Hatchets

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by Higus, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Higus

Higus Yellow Card Yellow Card

Saw some deals on Amazon pop up recently and thought about picking one up for some brush clearing or camping. Anyone like/recommend a particular brand or type of hatchet?

[​IMG]

2. TheRash

TheRash Green Belt

Fiskars makes excellent hatchets and axes. You'll be very happy with the one in your picture.

3. Blood Python

Blood Python Silver Belt

I was thinking of buying the Kershaw camp axe. It's like 29$

[​IMG]

4. PureDominance

PureDominance Banned Banned

I have that Kershaw. Comes extremely sharp and it

5. Fire of Youth

Fire of Youth Green Belt

I use a machete for that kind of stuff.

6. Winbot

Winbot Green Belt

Personally I prefer a wooden handled hatchet with a leather sheathe. There are a few reasons for this. One I find that wooden handles are far easier on the hand than any synthetic or metal ones I've ever used, two for its strength, weight and ease of replacement wood has no substitute. I like leather sheathes simply because they are strong and do not add much size to the tool when it is packed.

If you are looking for something to use on camping outings, hikes, etc I would avoid the Fiskars hatchet pictured there and here's why. The blade is to narrow and lacks a decent curve, this makes any sort ofhewing absolutely more difficult. The handle is synthetic and has no curve, this will likely result in the head eventually becoming slightly loose as you use the hatchet more and more. The lack of curve in the handle will deliver more shock to your hands as you use it.

My general rule of thumb when selecting a hatchet is simply looking at what hatchets were before modern tools were being produced and trying to find something very similar. Believe it or not the old bastards who ran around the woods with them 150+ years ago knew a thing or two about their design.

Now if you are just looking for something to split firewood with at home or something to hack down saplings in the backyard the Fiskars is absolutely adequate and will serve you well. If you're looking for something to hew and carve with avoid it and look for something like this [​IMG]

Now I wont lie that sort is going to be more expensive but, it is absolutely a better tool and it will cover just about all your bases.

7. AXSO

AXSO Orange Belt

Delete

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014