Has Dustin surpassed Tony in the all time lightweight rankings?

Mark my words, if Dustin wins the belt you'll have multiple threads claiming he's the GOAT lightweight ahead of Khabib, lmao. Just watch.

A couple of points about his resume. One of Dustin's marquee LW wins was against a FW (Holloway), a couple of others were against a washed and overrated Conor. When looked at in that context Dustin's resume is still good but it's starting to get a bit overrated here imo.
He already is above Khabib. Khabib marquee wins are Al Iaquinta and Darrel Horcher

All time GOAT ranking for lightweight so far

Khabib
BJ
Gomi
Edgar
Eddie

I guess you could argue maybe he could be fifth.

Pettis resume is better than Eddie’s

I like the rest of your list

Dustin passed Tony. It's closer than alot think.

Mark my words, if Dustin wins the belt you'll have multiple threads claiming he's the GOAT lightweight ahead of Khabib, lmao. Just watch.

A couple of points about his resume. One of Dustin's marquee LW wins was against a FW (Holloway), a couple of others were against a washed and overrated Conor. When looked at in that context Dustin's resume is still good but it's starting to get a bit overrated here imo.
Rationale posting here. I've been a fan of Dustin since I saw fightville years ago. Dustin is definitely getting into the overrated sphere.

A prime Tony Ferguson would beat prime Poirier. And I'm like Poirier way more than Ferguson but we have to be objective people.

yes until dustin loses again. then hes a bum who was overrated

He's 20-3 at lw so far, with victories over former lw champions: Pettis, Eddie, Gaethje and McCregor.
So yeah.

Last edited:
Of course. What would be an argument to the contrary TS?

Thing Tony has over the other interim champs is because he never fought Khabib there's plausible deniability he would have won while with Justin G and Dustin we know they didn't. Similar advantage to Hendo and Jones v the other LHW greats. I mean Khabib probably wins but Tony was a unique matchup for him size wise and we don't know that for certain.

This is a fear for Dustin I suspect. He does get the fight against Charles and would hopefully defend the belt against someone new if he wins.

This is what happened to Cain on HW division. He fought two fighters five times in a two year period and his prime then ended due to injuries taking toll.

All time GOAT ranking for lightweight so far

Khabib
BJ
Gomi
Edgar
Eddie

I guess you could argue maybe he could be fifth.

Not sure about Frankie at this stage. 2 great wins over BJ, a win and a draw over a very good Maynard, a very good win over Sherk and good wins over Griffin and Jim Miller.

Vs

2 x wins over Conor, Gaethje a win and a NC with Eddie, Pettis, Holloway, Hooker, CDF and Miller.

Edgar is impressive just by the fact that he would have made a natural Featherweight fighter. All those wins or even close losses at LW really say something about his ability to me.

Edgar is impressive just by the fact that he would have made a natural Featherweight fighter. All those wins or even close losses at LW really say something about his ability to me.

As an overall pound for pound fighter I agree, in a pure discussion about the best lightweights I don't think it should be taken into account.

Poirier is at #7 (behind Khabib, Penn, Alvarez, Edgar, RDA & Bendo) and El Cucuy is at #8 on my personal all-time lightweight rankings. If Tony is outside of your all time top 10 lightweight list, you're either uneducated or a hater.

Here's how I see the resumes of both:
7 notable wins
- 2017 Pettis
- 2018 Gaethje
- 2018 Alvarez
- 2019 Holloway
- 2020 Hooker
- 2021 McGregor x2
6 notable wins
- 2015 Thomson (criminally underrated fighter)
- 2015 Barboza
- 2016 RDA
- 2017 Kevin Lee
- 2018 Pettis
- 2019 Cerrone

CDF and Miller
2015 Diego Ferriera is not a notable win and neither is Lyme disease Miller. The Miller fight in particular dropped Poirier's stock and Poirier would have lost in a 5 round fight.

As an overall pound for pound fighter I agree, in a pure discussion about the best lightweights I don't think it should be taken into account.

That is true. His record at LW for the UFC stands nonetheless. His only negative is two losses to Henderson at the end of his LW tenure. His loss to Maynard was early and doesn't count as much to me.

Back