Has there been comebacks after stomps?

Kickwrestler

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Not legal anymore state side for good reason, but used to be Wanderlei's and Shogun's bread n butter back in PRIDE

Can anyone think of any examples of fighters in PRIDE or ONEFC coming back from a head stomp to win?

Or at least recover back to their feet to keep fighting? Seems like an insanely dangerous position to recover from

Loads of them... Stomps actually favour grapplers in a lot of ways - fighters commit their leg and end up in a knee bar...

The old Vale Tudo events had loads of stomp to kneebar/heel hook reversals.

Sakuraba also used to bait opponents unto kicking his head and then grab their leg... Not always successfully but he tried.

Thats actually brilliant.. what might be your favorite example/specific fight where you saw that? Id love to see videos of guys coming back from those

Man, Kazushi's the fuckin man

Wanderlei stomped Hendo's head and couldn't finish him. It went to decision.

Bring back soccer kicks, stomps, and knees to a grounded opponent. Even that last one would greatly reduced LnP and leg-humping.

<209Bitch>

Until stomps and knees to downed opponents are legal I can't tell who the real GOAT is.

Loads of them... Stomps actually favour grapplers in a lot of ways - fighters commit their leg and end up in a knee bar...

Sakuraba also used to bait opponents unto kicking his head and then grab their leg... Not always successfully but he tried.

Didn't do him any favors against Arona mind you , then again Arona was kneeing him rather than stomping him.

not sure if a stomp to the head would generate as much concussive force as we think. if your head is already on the mat/ground, it doesn't really have room to move after the stomp so your brain won't bounce around. i bet a stomp to the liver or solar plexus would really suck. never thought it about that much until now

Didn't Imanari get multiple finishes from guys trying to stomp/soccer kick him?

not sure if a stomp to the head would generate as much concussive force as we think. if your head is already on the mat/ground, it doesn't really have room to move after the stomp so your brain won't bounce around. i bet a stomp to the liver or solar plexus would really suck. never thought it about that much until now

lol, that's not how it works, the less the head moves while getting struck the more the brain moves within the skull.

That's why they say roll with the punches casue it reduces the chance your brain will bounce off the inside of your skull.

if your head is already on the mat/ground, it doesn't really have room to move after the stomp so your brain won't bounce around

At first I LOL'd and I really wanted to disagree with you, but the more I think about it the more I think it makes sense.

lol, that's not how it works, the less the head moves while getting struck the more the brain moves within the skull.

That's why they say roll with the punches.
I think he has a point. There's no acceleration involved, so there's no reason for the brain to move in the first place. When you're punched and the neck is loose, the head moves and the brain stays put until pushed by the fluid/skull. When the neck stops moving the brain bounces again.

But if the head is stationary, there's no acceleration and the masses stay at rest. The force of the blow would travel through the head to the mat, like a cueball in pool. Newtonian Physics and all.

It would cause more damage to skin, muscle and bone tissue, but I think he may actually be onto something with the concussive aspect.

I think he has a point. There's no acceleration involved, so there's no reason for the brain to move in the first place.

It would cause more damage to skin, muscle and bone tissue, but I think he may actually be onto something with the concussive aspect.

There is accelleration involved, all the force from the punch goes into the head and the skull is stationary while the brain is floating around inside it. Think of it like a car accident. In old cars that don't have cumple zones(rolling with it) the people inside get thrown around way more, same thing here only the car is your skull. The Skull has no chance to decellerate so the brain takes more of the force.

There is accelleration involved, all the force from the punch goes into the head and the skull is stationary while the brain is floating around inside it. Think of it like a car accident. In old cars that don't have cumple zones the people inside get thrown around way more, same thing here only the car is your skull.

I edited my post a bit. Not really sure what to think. Logic tells me that it's worse, but I have trouble wrapping the physics around how.

Edit: In a car there's clear acceleration / deceleration from a speed. Not the same thing going on here. Your example would make sense if my skull was moving, the brain inside a skull being the passenger inside a car. But my skull isn't moving.

I edited my post a bit. Not really sure what to think. Logic tells me that it's worse, but I have trouble wrapping the physics around how.

Edit: In a car there's clear acceleration / deceleration from a speed. Not the same thing going on here.

Watch old car crash tests before cumple zones and watch them after. It is the same thing going on here, it's just the force is hitting the car(skull) rather than the other way round, in the car example the car decelerates on impact, while the fist/foot/knee is what decelerates on impact.

The cars with cumple zones would be akin to being able to roll with a shot where as cars without them would be like taking a strike when your head is trapped.

Back