Has there ever been someone knocked out by a jab?

Everybody posting the dominant, aka rear hand, hitting somebody, shouldn’t.

A jab is the guard, lead hand, weight on the lead leg, hand coming out quickly to smack somebody. It’s not a cross or hook.

Edit: you don’t have to put your weight on the lead leg for a jab, a standard jab won’t require this but you ain’t going to KO anybody not named Liddell. There are step, power and pivot jabs which include change of balance - they can fuck your opponent up. Every single jab is however a straight hand with your lead fist and your lead leg forward. Not whacking somebody quickly in a straight line.

Last edited:
What I learn in this thread is that most sherdogger don't know the difference between a jab, a hooker, and a straight.

Yup. I concede. Posted the Silva/Griffen TKO in a rush to get the 1st post. I think of all the suggestions I've seen. Diaz / Lawler has to be the best example. Cerrone / Barbosa decent. But not a close to a KO

Not a KO, but Usman had some nasty jabs against Burns:
UnimportantFailingGossamerwingedbutterfly-size_restricted.gif
Good post, probably the second real jab in this thread.

Yup. I concede. Posted the Silva/Griffen TKO in a rush to get the 1st post. I think of all the suggestions I've seen. Diaz / Lawler has to be the best example. Cerrone / Barbosa decent. But not a close to a KO
Diaz Lawler is a hook like Bader vs Fedor or Seth vs Kimbo, it isn't much of a hooking action but it is there, look at the shoulder and elbow and you can see the hooking action.

Not to derail the thread with arguments of what is or isn't a jab, but Khamzat's 1 punch KO of GM3 deserves a mention:

UntidyDisloyalGharial-size_restricted.gif
I think Cejudo had a similar finish as well, i dont remember against who exactly, but thats a straight punch.

Look at his arm man, it isn't straight. It is a lead hand hook similar to the one Bader landed on Fedor or the one Nick Diaz landed on Lawler.

Look at their elbows. On a jab the elbow doesn't point outwards in the gif you posted his elbow is pointing outwards because he his throwing a hook. Look at the Gus vs Vladimir gif, that is a jab.

His arm isn’t straight because they are both stepping in and it’s a short punch. His arm can’t be straight at that distance. That doesn’t mean it’s a hook. As per my other response, had stipe held his feet youd see it’s a straight punch. It also lands square on the point of his chin. A hook is landing on the side unless you’re at an angle from your opponent, which he wasn’t

Last edited:
That's a right cross KO. They are dime a dozen, even in recent UFC history. O'Malley-Wineland, Usman-Masvidal, Ige-Tucker.
Right cross is a made up word from someone pretending to know what they're watching.

Back