Has the UFC ever changed a PPV to free TV...

mb23100

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
.... due to canceled bouts? I know they have straight canceled them before. I seem to remember this happening.

Yes they might have maybe done that that one time I think but don't know

don’t be a goof
dana-white-twitter.jpg

Yes they have actually put a card free on Spike I believe in the afternoon when it was overseas a few times and they have cancelled a few ppv's too.

Just look it up on Wikipedia. You can go through all the history of their events there.

Theyve dont numbered ufcs on tv right?

Ufc 105/106 I think one was on free tv, but it was meant for tv

I forget what the main event was post to be but i remember Hendricks vs Thompson headlined a card that was post to be a ppv. I believe the first Diaz vs Mcgregor fight was originally post to be a free card somewhere in Germany until they added Holly/Misha and Nate/Conor to it and moved it to Vegas and put a number on it.

UFC 89, 95, 105, 120, 122, and 138 were all on Spike. I recall at least one being originally planned as a PPV but don't remember which.

Last time i can remember of something like that potentially happening with the event not cancelled they slapped a belt on the co-main, and still called it a PPV, UFC 206 Pettis vs Holloway.

Hendricks vs. Thompson card was supposed to be ufc 196, Cain pulled out against Werdum so it became a fight night.

Hendricks vs. Thompson card was supposed to be ufc 196, Cain pulled out against Werdum so it became a fight night.

Yup. Further details—

Stipe was brought in as the substitute for Cain, but a day later Werdum pulled out as well citing injury. There was briefly a flurry as fighters tweetlobbied to become Werdum's substitute...like Jones, who said he'd do it IF the fight was for the "real title". But that was a step too far for the UFC brass.

When Werdum finally went through with Stipe being his opponent for a title shot a few months later, the UFC put it on what was meant to be a Fight Night card and made it into a PPV....and so the balance of their pocketbook was restored.

Last time i can remember of something like that potentially happening with the event not cancelled they slapped a belt on the co-main, and still called it a PPV, UFC 206 Pettis vs Holloway.

Not only that, but in order to make Pettis vs. Holloway a interim bout, they had to over night strip Conor of his belt, and promote Aldo from Interim Champ to Undisputed champion.

Not only that, but in order to make Pettis vs. Holloway a interim bout, they had to over night strip Conor of his belt, and promote Aldo from Interim Champ to Undisputed champion.
Yup, i forgot to mention all of that, they went a long way to keep it as a PPV.

I think once when Bones Vs Hendo fell through, Chael the pride of Oregon Sonnen stepped in and Bones needed more time

I think Randy Couture vs. Brandon Vera. Good thing, too, because that main event sucked donkey balls

UFC 151 was planned as a PPV and when this fight fell off...they just cancelled the whole Event. lol

Yup. Further details—

Stipe was brought in as the substitute for Cain, but a day later Werdum pulled out as well citing injury. There was briefly a flurry as fighters tweetlobbied to become Werdum's substitute...like Jones, who said he'd do it IF the fight was for the "real title". But that was a step too far for the UFC brass.

When Werdum finally went through with Stipe being his opponent for a title shot a few months later, the UFC put it on what was meant to be a Fight Night card and made it into a PPV....and so the balance of their pocketbook was restored.

Jones lol....Dude wouldn't fight Chael on 8 days notice to save UFC 152...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back