Has Greg Jackson solidified himself as the best coach ever in MMA?

yookfarb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
If there was any doubt that Jon Jones was the #1 p4p fighter, I think it was pretty much extinguished after the Cormier fight. As great as Aldo might be, he simply doesn't match up to Jones dominance nor his accomplishments.

And the fact of the matter is that Jones is much more than a freak athlete with a really long reach, he is also a master of strategy, fight IQ, and is without a doubt the most creative and versatile fighter in UFC history. His coach certainly deserves a lot of credit for that.

So I'd like to dedicate this thread to Greg and point out his most impressive accomplishments...

gsp-and-jones-500x488.jpg

Has coached and cornered the two greatest fighters in MMA history that speak English(fluently)

John_Dodson__vs_Brandon_Merkt.gif

Currently has 17 fighters signed with the UFC according to wikipedia

michelle-waterson.jpg

Works with a wide variety of fighters and has been able to produce elite fighters regardless of size, age, reach, gender, or martial arts background.

107245203_crop_650x440.jpg

Has already acquired fame, money/financial stability, respect, notoriety, haters, etc. over the course of decades of coaching and shows no signs of slowing down

So we have COATs? Wait, that's not it. Would it be GCOATs?

Also, why does it matter that he's taught great fighters that are fluent in English?

I thought this was already established.

He's a great coach but Jones was going to be the best no matter what camp he went with. Thats why Greg Jackson told Rashad to go pound sand.

Jon Jones credits Mike Winkeljohn more for his success.

He's a great coach but Jones was going to be the best no matter what camp he went with. Thats why Greg Jackson told Rashad to go pound sand.

lol'd

It's because Jones is the only A-level athlete in the UFC.

I highly doubt it. Jones was made to be champion no matter what camp he is in.

It's hard for me to say because jackson-winklejohn is almost unique in that they add the finishing touches to already grwat fighters in many cases. Many of his guys train fulltime elsewhere and come in for the camps and finishing touches.

Some other trainers have a good record for taking raw fighters and bringing them to the top.

Just a perspective I have.

Definitely an impressive man. His corner work is second to none in my opinion.

I highly doubt it. Jones was made to be champion no matter what camp he is in.

This

You can tell in the Bonnar fight before he ever met Greg Jackson that he was going to be special. This was when he was training on his own and watching DVDs.

Any top gym could have made Jon Champion.

The Jackson camp has always been far and away better than any other.

On a separate note, how embarrassed do you think everbody at Team Quest that Alexis wore that shirt with a huge emblem repping them as she is looking completely helpless
marionreneauufc182jonesvcormierwjyklgzfdeil.jpg

I think we saw the best GSP while he was the main guy in GSP's corner.

I definitely think he's the best communicator for his fighters between rounds.

Calm your guy down and tell him one or two easy things to remember.

I love when a guy is huffing and puffing, jacked up on adrenaline and coach is yelling a playbook to him excepting for a fighter to retain any of that in 1 minute.

He can make world champions just by telling them to breathe. That's pretty impressive.

Jon Jones credits Mike Winkeljohn more for his success.

I was going to say this but didn't want to google a source.

GSP leans more on Firas.

Greg knows his role too, he puts the bow on everything. The final touches. He leaves the fine details to better people. I'm pretty sure Greg has been quoted saying something similar.

It's nice to Greg getting respect on this site. All he had to do was coach a black guy.. (Did I do that right?)

He seems like a great human being (outside of his handling of Rashad), but I think his strategies, more than anyone else by miles and miles, has hurt the entertainment value of the sport. His guys win, but a lot of times you stop caring or wanting to watch the fights while they are occurring.

Dana called him a "sport killer," which I don't think is fair, as Zuffa has done a lot of things to kill a lot of peoples' interest in the UFC, but a lot of the problems fans have with the sport can be attributed to Jackson's strategies, and his imitators. Jackson wants his guys to win, no matter how ugly and boring it may be to most fans, and for his guys not suffer from CTE later in life, and I get that (and can't really blame him), but I am just not as interested in his version of MMA as I was in the sport before he got involved at the highest levels.

Firas zahabi is GSP's coach, i think GSP only uses jackson as a cornerman/strategist, but Firas is his main coach.

It depends really. some athletes were going to be great no matter what. Tbh Diego Sanchez was the one who put his gym on the map, and he hasnt really taught Diego to become any better throughout the years.

Back