Has Europe become Nietzche's Last Man (Letzter Mensch)

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
come on a little help here guys. @Trotsky @Ruprecht @Kafir-kun

So I know this is very similar in theme to my last thread on Denmark but I wanted to have a discussion on Nietzsche to the extent possible as i had a thought about there being parallels between modern Europe and Nietzsche's theory of the Last Man. Is this analogy appropriate?

It seems at first blush so. The modern European has stopped the pursuit of suffering as a means to overcome ones humanity and achieve greatness. All he seeks is comfort and that is the source of the lack of nationalism, declining birthrates etc. Note if you read this Kafir this in no way contradicts my supposition about capitalism. Europe's current iteration of political economy might be what's bringing forth this condition but that ultimately is analytically distinct form this issue. Its been a long time since I read philosophy so i could be wrong but this is the wikipdia on the last man. Don't you guys see the parallels to modern Europe? If not how am I wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_man
The last man (German: Letzter Mensch) is a term used by the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche in Thus Spoke Zarathustra to describe the antithesis of his theorized superior being, the Übermensch, whose imminent appearance is heralded by Zarathustra. The last man is tired of life, takes no risks, and seeks only comfort and security.

The last man's first appearance is in "Zarathustra's Prologue." According to Nietzsche, the last man is the goal that modern society and Western civilization have apparently set for themselves. After having unsuccessfully attempted to get the populace to accept the Übermensch as the goal of society, Zarathustra confronts them with a goal so disgusting that he assumes that it will revolt them.[1] Zarathustra fails in this attempt, and instead of repelling and manipulating the populace into pursuing the goal of the Übermensch, the populace take Zarathustra literally and choose the "disgusting" goal of becoming the last men. This decision leaves Zarathustra disheartened and disappointed.

The lives of the last men are pacifist and comfortable. There is no longer a distinction between ruler and ruled, strong over weak or supreme over the mediocre. Social conflict and challenges are minimized. Every individual lives equally and in "superficial" harmony. There are no original or flourishing social trends and ideas. Individuality and creativity are suppressed.

Nietzsche warned that the society of the last man could be too barren and decadent to support the growth of healthy human life or great individuals. The last man is only possible by mankind having bred an apathetic person or ethnic group who are unable to dream, who are unwilling to take risks, and simply earn their living and keep warm. The society of the last man is antithetical to Nietzsche's theoretical will to power, the main driving force and ambition behind human nature, according to Nietzsche, as well as all other life in the universe.

The last man, Nietzsche predicted, would be one response to the problem of nihilism. But the full implications of the death of God had yet to unfold: "The event itself is far too great, too distant, too remote from the multitude's capacity for comprehension even for the tidings of it to be thought of as having arrived as yet."[2]

Last edited:
Back