1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Has your opinion of MMA fighters in wrestling changed over the years?

Discussion in 'Pro Wrestling Discussion' started by GearSolidMetal, Oct 8, 2021.

1. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

As long as they "get it" and can perform, I don't care who goes into pro-wrestling. Some obviously don't transition well, though.

The most surprising was probably Rousey. Very quick study. Looked like a natural in there. I can't think of too many who absolutely floundered, though. Dan Severn was just awful, but I don't think he even tried to transition. He was just there for a quick buck. I think it was Frank Trigg in TNA who really either didn't get it, or was booked to be an "MMA guy", and just got booed out the building for being boring as fuck. Shamrock actually had some rocky beginnings too, before he eventually figured it out and quelled those "Shamrock Sucks!" chants.

2. Via Heeto Yellow Belt

Then you get to the WWE and they have you telling people you are going to beat the suffering succotash out of someone

D.R.H. likes this.
  3. warriorsplay You can run but you can’t hide

You’re mixing timelines up, chicken and egg, I can’t be fucked to dissect it sentence by sentence but read up on the roots of pro wrestling and then MMA. You don’t even know where Shamrock and Pride came from. Have fun learning the history.

4. warriorsplay You can run but you can’t hide

Fuck me, I’m in good company!

D.R.H. likes this.
  5. GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

Ken Shamrock was in the earliest of UFCs in 1993, and crossed over to WWE in 1996.
    He's the first cross-over star.

The first Pride event had Japanese pro-wrestlers competing in MMA, and later on the regular MMA fighters made appearances in Japan's pro-wrestling orgs.

I'm not in the habit of writing essays for OPs that no one is going to read, so I leave out details that I figure only the easily triggered get triggered over a few details left out.

6. Based God プロレス Platinum Member

Ken Shamrock was a pro wrestler before he was an MMA fighter, technically he wasn't an MMA fighter that crossed over. He was a pro wrestler that crossed over to MMA and then came back to wrestling.

Pliny Pete likes this.
  7. CrippleWerk Green Belt

Yeah at the first UFC Ken Shamrock thought for sure 100% it was all gonna be a big work and had to be convinced like 50 times it was shoot fights., haha. He had done years of pro wrestling before UFC 1.

8. moreorless87 Straba

The style I think helps as well, New Japan way back into the Inoki days I think made it easy for "legit" gimmicks to work well(whether the guy was actually legit or not) they way it would sell that kind of action.

9. Big Nasty Edison Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

No one gonna put some hespek on the name of Bart Vale???

10. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality

WTF?
    No one mentioned Dan Severn, who carried Lou Thesz NWA strap and held it aloft when he won UFC tournaments thus bringing a ton of legitimacy to pro wrestling at the time
    08acb-15421251608760-800.jpg DanSevern.jpg
    Badly misused as could have been the ultimate destroyer character. Bill Goldberg told him he was role playing Severn

No one's mentioned Don Fryes huge run in NJPW either where he headlined Inoki's retirement bout
    He did the worked shoot domain extremely well
    bfb11005f9bc616dabc50de63685e00d.jpg

Also Tank was great in WCW he just had heat from the other guys but the timing was spot on, have to expect WCW to misuse him.

11. catchwrestle Orange Belt

Mods. Please ban this guy and everyone who likes his post. Such heresy cannot be tolerate.

D.R.H. and Thrawn33 like this.
  12. catchwrestle Orange Belt

I like the crossover. I think grapplers do better than knock out artists. I personally don’t think McGregor would do well because he’d be difficult to book as a striker .

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022