Has Bones' Wrestling Declined Over The Years?

DoUEvenLiftBro

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When Bones first was in the UFC, he tossed guys around relatively effortlessly. Now, I know that Stephan Bonnar was never a great wrestler, but wasn't taking down Matt Hamill, Brandon Vera, Vladimir Matyushenko, and Ryan Bader with ease pretty damn impressive? All 4 had pretty good wrestling backgrounds, and Bones got them down like nothing right away. Since becoming champion, he really hasn't displayed that wrestling dominance.

He's had to rely on it less, but I highly doubt he's lost his double, breh. Jones is still a fucking game pitbull on the matt.

He's developed his stand up to the point where we haven't seen his wrestling too much lately it his bjj

Nah, but his movement damn sure declined. He was extremely springy in his earlier days. Now he just plods most of the time. Could be because he's filled out a ton. Guy is a hell of a lot stronger now. Could be to the detriment of his agility.

He's had to rely on it less, but I highly doubt he's lost his double, breh. Jones is still a fucking game pitbull on the matt.

It was both the double and clinch. He threw Matt Hamill to the ground from the clinch like a sack of potatoes. I would have never thought this same guy would struggle to take down Rampage or Gustaffson or Teixiera. He had better looking wrestling than GSP when he came on the scene.

He sure as hell had a hard time taking Rampage down, took Chael down rather easily though.

More like a puppy. Arlovski is the pitbull at Jackson's

He sure as hell had a hard time taking Rampage down, took Chael down rather easily though.

I think we know Chael doesn't really have good defensive wrestling. Rashad did the same to him. Pre-champ Bones throws Chael down and finishes him in a minute. I was surprised Sonnen lasted so long.

Well people also train their counter wrestling heavily against him now as well. Bonnar, Hammil, Vera, and others thought they'd be fine with what they know. People now train TDD and don't really wrestle him offensively at all it's full defense. The only person who did was Gus and to a lesser extent Glover.

I'm sure it has something to do with the level of competition increasing as his career progressed, and fighters preparing for his wrestling. Bonner, Matyushenko, Vera, and Hamill aren't exactly Evans, Rampage, Gus, and Texiera.

See, I'm reasonable mayng
Stay safe on them dubbs

tumblr_inline_muhln4bFEh1rymbrg.gif

See, I'm reasonable mayng
Stay safe on them dubbs

Regna terrae, cantata Deo, psallite Cernunnos,

Regna terrae, cantata Dea psallite Aradia.

caeli Deus, Deus terrae,

Humiliter majestati gloriae tuae supplicamus

Ut ab omni infernalium spirituum potestate,

Laqueo, and deceptione nequitia,

Omnis fallaciae, libera nos, dominates.

Exorcizamus you omnis immundus spiritus

Omnis satanica potestas, omnis incursio,

Infernalis adversarii, omnis legio,

Omnis and congregatio secta diabolica.

Ab insidiis diaboli, libera nos, dominates,

Ut coven tuam secura tibi libertate servire facias,

Te rogamus, audi nos!

Ut inimicos sanctae circulae humiliare digneris,

Te rogamus, audi nos!

Terribilis Deus Sanctuario suo,

Cernunnos ipse truderit virtutem plebi Suae,

Aradia ipse fortitudinem plebi Suae.

Benedictus Deus, Gloria Patri,

Benedictus Dea, Matri gloria!

I think he just relies on it less. It would not make sense to engage in a wrestling match with DC anyway.

Back