Has anyone's thoughts changed on Gus' chances?

It is mma and crazy shit can happen....

but that said, Gus has as little of a chance as any challenger in recent history.

It is the matchup- Jones takes down ANYONE at will and Gus has already gotten beat on the ground.

Also, everyone is really high on Gus' striking, and it is very good, but Jones' kicking game is the x factor people are missing on the feet. Long range kicks + takedown threat (and ZERO threat of being taken down) + clinch advantage = striking edge to Jones too.

Shit happens, but I see this as a very easy fight for Jones. I've been wrong before but I just don't see Gus having the ability to stay on his feet in this fight and I think he gets mauled on the ground and subbed or the ref steps in, and I think that could easily happen in the first round.

I think the fight will be more competitive early on but as the fight enters the latter stages of the 2nd RD Jones will wear Gus down and eventually submit him.

When this fight was announced I gave Gus a good shot to win.....but now leading up to the fight....my confidence in Gus has gone down. I still think he can win....just im leaning towards Jones more.

But Gus hasn't fought since last Dec....his been at Alliance training his ass off......a young fighter improves fast so we don't know how much better he is

Gustafsson is unlike anybody Jones has ever fought. However, Jones is unlike Gustafsson has ever fought. If Gustafsson can impose his speed advantage (yes, he has this, Glover believes so too), his movement, footwork and boxing then Jones will be desperately going for the takedown. Will he get it? I'm sure at some point he will. Can he finish there? It remains to be seen. Gustafsson is damn good at getting back to his feet (ask Te-Huna before Gus even trained much wrestling) and Gustafsson is also a bitch to hit with GnP from guard (again, ask Te-Huna, a fight way back then).

Jones thinks his boxing is far better than it actually is. If he throws kicks, he too can succumb to being taken down (Gus has very good takedowns). I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones finally taken down by Gus, at that. He took Shogun down 6 or 7 times and many of those times it was pretty damn easy for him to do (not that Shogun has good TD, but, Gustafsson's TD's were pretty tight). I see Jones getting caught, absolutely, whether he doesn't panic or not remains to be seen. Gustafsson drops guys usually in the first minute (or literally half minute) so there's something to think about. Gus is a very FAST starter and if Jones isn't prepared to handle that then he's going to be shook for the rest of the fight, assuming he makes it out of being dropped the first time.

One of the best things about MMA is that anyone can lose on any given night. Until the final bell rings, Gus has a chance at landing that punch or kick as long as he is still moving. Of course, I think the odds are heavily in Jones favor, but as Matt Serra, Werdum, and others have shown, anything can happen!

How can hardcore MMA fans actually say a fighter has "no chance"???

the Gustaffson I've seen doesn't have a chance. If he's improved significantly in the last 9 months in the right areas he has some chance. His best shot at beating Jones is Jones making a huge mistake or getting injured.

It is mma and crazy shit can happen....

but that said, Gus has as little of a chance as any challenger in recent history.

It is the matchup- Jones takes down ANYONE at will and Gus has already gotten beat on the ground.

Also, everyone is really high on Gus' striking, and it is very good, but Jones' kicking game is the x factor people are missing on the feet. Long range kicks + takedown threat (and ZERO threat of being taken down) + clinch advantage = striking edge to Jones too.

Shit happens, but I see this as a very easy fight for Jones. I've been wrong before but I just don't see Gus having the ability to stay on his feet in this fight and I think he gets mauled on the ground and subbed or the ref steps in, and I think that could easily happen in the first round.

It's funny, when I made this thread I thought there would be more people on the proverbial bandwagon but it seems more sentiments mirror this post.

Even though these were close to my initial thoughts, there is still some hope in me that says Gus makes it a good fight.

When this fight was first scheduled, I gave Gus no chance to win or even make it competitive. In my mind, Jones was just supremely better. Over the past several months of listening to the opinion's of other Sherdoggers and even watching the UFC countdown, Wednesday night, I find myself thinking this match will be much more competitive than I originally thought.

Even though I still pick Jones to win this match, I feel like I've been won over by the Gus hype, and I think this will be a solid test for JBJ.
The UFC machine has you convinced he has a chance.... but really he has slim to no chance.

What would the commercials look like if they were like, "Get ready, Jones is going to obliterate his next challenger."

I don't know what's going to happen on Saturday but, I do know I will be wearing my Gus shirt and supporting him. I'm not surprised a lot of people have written him off. He doesn't come from the traditional places most contenders come from and not grabbing people's attention like a Machida, or Rashad did. He's relatively and unremarkable and unknown to many and most. However this guy can fight and he seemingly gets better with each one. A lot of people will be quick to throw the Phil Davis out there as there biggest means of ammunition but Gus hasn't been the same fighter since. Gus may not wi n this fight and clearly Jones is the favourite, but Gus will come to fight and he will bring the war to Jones' front door and put up a much better fight than most are expecting.

I believe in Gus. Jones is master at the game, but he is human. I see Gus being very aggressive and not letting Jones set the pace.

I really think people don't give WILL too much credit.

The will to go and get it.

The will is what made Weidman for guns blazing at that moment where all Anderson's opponents just stood there.

Cain stole JDS' will and what became of him for the rest of the fight? He took his soul.

Jones will win this fight, but I'd never count out someone like Gus. He has the size, strength, technique and he has the will.

When this fight was first scheduled, I gave Gus no chance to win or even make it competitive. In my mind, Jones was just supremely better. Over the past several months of listening to the opinion's of other Sherdoggers and even watching the UFC countdown, Wednesday night, I find myself thinking this match will be much more competitive than I originally thought.

Even though I still pick Jones to win this match, I feel like I've been won over by the Gus hype, and I think this will be a solid test for JBJ.

Do I think he has a better chance based on your assumption it will be more competitive than you thought

..No..I would say your thread accomplished nothing and didn't help Gustafssons case for winning.

I am beginning to think more and more that he has a legitimate chance, actually.

Jones by sub though

I've felt for a while Gus is the biggest threat to Jones. I think he'll prove himself a worthy adversary on the 21st and will shock a lot of nay-sayers, win or lose.

Yes I couldnt agree more. To begin with, I gave Gus a fighting chance. But since the countdown show and discussions I have read on here I am starting to feel as though Gus is being underestimated.

Firstly I believe Gus is without a doubt the toughest opponent that would have faced Jones. Secondly, I believe Gus would have handled all of the guys Bones did in a similar manner.

I still believe Jones has more tools to win and will, when all is said and done - pull out the win. However, I wont be completely shocked if Gus pulls it out.

The most critical part of the fight will be - how Gus defends the takedown. And if he does get taken down, how does he deal with it.

I really hope he has worked his TD defence to the max will Phil Davis. Secondly, I would hope he has worked on his submission defence.

Strictly speaking, for Gus to pull out the win....... will be a long hard fought decision where he stuffs the takedown and out boxes jones. Or, he manages to score a first round KO.

Final prediction, Jones submission round 3

How can hardcore MMA fans actually say a fighter has "no chance"???

I've been wondering the same thing. People underestimate Gus big time (although I'm also about 80% sure he'll lose). There were some hardcores that really thought Sonnen or Rampage could beat Bones.

I don't get how they suddenly think Gus has no chance. :(

LOL. For every big fight that's mismatchy after the commercials(which are really bad this time) after the same fomula UFC hype countdown and hype interviews tons of people say this. Yeah I mean that commerical they have similar reach and Gus is tall!!! I'm convinced UFC, brillaint. hype. MMA is easy you just have to be a freak or tall.

What better way to show the easily influenced masses this fight is close. Just tell them....on TV of course!!! Show Bruce Buffer's head explode. Well that changes everything in my mind!! Did you hear what Joe 'Che Mills is one of the best WW's before his UFC co-main event' Rogan told me about this fight?

I dont get it, why the 180? What he's done in the cage and his resume hasn't changed at all. Not one bit. The only difference is now there's a bunch of commericals and videos hyping you to get you to give the UFC your money.

Last edited:
I think in this match we're going to see just how advanced JJ is compared to the rest of the LHW's. He easily blows thru Gus.

Back