Has anyone's thoughts changed on Gus' chances?

I really think people don't give WILL too much credit.

The will to go and get it.

The will is what made Weidman for guns blazing at that moment where all Anderson's opponents just stood there.

Cain stole JDS' will and what became of him for the rest of the fight? He took his soul.

Jones will win this fight, but I'd never count out someone like Gus. He has the size, strength, technique and he has the will.

If Jones is anything like Georges or Anderson who not only is going to beat Gus, he is going to do it in dominating fashion. Expect Gus to be finished.

There's always a chance , however slim it might be. Cannot wait for this fight.

The UFC are very good at hypnotising people into believing that a fight will be competitive.

When I first heard that Hardy was fighting GSP I spat my drink everywhere with laughter. By the time the UFC had finished with me, I was on bended knees, sweating and praying for George's safety.

The UFC are very good at hypnotising people into believing that a fight will be competitive.

When I first heard that Hardy was fighting GSP I spat my drink everywhere with laughter. By the time the UFC had finished with me, I was on bended knees, sweating and praying for George's safety.

Gustafsson ain't Hardy.

No offense to Hardy but Gus is 10 times the fighter than Hardy.

I think Gus wins... first announcement I was probably a little reserved but now I think he will win. I think he catches Jones and its all over.

I think Gus wins... first announcement I was probably a little reserved but now I think he will win. I think he catches Jones and its all over.

If serious would you like to indulge in a little Av/Sig bet?That's only if you're actually serious also it would only be for Gus to win he wouldn't have to finish Jones or anything.

The debate on Alex got skewed early on because Jon's fans have been working hard to convince people he should be fighting MWs instead of a guy his size and talent. :rolleyes:

We've since then had a more nuanced debate than "he'll get taken down and raped by elbows!" so the current hype is where it should be, with Alex as the underdog but not any more so than the guys Jon previously fought.

Not really, the style match up hasn't changed a bit.

Do I think he has a better chance based on your assumption it will be more competitive than you thought

..No..I would say your thread accomplished nothing and didn't help Gustafssons case for winning.

I'm glad you feel this way but this is more so people's opinions about Gus rather than trying to conjuring up some magic that would help Gus win.

Not really, Gus is still the better striker and Jones is still the better wrestler/grappler.

My opinion of Gus vs other top contenders has changed since Lyoto and Rashad did a worse job than I expected in their recent fights against Davis, Rogerio and Hendo. The areas they need to excel at to beat Gus have been looking worse. That's sort of good news, the right man is fighting for the title.

LOL. For every big fight that's mismatchy after the commercials(which are really bad this time) after the same fomula UFC hype countdown and hype interviews tons of people say this. Yeah I mean that commerical they have similar reach and Gus is tall!!! I'm convinced UFC, brillaint. hype. MMA is easy you just have to be a freak or tall.

What better way to show the easily influenced masses this fight is close. Just tell them....on TV of course!!! Show Bruce Buffer's head explode. Well that changes everything in my mind!! Did you hear what Joe 'Che Mills is one of the best WW's before his UFC co-main event' Rogan told me about this fight?

I dont get it, why the 180? What he's done in the cage and his resume hasn't changed at all. Not one bit. The only difference is now there's a bunch of commericals and videos hyping you to get you to give the UFC your money.

BTW, it just wasn't the countdown show, as I stated the seed was planted by reading many sherdogger's post. A countdown show wouldn't be enough to dissuade my original position. For instance, I still think Renan is going to bring the pain this Saturday, despite how good Wineland looked on the countdown show. But after reading many threads which theorized why Gus has a legitimate chance to make it competitive, the countdown show was the icing on the cake.

I have to say I am glad I was enlightened about Gus' capabilities before this fight as I was definitely underestimating at one point and time.

Not only did he put on the exact fight I wanted, he proved to me he's capable of winning. If people's opinions weren't changed on Gus before hand, I'm sure they are now.

I don't know what's going to happen on Saturday but, I do know I will be wearing my Gus shirt and supporting him. I'm not surprised a lot of people have written him off. He doesn't come from the traditional places most contenders come from and not grabbing people's attention like a Machida, or Rashad did. He's relatively and unremarkable and unknown to many and most. However this guy can fight and he seemingly gets better with each one. A lot of people will be quick to throw the Phil Davis out there as there biggest means of ammunition but Gus hasn't been the same fighter since. Gus may not wi n this fight and clearly Jones is the favourite, but Gus will come to fight and he will bring the war to Jones' front door and put up a much better fight than most are expecting.

Gus surprised me, tbh. I didn't expect him to just falter but I didn't except him to have such an easy time stuffing the takedowns which changed the entire fight from a guaranteed win for Jones to such a barn burner.

So with that said, I'd definitely see his chances higher next time but not by that much because I think the champ will be back hungrier and nastier than ever.

Back