyone who isn't stupid already knew that lol

I mean Reyes won the fight but Jones shooting doesnt mean anything about that. He probably thought "hey hes tired,i can get him this time"

I don't get it. What's the reasoning behind panic wrestling cuz you're down 3-0? Wouldn't you be trying to head hunt in order to get the stoppage necessary?

I would have thought he was shooting because Reyes was obviously substantially more tired. For a strong, athletic guy like Reyes who has good TD defence, it would have been much harder earlier on to wrestle him when he had a lot of energy and was moving around fast.

But then again, i'm no expert.
I think Schaub is probably right with that; 18 seconds into the fourth round Jones ate a left straight from Reyes which had him hurt and made him retreat immediately, just before Reyes landed another good shot, which was e left hook right to Jones jaw.
Reyes pushed the pace and IIRC Jones didn'r throw one strike after that, but has gone for the takedown, with even Dominick Cruz (who at least if it's about striking should understand a thing or two) saying that Jones has now gone for the takedown because he was hurt by Reyes.

Depending on how much you value a takedown, you could very well score this round as a draw, as Jones did land a few more shots this round, but Reyes landed the more effective shots (which had Jon really hurt) and Jones takedown hasn't had Reyes down for even a second.

How in the hell can one person rub so many in the wrong way??!!??!!
This tells more about those people than Schaub.

Is that supposed to be a revelation? He went to his wrestling because Reyes was beating him standing.

Everyone who isn't stupid already knew that lol
The relevance is Jon is saying me in my team know I won that fight lol no you don't

Schaub: I mean Jones was shooting because he knew he was losing. He was desperate. He definitely thought he was losing.
Rogan: I think he was shooting cause it was a smart tactical adjustment against a tired Reyes. He didn't think he was losing.
Schaub: oh yea, I mean he didn't think he was losing. 100% he was making a smart adjustment. That's not even a question. 100%

REYES

source.gif

Back