Has Khabib EVER been in trouble in a single fight?

BJ Penn could, better, for years. Not even close.

BJ would have murdered Conor. It would have been an execution.
Bj could take them as well as a welterweight version of Nate?

Huge bj fan but It seems highly unlikely. weight matters

Prime bj murks Colin tho

I'm an old school guy too, but sometimes we romanticize our old favorites a bit too much. BJ did have a granite chin at LW, no question. His bjj was obviously terrific, how he got his nickname, etc. for winning the Mundials after so little training. His TDD was stellar for sure, but his offensive wrestling really was extremely average (if that). His boxing was very good too, among the best in the sport in his prime. But he had zero kicking game, wasn't even a threat with it. He did find a variety of ways to counter really good wrestlers (the flying knee to Sherk as Sherk tried to level change was a thing of beauty).

But...

Conor manipulates distance so much better than anyone BJ ever fought. He combines precision and power better too (Machida maybe being the one guy you'd compare). Conor also has a granite chin. I'd give prime BJ the cardio edge though.

Prime BJ vs Prime Conor at LW would be stylistically one of the more fun hypothetical fights to make. I just think it's over-the-top to say prime BJ "murders" Conor.

The current LW division is just insanely good though. Unbelievably good. Conor is probably the 3rd best LW in the world right now imo. I think he loses to Khabib, but I think Ferguson is actually the best LW on the planet. Plus you have Poirier, Gaethje, Alvarez, etc. AND the younger guys like Gillespie coming on to the scene. If you rule the LW division in this era, you are special.

I've been a part of Penn discussions for a very long time and I've never romanticized his skills. Back in the year leading up to BJ/GSP 2, anyone who was there for what I had to say will tell you as much.

His "extremely average" wrestling gave a HUGE Fitch problems, he took Fitch down several times. You're telling me Conor's distance management makes him harder to take down than Fitch? Or that while Siver and Diaz took him down, Penn couldn't?

I was being purposefully hyperbolic talking about what Penn would do to Conor, but I honestly and sincerely believe that fight would have been Penn's to lose, and am surprised anyone sees it otherwise.

I'm just going to add that while BJ only ever threw one kick in his career, he ended a fight with it, just as he only ever once threw a flying knee to the same result.

I've been a part of Penn discussions for a very long time and I've never romanticized his skills. Back in the year leading up to BJ/GSP 2, anyone who was there for what I had to say will tell you as much.

His "extremely average" wrestling gave a HUGE Fitch problems, he took Fitch down several times. You're telling me Conor's distance management makes him harder to take down than Fitch? Or that while Siver and Diaz took him down, Penn couldn't?

I was being purposefully hyperbolic talking about what Penn would do to Conor, but I honestly and sincerely believe that fight would have been Penn's to lose, and am surprised anyone sees it otherwise.

I'm just going to add that while BJ only ever threw one kick in his career, he ended a fight with it, just as he only ever once threw a flying knee to the same result.

I was here, check my join date. Trust me I remember. I mostly post in the MMA betting sub-forum now that we have it, but back then I was in the Heavies a lot.

In its totality, BJ's offensive wrestling was average. Yes, a few times during his career he hit TD's but overall it just wasn't a significant part of his game. I guess maybe it's more fair to state it that way. Maybe his wrestling was "underrated" as you put it, but he rarely used it so acting like that's a factor to give a lot of consideration to is misguided. Sure, maybe BJ would go into a fight with Conor having the mindset to take him down. But that really wasn't part of BJ's "just scrap" mentality back then. Dude liked to box, to throw hands. I just don't believe he'd turn into Khabib because he was fighting a dangerous striker. If anything he'd want to prove he was better standing.

Hyperbole is understandable, totally fair. I have no issues favoring a prime BJ either. But Conor would present problems for him.

I was here, check my join date. Trust me I remember. I mostly post in the MMA betting sub-forum now that we have it, but back then I was in the Heavies a lot.

In its totality, BJ's offensive wrestling was average. Yes, a few times during his career he hit TD's but overall it just wasn't a significant part of his game. I guess maybe it's more fair to state it that way. Maybe his wrestling was "underrated" as you put it, but he rarely used it so acting like that's a factor to give a lot of consideration to is misguided. Sure, maybe BJ would go into a fight with Conor having the mindset to take him down. But that really wasn't part of BJ's "just scrap" mentality back then. Dude liked to box, to throw hands. I just don't believe he'd turn into Khabib because he was fighting a dangerous striker. If anything he'd want to prove he was better standing.

Hyperbole is understandable, totally fair. I have no issues favoring a prime BJ either. But Conor would present problems for him.

I didn't have to check your join date, I'm familiar with your name. I just don't remember if you were in any of the BJ GSP mega threads.

For purposes of this discussion, assume he knows Conor is only a threat standing, and wants to win this fight. Assume he's going to use the same game plan he used on Fitch.

In order to give Conor any chance to win this fight it's necessary to assume BJ'd be willing to ignore skills he definitely possesses and only fight Conor's game. We've seen BJ decide to grapple and what he's shown us is much, much better than what Conor can deal with. How can anyone who's seen the Fitch fight doubt he can get the take down, or seen the Machida fight and think Conor would dominate standing? Conor complained that Nate was three times his size and a lot of his fans have talked about how big Nate was. Lyoto is a hell of a lot bigger and a hell of a lot more skilled, by this point he'd already stopped Franklin, Bonnar and McDonald. BJ took him to a decision.

I didn't have to check your join date, I'm familiar with your name. I just don't remember if you were in any of the BJ GSP mega threads.

For purposes of this discussion, assume he knows Conor is only a threat standing, and wants to win this fight. Assume he's going to use the same game plan he used on Fitch.

In order to give Conor any chance to win this fight it's necessary to assume BJ'd be willing to ignore skills he definitely possesses and only fight Conor's game. We've seen BJ decide to grapple and what he's shown us is much, much better than what Conor can deal with. How can anyone who's seen the Fitch fight doubt he can get the take down, or seen the Machida fight and think Conor would dominate standing? Conor complained that Nate was three times his size and a lot of his fans have talked about how big Nate was. Lyoto is a hell of a lot bigger and a hell of a lot more skilled, by this point he'd already stopped Franklin, Bonnar and McDonald. BJ took him to a decision.

Yeah I was in those threads. I picked GSP but didn't think he'd stop BJ, figured he'd control him and outpoint him for the win.

Fitch was (is...I guess, but talking about his prime) a good offensive wrestler, but when he was forced to defend grappling never showed (that I can remember) very good defensive grappling. BJ taking it to him that way I guess was a mild surprise though. I'd need to rewatch that fight too.

I don't think Conor dominates BJ standing. I think his more diverse array of strikes and better timing probably give him an edge early in the fight with both guys fresh though. But...I like BJ's gas tank back then better, plus the chance he would decide to grapple would have me putting BJ as the favorite. I just wouldn't make him a big favorite at LW. I agree he has more ways to win, but I think there's a reasonable chance he'd have a hard time dealing with Conor's distance management.

If any one of you Kaboobs thinks Khabib wouldn't have "trouble"...or simply get his ass kicked...by Nate Diaz, you are even more delusional than than I though.

Lmao @ the idea of Nate "no TDD" Diaz beating Khabib.

If ignorance is bliss you must be one happy individual, so congrats for that I suppose.

People are pushing this idea that he was rocked against michael johnson, its so retarded. Its like, he actually got hit for once? Ate it like tictacs. People are so stupid

Lmao the desperate attempt by Conor fans to convince thenselves that Conor has a chance is hilarious.

Tiramisu KO’d him hard - Bisping on Rockhold style. Khabib’s reputation has never recovered from that one-sided and wholly unexpected annihilation by a tasty dessert.

The weigh-in scale beat him by submission more than once, as well.

People will be shocked at how easily Khabib walks though a McGregor punch or two and then eats him alive.

This fight is Barboza 2.

ur a moron lol . they are fighting the same competition in the top 5, tony already lost to mj, lee lost to yaquinta. yet Khabib went through both those guys and he did it with ease.
you still haven't mentioned a good fighter in the top 5 except tony.

and going the distance isn't winning the fight easily

it means a solid 15-25 mins of dry humping kabbob style

Dry hump? None of them. I know there's this false narrative that all wrestlers just dry hump like they're Jake Shields or Dennis Hallman, but Khabib mauls his opponents. Go watch the beating he put on Barboza, MJ, or Trujillo and tell me that those fighters just got humped. Watch the systematic way he broke down Trujillo and just made him look like he didn't want to be there anymore.

You can like Conor, Tony, Kevin Lee, etc. and still respect Khabib's skill. Hell, I don't particularly care for any of them and I can give them their due. Troll less, think more.
I used to like kabob.

but then he missed a fight

then another. and another don't happen

then I watched him fight a couple of unqualified opponents.

and he sure the fuck didn't finish them.

he didn't make raging al quit. actually al was looking good in the later rounds

but he kept getting taken down and DRY HUMPED. no action. no sense of urgency no trying to finish

nothing. just boring spamming takedowns like matt lindland.

I used to hate connor. wanted to see him exposed.

but guess what. he put his money where his mouth is.

he proved himself. beat champions. convincingly. that's more than anyone can say about your sheep lover.

The problem is he walks straight back and looks uncomfortable. Keep in mind that's MJ plodding forward and throwing wild looping punches, not Conor sliding forward throwing lefts down the pipe. People sleeping on Conor's footwork hard, watch the Holloway fight and you'll see how much distance he covers, it's crazy.

I think it just shows us khabib isn't gonna pressure through Conor's strikes for the TD like people are saying. The one time he got hit clean, he's backing straight up. No slipping, no duck unders, no counters, no lateral movement, just trying to back up quicker then his opponent can come forward.

Sometimes it's a bad thing spending a career not getting hit.

He took one step back after one of Johnson's follow up punches hooked khabib's left hand and pulled khabib off balance. After that one step back to regain his footing, khabib starts circling to the left (his right)

Khabib has indeed faced only one top 5 guy in his career. Edson Barboza who can only kick.. Edson can't punch or fight backwards. Conor sleeps Khabib.
and rating Edson at no. 5 is a stretch in my opinion. raging al could probly take him out

I used to like kabob.

but then he missed a fight

then another. and another don't happen

then I watched him fight a couple of unqualified opponents.

and he sure the fuck didn't finish them.

he didn't make raging al quit. actually al was looking good in the later rounds

but he kept getting taken down and DRY HUMPED. no action. no sense of urgency no trying to finish

nothing. just boring spamming takedowns like matt lindland.

I used to hate connor. wanted to see him exposed.

but guess what. he put his money where his mouth is.

he proved himself. beat champions. convincingly. that's more than anyone can say about your sheep lover.
Ah. So you're a troll spewing the same rhetoric as every other troll.

There was a point in the MJ fight were he was getting getting punched in the face a number of times, then he started for TDs, down hill for MJ at that point but I did see him get hurt.

He took one step back after one of Johnson's follow up punches hooked khabib's left hand and pulled khabib off balance. After that one step back to regain his footing, khabib starts circling to the left (his right)
Idk what fight you were watching lol. Imagine Conor in that position, not wild swinging MJ. Still doesnt change the fact that khabin doesnt push through and trade or go for a td off getting hit like people are saying he will do vs Conor. "Pressure through, take a couple shots, and get mctap to the floor"

Idk what fight you were watching lol. Imagine Conor in that position, not wild swinging MJ. Still doesnt change the fact that khabin doesnt push through and trade or go for a td off getting hit like people are saying he will do vs Conor. "Pressure through, take a couple shots, and get mctap to the floor"

What did I say that was wrong? Johnson's right hook landed, his left then punched and hooked khabib's right hand which pulled khabib and made khabib lose his footing, then khabib dodged the follow up shots, backed up and started circling. He was fine and did well.

Why would I imagine Conor? This is a thread asking about whether or not khabib has been in trouble. If you want to imagine Conor, then look at khabib's right hand glued to his head protecting himself from the left.

Back