Crime Has the IRA been reborn?

Phr3121

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To my British friends across the pond. What's up with the most recent Northern Ireland car bomb attack? Is there a rebirth of the IRA (Irish Republican Army)?

"Irish Republican Army dissidents are suspected of being behind a car bomb outside a courthouse in the Northern Ireland city of Londonderry late Saturday in an attack authorities called 'incredibly reckless'."

"Northern Ireland's power-sharing government has been suspended for two years because of a dispute between the main Protestant and Catholic political parties. Uncertainty about the future of the Irish border after Brexit is adding to tensions."

Religious wars/conflicts. This is a little like the Israelis and the Palestinians...

Story: https://www.foxnews.com/world/north...ly-reckless-ira-dissidents-suspected-in-blast

Last edited:
I'm not too familiar with the conflict in Ireland, but from my superficial knowledge it seems ridiculous that it boils down to "you worship the same god as me, but in a slightly different way, so we have to kill you."

I assume the state is involved with the church which is an issue and this seems like a good example of why you don't mix religion and government.

If it weren't for the IRA and the violence they caused, Catholics would still not be able to vote, hold jobs in government, and would still be very much second class citizens that the British Protestants lorded over them for centuries. The British refused to make changes to the laws until the violence got so bad that the rest of the world started to see the British as the cause of the violence. This will never be settled until the British get out and their support for one side over the other is stated politically and demonstrated. With the British and their troubles with the "new deal", I believe we will see more of this in the future.

The large IRA has not restarted their activities.
Irish resistance was always divided into many rival factions. the original IRA was just the largest.
A few of them never agreed to the peace.
Back in 2012 a few of the minor groups joined together as "New IRA". They have mostly kept their activities to drugdealers and criminals, acting vigilantes, but they have been very clear that they have not given up their war.

Thankfully, they are tiny, and barely a shadow of what the former IRA was. Estimation of numbers of members is in the 300 range, where the old IRA was estimated around 8000 at its lowest with peaks of up to 30000.

Now if the peace agreement is broken due to border controlls going up between north and south -as there will in a hard brexit. then things may get interesting.

Most Americans don't know much about European history. They know nothing about the War of 1812. A few know what side won the Revolutionary War and the American Civil War. Sad...

The large IRA has not restarted their activities.
Irish resistance was always divided into many rival factions. the original IRA was just the largest.
A few of them never agreed to the peace.
Back in 2012 a few of the minor groups joined together as "New IRA". They have mostly kept their activities to drugdealers and criminals, acting vigilantes, but they have been very clear that they have not given up their war.

Thankfully, they are tiny, and barely a shadow of what the former IRA was. Estimation of numbers of members is in the 300 range, where the old IRA was estimated around 8000 at its lowest with peaks of up to 30000.

Now if the peace agreement is broken due to border controlls going up between north and south -as there will in a hard brexit. then things may get interesting.

@Phr3121 this pretty much covers things for the most part. My first tour was in Northern Ireland. My concern for the matter is now that I have no interest. So many fucked up things happened historically, politically and militarily that the whole thing on both sides disgusts me and I have distanced myself completely from the place and the politics.

It did teach me very early in my career however that there is no real 'good' side

Last edited:
Thought this was a thread about saving for retirement.

giphy.gif

Well, if they start to bring mortars and RPGs into the picture, things are bound to get very ugly very fast.

Most Americans don't know much about European history. They know nothing about the War of 1812. A few know what side won the Revolutionary War and the American Civil War. Sad...

And who saved who in WW1 and WW2 !!!!

undefeated back to back world war champs!!

Well, instead of taking the opportunity to talk shit, why not drop some gems related to the issue of this thread.

Don't be a condescending asshat, be an educator.

Just send them some Proper Twelve Irish Whiskey, should settle things down

@Phr3121 this pretty much covers things for the most part.

"Northern Ireland's power-sharing government has been suspended for two years because of a dispute between the main Protestant and Catholic political parties."

So, is that like a U.S. government shutdown for 2 years? How exactly is the government running things in Northern Ireland?

...and Northern Ireland is an independent country from the Republic of Ireland correct? It is part of the United Kingdom.

"Northern Ireland's power-sharing government has been suspended for two years because of a dispute between the main Protestant and Catholic political parties."

So, is that like a U.S. government shutdown for 2 years? How exactly is the government running things in Northern Ireland?

...and Northern Ireland is an independent country from the Republic of Ireland correct? It is part of the United Kingdom.

Ok so:

1. There are no 'Catholic' or 'Protestant' political parties...there are parties that a majority of the supporters are Catholic/Protestant for historical reasons. There are Protestant people who support a united Ireland and Catholics who prefer British rule- they all just happen to be in a minority.

2. The power sharing government was created so that both main political sides- pro-Irish unification and pro-British could both have fair say on how the country is ran. This in theory would help alleviate persecution on both sides.

3.In the event of a 'shutdown' things simply get ran from the home of British government- Westminster.

4. Yes Northern Ireland is its own country separate from the Republic of Ireland.

The Irish have been shit on hard by the Brits from the very early days upto the Potato famines of the 1850s where they were starved by the Queen. And as @Phr3121 stated even been repressed from voting I am not even aware of that I thought that in the 20th century they were atleast given equal rights.

If am not mistaken the movie Michael Collins is about the conflict as well I always stand for the equal rights of minorities maybe they are Muslim,Catholic,Atheist or the LGBs but I dont agree with wreckless terrorist acts like blowing up a car or kidnaping.

Back