Has your opinion of MMA fighters in wrestling changed over the years?

As long as they "get it" and can perform, I don't care who goes into pro-wrestling. Some obviously don't transition well, though.

The most surprising was probably Rousey. Very quick study. Looked like a natural in there. I can't think of too many who absolutely floundered, though. Dan Severn was just awful, but I don't think he even tried to transition. He was just there for a quick buck. I think it was Frank Trigg in TNA who really either didn't get it, or was booked to be an "MMA guy", and just got booed out the building for being boring as fuck. Shamrock actually had some rocky beginnings too, before he eventually figured it out and quelled those "Shamrock Sucks!" chants.

Every professional fighter that wants to make money should study how old wrestlers did interviews.

Ali actually said he copied some of what Gorgeous George did because he saw it as a good way to make money.
Then you get to the WWE and they have you telling people you are going to beat the suffering succotash out of someone

It seems like MMA and Pro-Wrestling has the most cross-overs than any other two forms of live entertainment.

*The original cross-over was Ken Shamrock coming over to the WWE in the mid-90s.
*Brock Lesnar becoming a huge WWE star, coming to UFC, and back to WWE.
*The numerous appearances of Pride stars in Japan's pro-wrestling circuit.
*Tank Abbot in WCW.
*Ronda Rousey.
*And recently PVZ and Masvidal making appearances in AEW, and apparently JDS is actually going to wrestle.

The best of all of these is obviously Lesnar.
The worst is obviously Tank Abbot in WCW.

But I'm cool with about everything in moderation, but I'm starting to think that Masvidal, PVZ, and JDS all making appearances on AEW shows may be too much.

Your thoughts?

You’re mixing timelines up, chicken and egg, I can’t be fucked to dissect it sentence by sentence but read up on the roots of pro wrestling and then MMA. You don’t even know where Shamrock and Pride came from. Have fun learning the history.

You’re mixing timelines up, chicken and egg, I can’t be fucked to dissect it sentence by sentence but read up on the roots of pro wrestling and then MMA. You don’t even know where Shamrock and Pride came from. Have fun learning the history.

Ken Shamrock was in the earliest of UFCs in 1993, and crossed over to WWE in 1996.
He's the first cross-over star.

The first Pride event had Japanese pro-wrestlers competing in MMA, and later on the regular MMA fighters made appearances in Japan's pro-wrestling orgs.

I'm not in the habit of writing essays for OPs that no one is going to read, so I leave out details that I figure only the easily triggered get triggered over a few details left out.

Ken Shamrock was a pro wrestler before he was an MMA fighter, technically he wasn't an MMA fighter that crossed over. He was a pro wrestler that crossed over to MMA and then came back to wrestling.

Yeah at the first UFC Ken Shamrock thought for sure 100% it was all gonna be a big work and had to be convinced like 50 times it was shoot fights., haha. He had done years of pro wrestling before UFC 1.

Aside from Brock, no one else has done it as good as Josh Barnett.

wk22.png

20080216123.jpg

D3V2dRSWAAA7Yxy.0.0.jpeg

The style I think helps as well, New Japan way back into the Inoki days I think made it easy for "legit" gimmicks to work well(whether the guy was actually legit or not) they way it would sell that kind of action.

No one gonna put some hespek on the name of Bart Vale???

It seems like MMA and Pro-Wrestling has the most cross-overs than any other two forms of live entertainment.

*The original cross-over was Ken Shamrock coming over to the WWE in the mid-90s.
*Brock Lesnar becoming a huge WWE star, coming to UFC, and back to WWE.
*The numerous appearances of Pride stars in Japan's pro-wrestling circuit.
*Tank Abbot in WCW.
*Ronda Rousey.
*And recently PVZ and Masvidal making appearances in AEW, and apparently JDS is actually going to wrestle.

The best of all of these is obviously Lesnar.
The worst is obviously Tank Abbot in WCW.

But I'm cool with about everything in moderation, but I'm starting to think that Masvidal, PVZ, and JDS all making appearances on AEW shows may be too much.

Your thoughts?
WTF?
No one mentioned Dan Severn, who carried Lou Thesz NWA strap and held it aloft when he won UFC tournaments thus bringing a ton of legitimacy to pro wrestling at the time
08acb-15421251608760-800.jpgDanSevern.jpg
Badly misused as could have been the ultimate destroyer character. Bill Goldberg told him he was role playing Severn

No one's mentioned Don Fryes huge run in NJPW either where he headlined Inoki's retirement bout
He did the worked shoot domain extremely well
bfb11005f9bc616dabc50de63685e00d.jpg

Also Tank was great in WCW he just had heat from the other guys but the timing was spot on, have to expect WCW to misuse him.

I hear the Young Bucks are legit shooters. Not sure if true, but apparently Scott Steiner backed down to one of them. But he is obviously not what he once was

Mods. Please ban this guy and everyone who likes his post. Such heresy cannot be tolerate.

I like the crossover. I think grapplers do better than knock out artists. I personally don’t think McGregor would do well because he’d be difficult to book as a striker .

Last edited:
Back