Has Dustin surpassed Tony in the all time lightweight rankings?

He's not in the greatest of all time lightweight convo, wtf.

He got dominated by Khabib. Let's see if he beats Oliveira before talking crazy. If Oliveira can avoid getting tagged and finished early, I got Oliveira.

How is he not?

Khabib
Penn
Dustin or Gomi

Dont see anyways hes under 4th and tbh hes got better wins than Bj. Hes just not as talented.

Dustin has 7 wins in fights with guys who have held ufc titles (Inc max X2 and conor X2 admittedly), he is lightyears ahead

This is exactly what I was thinking. Not sure why tony would be in that conversation. He had a nice long win streak but it wasn't against exactly the best competition.
Yeah exactly. Great win streak, some decent names, but overall his resume just isn’t good enough to put him in the conversation for LW all time greats. I have Dustin somewhere in the top 5.

Yeah exactly. Great win streak, some decent names, but overall his resume just isn’t good enough to put him in the conversation for LW all time greats. I have Dustin somewhere in the top 5.

Cody McKenzie: 13 first round finishes in a row! Still does not make him great.

No. No one is forgetting that. That’s the only thing that even keeps Khabib in the conversation because if we consider the quality of opponents and number of them, I’m not even sure if I can put him above Israel Adesanya. This is why it’s ironic that you mention that the lightweight division is the most stacked division because Khabib missed out on a lot of opponents. Am I saying, they would beat them? No. But beating them and not facing them are two different things and I have to mention it because people forget that often times. Even if I factor in the pure dominance of Khabib’s wins, I don’t find them more impressive than beating Gastelum, Whittaker, Romero and Costa. You can talk about Izzy’s loss to Jan but then again Khabib never had the balls to challenge Usman.
Khabib and Usman are friends, and there is no rule book that says fighters have to go up in weight. Claiming a UFC champ doesn’t have balls because they don’t go up is an extremely childish outlook on the sport.

The reality is that Khabib has the highest number of title defenses in LW history. Which is quite an accomplishment because there isn’t a single soft touch in that division. So in real terms Khabib has literally accomplished more than any other LW ever, therefore it isn’t just his dominance that keeps him in the conversation it’s his resume, accomplishments, and quality of opposition as well. The idea that he doesn’t have a lot of accomplishments is pure fantasy. You’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you really believe he doesn’t have a stellar resume. He absolutely does.

Last edited:
Khabib and Usman are friends, and there is no rule book that says fighters have to go up in weight. Claiming a UFC champ doesn’t have balls because they don’t go up is an extremely childish outlook on the sport.

The reality is that Khabib has the highest number of title defenses in LW history. Which is quite an accomplishment because there isn’t a single soft touch in that division. So in real terms Khabib has literally accomplished more than any other LW ever, therefore it isn’t just his dominance that keeps him in the conversation it’s his resume, accomplishments, and quality of opposition as well. The idea that he doesn’t have a lot of accomplishments is pure fantasy. You’re living in cloud cuckoo land if you really believe he doesn’t have a stellar resume. He absolutely does.
Naively believing that friendship is the only thing preventing a champion to challenge another champion in the weight class above is childish. Also, I never said there was a rule book, I was pointing out that the only flaw in Adesanya's record derives from challenging a champion belonging to the weight class above so that you wouldn't discredit his record just because of that loss.

What you are saying is because Khabib has the highest number of title defences in LW history, that makes him the greatest fighter ever? Not only is that a flawed argument, it's quite lazy because Khabib has had so little title defences overall that we can actually get specific about the quality of opponents. If that's your rule book, Stipe Miocic should be ranked even higher than Khabib. The reality is Stipe too holds the record for longest title reign in heavyweight history. He defeated Fabricio Werdum for the title then defended them against Junior Dos Santos, Alistair Overeem and Francis Ngannou. Stipe too finished them all in one round except against Ngannou. That last one, he won every single round. Not a single win by Khabib is more impressive than what Stipe was able to do against Ngannou that night. Fact is, having the most title defences in lightweight division doesn't equate to Khabib having the best resume ever. Also, I'm not saying Stipe is the greatest fighter ever even though I want to believe that.

Last edited:
Back