Has Cruz ever faced a proper "knockout artist?"

Platinum

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Faber - Not really a knockout artist, usually ends his fights w/ submissions. Was able to knock down Cruz a few times.
T.J Dillashaw - A well rounded high pace muay thai fighter without proper knockout power. Was able to tag Cruz as well.
Takeya Mizugaki - Needless to say
DJ - A natural flyweight - not a knockout artist.
Benavidez - A natural flyweight - not a knockout artist
Jorgensen - Not a knockout artist
Bowles - Not a knockout artist
Ian Mccall - Not a knockout artist

8_medium.gif

SkeletalHandsomeIndigobunting.gif

ExhaustedLongLabradorretriever.gif

This is the first guy that is actually his size or even bigger, with legit knockout power w/ boxing and wrestling credentials. Obviously he is still a lot more greener in the sport, but you can't ignore the fact that he has ran through everybody that he's faced in the UFC so far. How legit is his wrestling? We'll see tonight. How high is his "level" - nobody knows for sure.

Dom isn't known for his knockout power, so Garbrandt will be willing and WILL stand in the pocket with him throwing bombs. He has the technique, power and speed to catch Dom. Dom is hard to hit but he is not unhittable by any means. Being a boxer Garbrandt knows not to over-extend & won't go crazy if he gets a knockdown.

I won't be surprised if Dom beats him 50-45 but i won't be surprised to see Dom on his ass either. He has never really faced a fighter that poses the exact same threat.

Discuss

Last edited:
Lets change the question..

Has Cruz ever fought anyone who has actually landed a clean punch?

Let's change the question again.

If I have 1 egg and a cup of flour and a cup of milk. Is that enough to make pancakes with?

He hasn't and he isn't fighting one tonight either, Cody couldn't KO that guy who got KO'd by a jobber a couple weeks ago.

Lets change the question..

Has Cruz ever fought anyone who has actually landed a clean punch?
Yes.
Every single person he's ever fought. Watch the actual fights.
Oh except maybe Jorgenson

No Dad is not proper knockout artist

Cody hasn't fought ANYBODY in the top 5. I wouldn't really call him a Knockout Artist personally, unless he can really do that to guys in the top 5 and the champion. I guess we'll see tonight.

Plus almost nobody lands on Dom very clean. TJ said he did a couple times really hard, and he was surprised at how well Dom took the punches.

Edit: I also have never seen Cody throw a full straight punch. I don't think he'll hit Dom very much if he is spamming short hooks, unless he gets Cruz up against the cage.

I think the biggest problem for Cody in this fight is he is fully reliant on the KO to win the fight. I don't even think Cody believes he can win a decision. If Dom can get through the first 5-10 minutes and figure out Cody's rhythm its going to be a bad night for Cody.

And to answer TS, the last guy he hit with homerun power was Joey Benz way back when. But he swings wide, and doesn't generate power in tight hooks like Cody does.

So no. Not really.
Jorgenson had decent power, but not that "shut you off" with one shot power.

Cody hasn't fought ANYBODY in the top 5. I wouldn't really call him a Knockout Artist personally, unless he can really do that to guys in the top 5 and the champion. I guess we'll see tonight.

Plus almost nobody lands on Dom very clean. TJ said he did a couple times really hard, and he was surprised at how well Dom took the punches.
TJ has nowhere near the power that Cody has IMO.

Yeah that's the thing. Everyone gets hit, even Dom. But I think people will be surprised that the least hit guy in the UFC also happens to have a really good chin.

Faber - Not really a knockout artist, usually ends his fights w/ submissions. Was able to knock down Cruz a few times.
T.J Dillashaw - A well rounded high pace muay thai fighter without proper knockout power. Was able to tag Cruz as well.
Takeya Mizugaki - Needless to say
DJ - A natural flyweight - not a knockout artist.
Benavidez - A natural flyweight - not a knockout artist
Jorgensen - Not a knockout artist
Bowles - Not a knockout artist
Ian Mccall - Not a knockout artist

8_medium.gif

SkeletalHandsomeIndigobunting.gif

ExhaustedLongLabradorretriever.gif

This is the first guy that is actually his size or even bigger, with legit knockout power w/ boxing and wrestling credentials. Obviously he is still a lot more greener in the sport, but you can't ignore the fact that he has ran through everybody that he's faced in the UFC so far. How legit is his wrestling? We'll see tonight. How high is his "level" - nobody knows for sure.

Dom isn't known for his knockout power, so Garbrandt will be willing and WILL stand in the pocket with him throwing bombs. He has the technique, power and speed to catch Dom. Dom is hard to hit but he is not unhittable by any means. Being a boxer Garbrandt knows not to over-extend & won't go crazy if he gets a knockdown.

I won't be surprised if Dom beats him 50-45 but i won't be surprised to see Dom on his ass either. He has never really faced a fighter that poses the same threat.

Discuss
Everything you said is true. But it's a manlet division. It's supposed to be a dull division led by a guy who wins decisions like Mighty Mouse. Wanting a KO is like calling for an out of the park home run at a little league game.

Been a while. Dom likened Cody to Bowles IIRC, which I feel is a foolish comparison. I watched that fight in the arena and Dom clowned him into a broken hand and giving up on the stool. But Cody is faster and more dangerous all around than Bowles was. Dom might eat one he's not expecting in this fight.

The good thing for Dom is Grabrandt tends to keep his head on line a lot of the time while exchanging. He can exploit that tendency.

Dom is actually really cool
His dog makes him look like a good dude like a superhero sidekick
In the other hand Cody didn't deliver platinum material prefight
I'm confused

Back