Has Stipe Already Peaked at HW?

Stipe has not peaked yet. He only has a dozen pro fights, and still doesn't really train full time, which is something that I think would benefit his development. He has some good tools to work with. Good boxing, throws nice combos and will mix up strikes. Good wrestling, as he has been successful on almost all of his attempts. Good ground and pound, showing some brutal stuff on top and in the clinch with knees and elbows. Good cardio and has shown a good chin so far.

Notice which word I keep using to describe him, "good". And that is how I think his UFC career may go (with him being in the top ten consistently, but not able to get through the elite). I just don't think he is great at anything, like for example Werdum, who could potentially sub anyone in the world, or JDS where all he has to land is one right shot. I still think Stipe can give many top guys trouble because of how well rounded he is, even above average in some areas. But the fact that he doesn't have the ko power or big time finish ability to beat guys like Cain and JDS, because they do and are elite in other areas, may keep him away from a potential title fight.

Stipe will have to rely more on out pointing and winning decisions when facing the beasts of the division. Which is fine, and I think he can have success fighting that way, as long as he tightens up his striking defense and head movement. The JDS fight was a big opportunity for Stipe, but I'm glad he is getting a step down fight against Maldanodo. This fight is a chance work on some of his flaws like his striking defense and not keeping his hands down, against a smaller guy, but a tough guy with good boxing skills and speed. Stipe needs to dismantle this guy as a confidence and a momentum booster to take into his next fight. I really hope he can make a run, as a big fan of Stipe, and just wanting to see fresh challengers.

Stipe is the true darkhorse

Id favor him against everyone except jds cain and reem. Hes got skillz

Yes, I'm pretty sure Roy will go down as his best win.

JDS' soul is gone. This was the first time he pulled out of a fight.

Miocic might never get a title shot, this is HW so anything can happen,

Has he already peaked?
Absolutely not!
He's completely over-rated for beating Roy Nelson (who is a top guy, but is very beatable) & he also was finished by Struve just under 2 years ago.
His last win was also a very boring decision over Gonzaga, so what?
The guy has a long way to go before he wins me over as being a true contender.
Although your top 15 listing does not accurately reflect the official Sherdog listing, Miocic being ranked ahead of Mark Hunt & Frank Mir is absolutely ridiculous, as those 2 have only lost against top of the ladder guys that would absolutely push Miocic's shit in!
My views toward Miocic still wont change even if he manages to KO Maldonado.

I can't see him beating anyone above him. His striking isn't good enough for Overeem, and his wrestling would fail against Barnett.

I'd like to see him fight Brendan Schaub. Both have solid wrestling and striking.

He gets way too much shit for losing to SS. Styles make fights, and fighting someone who's that tall can be really awkward.

I think he very well could get to a crack at title by the end of the year, or early 2015.

The only person I think probably beats him for sure right now is Cain. After that, his pace/speed/power/physical strength is too much for everyone on the list except maybe JDS.

No, he can be champ IMO, has all the tools. Size, wrestling, boxing it's all there.

He can probably KO Overeem and possibly Bigfoot. And he can definitely outwork Barnett, Werdum and Browne.

Him & Struve are on the same level.

With the laughable striking he displayed against a completely gassed out Gonzaga, I would not give him a chance to beat any of them except maybe Bigfoot. JDS and Overeem both have better boxing.

With the striking he displayed against Gonzaga, I would not give him a chance to beat any of them except maybe Bigfoot.

I get where you are coming from as I was very frustrated watching the beginning of that fight however what most people forget is that Gonzaga refused to open up with anything except his left hook and a leg kick. Every time Stipe would move forward he would literally cover his entire face with both his arms for multiple seconds. It was like Gonzaga had only two moves and was playing it very safe.

I really think Stipe lost a huge opportunity when Junior dropped out of the fight. I think he would have beat Junior and got a title shot at Cain.

Almost no one shares my opinion but I just had a feeling about that fight. I think Junior dodged a bullet.

Junior dodged a bullet? Are you crazy? If Stipe fought Junior, all chances of a future title shot for him would have been gone because Junior would have ended any chances of that.

Let's see if he can make it past Fabio before speculating about his future :p

Back