Has There Ever Been a More Dominant #1 and #2 Than Adesanya and Whittaker @185???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their first fight in 2019 was arguably the best matchup of the year. The rematch will arguably be the best matchup this year. Both guys are young, I'm their physical primes still, and besides Anderson Silva, they are arguably the best to ever do it at 185. Both undefeated at 185 outside of their match.

For middleweight I'd say the closest duo might have been Weidman/Rockhold but they both proceeded to continuously get KTFO after their match.

What about other divisions? At 205 I'd say Jones/DC. Maybe Aldo/Mendes at 145???

Like obviously. They aren't that dominant, wtf.

Like I mean you don't have to go back much, Anderson and Rich. Rich was beating everyone but Anderson. Or you could go pick Hendo.

Like obviously. They aren't that dominant, wtf.

Like I mean you don't have to go back much, Anderson and Rich. Rich was beating everyone but Anderson. Or you could go pick Hendo.
In the UFC they have been dominant. They have beaten all of their opponents at 185 before they were matched up. And they also have continued to be undefeated at 185 since they've fought.

The middleweight division wasn't nearly as developed back in the Franklin days. He only needed two wins to get a Silva rematch. But he still had a good run after.

Hendo didn't stay around long enough.

At one point in time, around UFC 120... GSP was #1 at 12-2 in the UFC and Fitch 13-1 in the UFC.... Doubt you can find another 1 2 punch with combined 25-3 record in prime....
Khabib and Tony at the height of the UFC protecting the LW belt from them. So 2016-2018. More than 20-0 combined records in the deepest weight class.

EDIT: 19-0 combined streak in 2017. My bad.

Doesn't usman only have like 2 just masvidal (lol) and burns?? he had more recent wins over the same guys as colby. maia, tyron, rda....
He has 3 in the top 5 (Colby, Burns, Edwards) and 4 in the current top 10 (Masvidal).

I know that I’m aging myself but for a long long time Anderson Silva was the number one and Rich Franklin was the number two and everybody else was back of the pack

Only Jones/DC and Volkanovski/Holloway are comparable. Adesanya had only two close calls (Gastelum and Vettori but I didn't think Vettori was that close), Whittaker had only one (Romero 2). If we look at some of the other mentions:

Jones had a close call with Gus, otherwise he didn't have any for YEARS. DC had a close call with Gus too, and no one else besides Jon who beat him.
Holloway lost when he was green, but once he came into his own he outclassed everyone except for Volk while Volk's only competitive fight was Holloway
Fedor and Nog are up there, but Nog had... a lot of close calls
GSP lost a few times
Cain wasn't active enough, JDS started having close calls after Cain ended him
Colby lost to Alves but I suppose him and Usman are up there too
Cejudo lost to Benavidez, Mighty Mouse had a draw with McCall and two close calls with Dodson and Benavidez

At one point in time, around UFC 120... GSP was #1 at 12-2 in the UFC and Fitch 13-1 in the UFC.... Doubt you can find another 1 2 punch with combined 25-3 record in prime....

JDS and Cain were 20-2 in the UFC going into the third fight with the only losses being to each other.

Doesn't usman only have like 2 just masvidal (lol) and burns?? he had more recent wins over the same guys as colby. maia, tyron, rda....

Usman has wins over the current top 3 and number 7. Immediately after he beat Burns, he had wins over 6 guys in the top ten, and Colby had 2. No comparison in their resumes.

It has to be Jones/DC. Jones never lost and DC only lost to Jones. They all beat everyone else pretty dominantly. DCs only close defense really was Gus, but was still clearly DC in that fight

Rashad vs Lyoto

Both undefeated entering their title bout.

At least in the discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back