Has training/watching MMA made you snob when it comes to...

I'm always yelling "Your chin isn't going to stay iron forever" "take it to the ground you're getting picked apart standing" when I watch fight scenes in movies now.

Not really. Action movies are just for fun. I realised how unrealistic they were the first time I got the piss beat out of me.

No. I let stuff on Tv go, because I'm able to suspend reality when watching movies and Tv.

I love when people knife fight in movies and everyone is parrying knife attacks back and forth.

I agree with you TS, the only martial arts movies I till thoroughly enjoy are Jackie Chan movies because the stunts are still awesome and even though the fighting isn't hyper realistic its still fast paced and might use props or have some humorous elements. But for the most part its harder for me to enjoy.

I did like the action scenes in The Fighter though, those were very well done. Maybe you boxing enthusiasts saw problems with it but as someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of the sweet science I enjoyed it.

I dont need perfect form/technique from movies (unless someone is supposed to have but doesnt) but one thing that I have problems with is when someone is using a useless technique and it works.

Common thing is what OP mentioned. Some badass fighter is going for choke from behind (bad form is allowed since he might not know grappling) and the guy/girl getting choked gets out by elbowing the attacked in the stomach.

If you are a fighter, well trained etc then a elbow to the gut wont make any difference.

I think you people are forgetting this gem:

It really only bothers me when they are supposed to be highly trained and can't even throw a jab right.

I am critical, but it rarely bothers me too much as long as the scenes are entertaining and well designed, or at least make sense based on the character's skill. I do prefer realistic fighting over flashy theatrics, and it is harder to enjoy a "realistic" fight when he technique sucks.

If I ever get on my high horse I just remember that when I first saw Mel triangle Joshua in Lethal Weapon, I had never trained before and I was like "wtf, how could that work?". Keeps me humble.

I've seen the videos about applying the Keysi Fighting Method to the Dark Knight series. It looks decent in those videos, but it didn't translate to the actors in the most recent movie. I also strongly doubt KFM instructs wild haymakers. They were far too noticeable in that movie.

A lot of the moves with the elbows guarding the head and hacks with the forearms reminded me of KFM. I think the haymakers were put in to give the non-Martial Artists something they could see easily and recognize.

As I said, I'm not a big fan of KFM to begin with and how it was used in DKR did it no favors. I would have preferred it if they had based Batman and Bane's fighting styles on a combination of Thai Boxing and Kali, with some BJJ/MMA for any Grappling scenes(Wayne does RNC Harvey Dent in DK so he can put him in a panic room when the Joker attacks his penthouse).

No, I still watch JCVD kick the shit out of Tong po
with the same pleasure, after 10 years of Karate.

yeah a lot
but then I only watch stuff like
Donni yen's flashpoint
or The RAID redemption
as close to realistic as it can
and the moves are spectacular and entertaining.

Oh yes...yes indeed.Whenever I see some shitty fights on Tv or in a movie I facepalm or roll my eyes.I just can't watch the fights if they are not "real enough" or don't have that mma feel too them.

Back