Has training/watching MMA made you snob when it comes to...

I also wonder if it is super easy to rear naked choke anybody, like Dexter does all the time on his show.

Dexter is trained in hand to hand combat, he even took BJJ lesson all through college and learned from his cop dad. so he knows how to apply it right.

Im more of a snob in the sense that when I am watching MMA with some of my friends who are very casual fans and they say something that is factually incorrect or they pick fighter A to beat fighter B and I disagree with their pick.

I am usually quick to correct them or explain why the fighter they did not pick will win. In my defense I am usually right.

Im sure I annoy them, but they dont tell me so.

I hear ya. But I stopped that after GG CC'd CC.

I usually don't say anything but I'm always thinking to myself "WTF," when someone is in full mount and is easily bumped off because the guy on the bottom punches his face, or just simply because his full mount control is awful

I notice a lot of stupid stuff, but I don't ruin it for other people.

I'm glad others mentioned The Dark Knight Rises. I couldn't take that movie seriously because Batman would just scream and throw wild looping haymakers. None of which even looked powerful or realistic.
Batman is supposed to be trained in the HIGHEST forms of marital arts. All of a sudden, he becomes a non-explosive Melvin Manhoef with a horrible lung-cancer voice.

Well I've always been irritated by the guy just standing there whilst the other guy telegraphs and winds up a spinning hook kick. Or ultimate finishing hay makers that are again, telegraphed.

It's all slapstick comedy and acrobatics as far as I'm concerned. Still enjoy it though.

Why does every fight scene have a mandatory RNC that is escaped by a few elbows to the stomach? I'd have a hard time calling that fight realistic because of that alone.

Watch it again, it was biting deep into his arm that made him let go, he didn't have the choke clean under the neck. And it took a few seconds.

no. i want to see fancy kicks and jackie chan type shit in movies not boring realistic fights.

The worst is when a 90lb chick with no fighting background one punches some dude. Happens in just about every action movie ever made.

The worst is when a 90lb chick with no fighting background one punches some dude. Happens in just about every action movie ever made.

Salt was the worst for this. Angelina Jolie destroying guys twice the size of her.

Haha, it was mentioned in another thread, but there's no way Joe Pesci's tiny ass would ever clown someone in a fight.

I think the fight scenes in The Dark Knight Rises were pretty shitty, and you don't have to have a yellow belt in Karate to notice that. There is basically no martial arts to the fight scenes in that movie, just horrible haymakers. I find this to be a bigger deal when I'm actually watching MMA with friends that don't train. I try to bite my tongue but when it comes to grappling I can't sometimes.

The fight scenes in Nolan's Batman movies are based on the Keysi Fighting Method. While it's not a style I particularly like, it is a legitimate form of Martial Arts.

This is definitely true for me. The scene you were talking about wouldn't have been that bad. I doubt either of them would have much technique. They may be tough, but no real fighting technique. The scenes in The Dark Knight really disappointed me. Both Batman and Bane are supposed to be martial arts experts, but they were both just throwing wild haymakers. It doesn't take much to teach basic boxing. At least teach them basic boxing. That being said, there are some very well choreographed fight scenes even outside of martial arts movies. It really just depends on the who is making the movie. I'm definitely far pickier than I would be if I had no training or knowledge of how fighting is supposed to be for sure.

The fight scenes in Nolan's Batman movies are based on the Keysi Fighting Method. While it's not a style I particularly like, it is a legitimate form of Martial Arts.

I've seen the videos about applying the Keysi Fighting Method to the Dark Knight series. It looks decent in those videos, but it didn't translate to the actors in the most recent movie. I also strongly doubt KFM instructs wild haymakers. They were far too noticeable in that movie.

It only bothers me when an actor who's supposed to have high level military training in that role has a sloppy rnc.

Although, if you want to see one of the worst fight scenes of all time check out the original manchurian candidate with sinatra. Astonishingly bad, to the point of being a comedy scene in a non comedic movie.

Not generally. There are some exceptions though. I watched "The Raid" The other day, and it just seemed like stylized fighting, almost theatrical like pro-wrestling or something, I couldn't take it seriously.

I also wonder if it is super easy to rear naked choke anybody, like Dexter does all the time on his show.

Agreed, I couldn't get behind the hype of the movie. Thought Man from Nowhere was more fun (different genre's, I shouldn't compare), and Ong Bak 1 was very fun to watch the good knee's elbows.

Back