Has there ever been a known case of Plaster of Paris in MMA?

Tuf_guy

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Has anyone in MMA ever discussed it as a possibility? (accusations even?)
Of course one of the most famous instances was Antonio Margarito and his people getting busted by Shane Mosley's trainer... and he turned out to not be quite as tough as some thought without it.

But is this even on the radar in the UFC/other MMA orgs? Are opposing corner men allowed to be present while hands are wrapped? It don't recall ever hearing that they're allowed to. Does someone else inspect the wraps with Plaster of Paris being one of the concerns?

I can't imagine that it wouldn't provide an advantage in MMA if it can make a big difference in boxing gloves.

Cmon, someone help me out. Didn't one of Sakubra's opponent's have loaded gloves, left him bloody?

yeah someone from the opposition coner sits in during the wrap

there was that thing with gsp, diaz and shields

Akiyama's right glove vs. Saku raised some discussion: https://www24.atwiki.jp/sweatslip/sp/pages/23.html
That glove did look pretty puffy. I searched for MMA and plaster of paris and nothing came up other than peripheral references to MMA, but mostly talk about Margarito.
That shit mentioned on that linked site was a bit much, glove, slippery, some other shit that slipped my mind...

Only thing a can think of is Jake Shields accusing GSP of having loaded handwraps.

yeah someone from the opposition coner sits in during the wrap

there was that thing with gsp, diaz and shields
Okay, I finally got around to looking this up amd saw that there was a thread about Shields's post on Twitter that involved him basically not saying GSP had loaded gloves, but his gloves might be loaded.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/jake-shields-gsp-gloves-and-wrap-look-shady.2418635/

And the Akiyama/Sakuraba shit which seemed lke cheating, stacked on top of cheating, and some shenanigans mixed in.

And I saw in that thread that an opposing cornerman does get to sit in for the wraps in MMA.

But no other cases? It just seems like somenody would be trying to pull a fast one at some point. Even if not in the UFC, in shows that aren't/weren't quite as big would seem to have a risk of this happening.
But then again, even Margarito was a rarity. So maybe nobody is that much of a cheater (just seems there are a lot of cheaters in MMA which might increase the odds)

It is rumoured that Cain valesquez is made from plaster of Paris.

Has there ever been a known case of Plaster of Paris in MMA?

I don't know, but in the early days, Cheick Congo was known as 'The Plasterer of Paris'

Last edited:
There were rumors that Sokoudjou had loaded gloves against Hamill and another opponent

yes
erik paulson vs James Warring, according to erik

Aw man, that fight brings back memories of when I first got into MMA as an adult (saw some during the tournament days as a kid, but lost touch); I watched everything the Hollywood video had available, including WCC.
Paulson was the first guy to step up with good striking and grappling, imo (he pre-dates F. Shamrock - this was like '95,?). I wish he would've gotten past Warring to fight Renzo.

Wouldn't surprise me if the gloves were loaded, though. Seems like back then they wouldn't care to think of the possibility.
I think even still, without a ponytail to get swung around from, Paulson would've handled dude.

Damn' didn't know this was a thing. Thanks TS.

Akiyama's right glove vs. Saku raised some discussion: https://www24.atwiki.jp/sweatslip/sp/pages/23.html
Lol Akiyama is a bum. As if roids and greasing wasn't enough of an advantage

glove.jpg

viploader389512.jpg

3807.jpg

In the UFC don't Dana's cutmen wrap the hands?

Back